Idea for new campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eru_Iluvatar

Idea for new campaign

Post by Eru_Iluvatar »

So I'm about to start making my first campaign and I was wondering what would be a better idea for one: a campaign based on the Third Servile War (most would know this as the story of Spartacus) or based off of the story of Hercules, in particular his 12 labors. Let me know which sounds better (I'll make both eventually, but it'll take a while). Obviously since both of these would not take place in Wesnoth, I may simply have the campaigns take place in our world and not Irdya, or I may adapt the stories so that they take place in Wesnoth (a slave rebellion in the Wesnothian Empire, or a demigod sent on tasks). I'm still learning WML so the campaigns won't be very advanced, but I'll do what I can. Thanks!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Idea for new campaign

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Eru_Iluvatar wrote:So I'm about to start making my first campaign and I was wondering what would be a better idea for one: a campaign based on the Third Servile War (most would know this as the story of Spartacus) or based off of the story of Hercules, in particular his 12 labors. Let me know which sounds better (I'll make both eventually, but it'll take a while).
Spartacus.
Obviously since both of these would not take place in Wesnoth, I may simply have the campaigns take place in our world and not Irdya, or I may adapt the stories so that they take place in Wesnoth
It would be best if you set your campaign in our world, cause if you were trying to make it take place in Wesnoth, you have to find a suitable period in the timeline, which is not an easy task. Another option would the world where Imperial Era takes place.
(a slave rebellion in the Wesnothian Empire, or a demigod sent on tasks)

The Kingdom of Wesnoth doesn't have slavetraders, nor do they have demigods, but the orcs, on the other hand do (what do you think the goblins are :lol2: ).
I'm still learning WML so the campaigns won't be very advanced, but I'll do what I can. Thanks!
Learning WML is like a walk in the park, you just need time and a clear head :) And remember, you can also copy code from other campaigns for your own creations (Just remember to ask the respective author's permission).
And welcome to the Forums.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I may simply have the campaigns take place in our world and not Irdya, or I may adapt the stories so that they take place in Wesnoth (a slave rebellion in the Wesnothian Empire, or a demigod sent on tasks).
As Knightmare said, wesnoth wasn't a slaver society, but it was not specified what happens after the Fall (explained for example in UtBS). There was an evil empire worshipping an archdemon, and it would be acceptable if they were slavers.
I'm still learning WML so the campaigns won't be very advanced, but I'll do what I can. Thanks!
Don't trust Knightmare about his reply here. Learning WML is easy, I needed just 4 hours of offline research by reading add-on and campaign codes and I made the first scenario. Additionally, it was on older, less coder-friendly versions.
Eru_Iluvatar

Post by Eru_Iluvatar »

I think I'll set it after the Fall; Dugi, in your Legend of the Invincibles (which I am nearly done with), you have the Gladiatrix levels; I could have a similar kingdom (without the demons).
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That was approximately something I was thinking about. In that case, its slavery and gladiator championships were a result of demonic corruption rather than the usual human evil, but because it existed in reality, it might exist there too.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Eru_Iluvatar wrote:So I'm about to start making my first campaign and I was wondering what would be a better idea for one: a campaign based on the Third Servile War (most would know this as the story of Spartacus) or based off of the story of Hercules, in particular his 12 labors. Let me know which sounds better (I'll make both eventually, but it'll take a while). Obviously since both of these would not take place in Wesnoth, I may simply have the campaigns take place in our world and not Irdya, or I may adapt the stories so that they take place in Wesnoth (a slave rebellion in the Wesnothian Empire, or a demigod sent on tasks). I'm still learning WML so the campaigns won't be very advanced, but I'll do what I can. Thanks!
The best is in my opinion to take a story as inspiration at most and write your own story for Wesnoth setting. I don't understand all the comments on Wesnoth society - as if this is fixed in any way and you can only write good guy vs. bad guy generic fantasy stories. It really isn't. If you print out all Wesnoth lore from mainline campaigns etc. you probably have less than 20 pages text. And nobody forces you to even be consistent with that. Medieval/Renaissance European societies were involved in slave trade long before the plantations in America even if it happened on a somewhat smaller scale and it wasn't the main mode of production at home.

What Lord Knightmare didn't say, there already is a campaign by him for Imperial Era that indeed features escaping orc gladiators (Up from Slavery), they are an independent faction in the Era. Not exactly Spartacus, but still. The Lavinians in Imperial Era are somewhat roman-inspired.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Another big issue in medieval history was that many civilians were "pressed" into service, basically forced into armies where the chance of dying was pretty high. This was pretty common since there were almost always different wars happening between everybody for years on end and they needed bodies for the already decimated armies.
Eru_Iluvatar

Post by Eru_Iluvatar »

What I like about the idea of Spartacus is that its one of the not very common cases which is a well-known story, using Wesnothian level technology, without the risk of copyright infringement.
taptap wrote:What Lord Knightmare didn't say, there already is a campaign by him for Imperial Era that indeed features escaping orc gladiators (Up from Slavery), they are an independent faction in the Era. Not exactly Spartacus, but still. The Lavinians in Imperial Era are somewhat roman-inspired.
What I don't like about that is that I don't want it to be orcish; one of the things that makes Spartacus' story so remarkable is that it was a bunch of slaves facing a disciplined, organized, and highly trained army. If orcs were the suppressors that wouldn't work because orcish armies are not disciplined; if humans were the suppressors it wouldn't work because orcs are portrayed as the "bad guys." One possibility, however, is to have humans and elves; humans could be forcing the elves to fight for their entertainment.
Eru_Iluvatar

Post by Eru_Iluvatar »

Or, even better, what if this takes place soon after the Fall in Wesmere, during the corruption of Zhangor? It could be human or elvish gladiators enslaved by the corrupted elves, who were using the combat as a sacrifice to Zhangor.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That might be a good idea. These elves were told to be really wicked with their unholy sacrifices, and no campaign covered these times as far as I know. And they also deserve being killed by those they tormented for their own, twisted pleasure.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Alright first of all I really don't understand why some people think every umc campaign has to be consistent with mainline history.
Secondly, why not drakes? Elves are usually portrayed as peaceful and catching enough elves to make a significant slave company might be difficult. Drakes on the other hand... they are strong creatures and I figure one drake could do a five-men's job. And besides, we could use more drake campaigns. But it's all up to you, of course :wink:
Oh and about wml: it's not really a problem, trust me, this forum has the best noob-support I know. Everyone is eager to help :mrgreen:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Eru_Iluvatar

Post by Eru_Iluvatar »

I'm working on the storyboard now, and throwing around ideas for how stuff will happen. but this got me thinking... one of the ideas i had was to throw in a hero people would know. I thought about having the defeat of Zhangor by Elynia and Argan, but decided that wouldn't fit with the rest of my campaign. Anlinde might pop up, but as a small role. But i was thinking: what about Kalenz? unless I am mistaken (I couldn't find a clear answer otherwise on any forum or wiki), he is still alive at the time of the Fall, in Lintanir Forest in retirement. Soon after the Fall I know that many elves fled to Wesmere because (thanks to Zhangor) it was surviving the new climate. It would make sense if Kalenz came too. I was just wondering if anyone knew otherwise about the fate of Kalenz, and if you thought it would be a good idea to throw him in there.