After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.9.2 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.4] (complete!

Post by Iris »

More specifically...
Spoiler:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Eru_Iluvatar

Re: After the Storm 0.9.2 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.4] (complete!

Post by Eru_Iluvatar »

Got it! Don't know how I missed that before; thought I looked everywhere. Thanks
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.9.3 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.2] (complete!)

Post by Iris »

Version 0.9.3 is out.

Another fast-tracked release, this time because of a rather serious issue reported by bumbadadabum on IRC a little less than an hour ago, affecting E3S2.1 (“Return to Raelthyn”).
03:21:54 <bumbadadabum> shadowm: I found a bug in AtS E3S2.
03:22:07 <bumbadadabum> Every movement seems to trigger the statue dialog
The complete changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.9.3:
--------------
* General:
  * Solved wmlxgettext error on themes/ats-cutscene.cfg due to bug fix in
    previous version.

* Graphics:
  * New or updated items: goal highlight overlay.

* Scenarios:
  * E3S2.1 - Return to Raelthyn:
    * Fix Adavyan’s backstory event being triggered by every player move on
      the map.
  * E3S10 - Blood:
    * Fixed viewport being permanently locked after the third stage begins on
      Wesnoth 1.11.x.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.9.3 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.4] (complete!

Post by Iris »

I just updated Future_History (more specifically, Irdya_After_the_Fall) in the wiki to take into account various things that happen in AtS or changed during AtS’s development. Hopefully I didn’t miss anything, although there are of course plenty of things that just don’t make sense to mention in there.

The page is full of unmarked spoilers, of course. Not that anyone cares.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.9.4 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.2] (complete!)

Post by Iris »

Version 0.9.4 is out.

The complete changelog for this version follows:

Version 0.9.4:
--------------
* General:
  * Solved "could not open image 'misc/ellipse-none-leader-*" errors on
    Wesnoth 1.11.5 and later, affecting certain cutscenes including but not
    limited to E2S12.

* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Anya, Elynia.

* Scenarios:
  * E1S2 - High Pass:
    * Solve [target] derprecation warnings on Wesnoth 1.11.5 and later.
  * E1S4 - Terror at Dusk:
    * Updated map to use the ^Ftd palm forest terrain on Wesnoth 1.11.x instead
      of the denser ^Ft tropical forest.
  * E1S10 - Tears:
    * Solve [target] and protect_leader derprecation warnings on Wesnoth 1.11.5
      and later.
  * E1S11.1 - Return to Wesmere, part 1:
    * Solve protect_leader derprecation warning on Wesnoth 1.11.5 and later.
  * E2S1 - By the Moonlight:
  * E2S2 - The Heart Forest:
  * E2S7 - Proximus:
  * E2S8 - And then there was Chaos:
  * E2S9 - New Hive:
  * E2S10 - The Betrayal:

* Units:
  * Changed the faerie race's internal id from 'fairy' to 'faerie', and
    updated image paths accordingly. For compatibility, units on the map and
    recall lists with the old race id and image paths will be automatically
    fixed when loading a saved game, but the code in charge of this is not
    all-inclusive. When in doubt, players are advised to resume from the last
    start-of-scenario save available.
  * Added smoke effects to the Iron Golem's ranged attack animation.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: After the Storm 0.9.4 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.4] (complete!

Post by Astoria »

2 releases within a week?! It seems Christmas came early this year.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
jmaster

Post by jmaster »

Hello. Thank you for your campaings (both of them), they have interesting plot and, imho, are the best campaigns so far.

I want to ask: is it possible to support old 1.8 version of battle for Wesnoth? I ask it because I'd like to play it on my android tablet and the only version ported to this OS is 1.8... If it can be done - can you add compatability in one of the next versions? Thank you again :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

jmaster wrote:I want to ask: is it possible to support old 1.8 version of battle for Wesnoth? I ask it because I'd like to play it on my android tablet and the only version ported to this OS is 1.8... If it can be done - can you add compatability in one of the next versions? Thank you again :)
Thanks for the interest, but I’m afraid I don’t have a positive answer for this. AtS currently uses a number of WML, Lua, and engine features introduced in Wesnoth 1.9.x (the development series that led to 1.10.x) that don’t have a direct equivalent in 1.8.x, and it also relies on several improvements and bug fixes (some of them rather critical) that were never made available in that branch. Backporting AtS would involve an enormous amount of coding and testing work, and possibly introduce a vast array of issues and limitations.

Incidentally, an ancient and very early version (0.2.1a) of the campaign is available from the 1.8.x add-ons server instance — I should probably remove that. A complete version of IftU, on the other hand, is also available there.

(The reason AtS currently supports both 1.10.x and 1.11.x with the same codebase is specifically a feature I introduced in 1.9.5 to allow altering code depending on the current Wesnoth version, plus the fact that Wesnoth 1.10.x and 1.11.x are still mostly compatible except for a few rare exceptions and features that I just don’t need to use in the campaign yet, such as the new animations syntax. 1.8 support would require either very intrusive changes or maintaining an entirely separate codebase altogether.)
Gedanke

Post by Gedanke »

I'm encountering an odd bug:

On Episode 1, Scenario 3 (Civil War), consistently on turn 4 when the dialogue exchange occurs between the three protagonist heroes and Unide, for some reason the Unide unit disappears. Dialogue continues, albeit absent the Unide character's lines. All villages owned by the (green) faction lose their ownership, and consequently that faction is no longer able to recruit units.

This happens every time, on both 1.11.4 and 1.10.6.

I can't recall this happening while playing version 0.9.3, so I think it's specific to 0.9.4.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Gedanke wrote:On Episode 1, Scenario 3 (Civil War), consistently on turn 4 when the dialogue exchange occurs between the three protagonist heroes and Unide, for some reason the Unide unit disappears. Dialogue continues, albeit absent the Unide character's lines. All villages owned by the (green) faction lose their ownership, and consequently that faction is no longer able to recruit units.

[...]

I can't recall this happening while playing version 0.9.3, so I think it's specific to 0.9.4.
Thanks for the report! According to my logs, the faulty code was introduced in version 0.9.2. I’ll try to make a bug-fix release available as soon as possible, but in the meantime you can replace the code file for E1S3 with the one attached to this post below. You will need to restart the scenario from the start-of-scenario save after replacing the code.
03_Civil_War.cfg
(27.69 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
The file you need to replace is named 03_Civil_War.cfg and it can be found in <user data directory>/data/add-ons/After_the_Storm/episode1/scenarios/. To find the correct Wesnoth user data directory location for your platform, check the relevant section of EditingWesnoth in the wiki, or consult Wesnoth’s terminal/stderr output.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.9.5 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.5] (complete!)

Post by Iris »

Version 0.9.5 is out.

The main change for this release is the previously mentioned fix for a bug causing one of the elvish leaders in E1S3 to disappear forever at the beginning of a dialog event with Galas. In spite of the magnitude of the bug, this didn’t seem enough to warrant having a 0.9.5 release instead of 0.9.4.1, so I decided to go back and revise some art (including a minor palette tweak that didn’t land in 0.9.4 because insert generic reason here) and make tiny cosmetic code changes in a couple of scenarios.

tl;dr: The complete changelog for this version follows:

Version 0.9.5:
--------------
* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Elynia (E3), Magnum Suit, Elyssa (E3), Ivyel,
    Allyna, E3S13 bystanders.

* Scenarios:
  * E1S2 - High Pass:
    * Added time over event.
  * E1S3 - Civil War in the North:
    * Fixed Unidë disappearing at the very beginning of her initial dialog with
      Galas at the end of the first turn of standard gameplay.
  * E1S4 - Terror at Dusk
    * Added time over event.
  * E1S9.1, E1S9.2, E1S9.3 - The Triad:
    * Added time over events.
  * E2S4 - Shifting Allegiances:
  * E2S6 - The Voyage Home:
    * Added floating labels to indicate banished Errant Souls.
  * E2S9 - New Hive:
  * E2S10 - The Betrayal:
Njord

Re: After the Storm 0.9.5 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.5] (complete!

Post by Njord »

It's been a nice long ride and I really enjoyed the battle action and the characterization of the units. Unfortunately for me, it looks like I'm not going to be able to quite finish the third campaign as I cannot seem to be able to defeat 7th level Zanghor no matter how I try, even using the jazzed-up combo attacks. Any advice?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The noctum/arcane rage combination is supposed to be quite powerful (x4 multiplier), so that is generally what you want to use against him at that point in conjunction with Elynia’s slowing attack and Fire Ghosts-based shielding. It is also instrumental to destroy all the Blood Cores during the previous stage (level 6) first, or else he will get the health buffs on top of his base level 7 stats — IIRC a fully buffed-up Zhangor at level 6 will have the same 550 HP as the unmodified level 7. Destroying the Blood Cores also increases the maximum HP of the two characters you control.
Njord

Post by Njord »

Thanks - that should help a lot! I had no idea about the Blood Cores. Again, great campaign!
shadowm wrote:The noctum/arcane rage combination is supposed to be quite powerful (x4 multiplier), so that is generally what you want to use against him at that point in conjunction with Elynia’s slowing attack and Fire Ghosts-based shielding. It is also instrumental to destroy all the Blood Cores during the previous stage (level 6) first, or else he will get the health buffs on top of his base level 7 stats — IIRC a fully buffed-up Zhangor at level 6 will have the same 550 HP as the unmodified level 7. Destroying the Blood Cores also increases the maximum HP of the two characters you control.
brendan_scott

Post by brendan_scott »

In AtS3 Outpost of Hell Bardyl packs up his bags and leaves when there are more pillars than bombs (stating that he can't blow up the pillars now). But killing all the enemy leaders is an alternative victory condition so bombs v pillars is irrelevant. The player shouldn't be defeated until end of turns. (0.9.4, hard)