Multiple Units Recruitment

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Silverstorm

Multiple Units Recruitment

Post by Silverstorm »

Hi all,

First things first: I am new to the forum, and I can't write programs/codes at all.

Second: I like Wesnoth a lot.

Third: My suggestion/idea to enhance the speed and to facilitate the game would be to be able to select multiple units at once.

For example:

Main Char is in a castle and I select recruiting. At this point I would like to be able to input a number next to the unit in order to recruit simultaneously 3 units.

Total Gold: 100
Cost Unit Amount
2 Archer
3 Spearman
5 Mage

Total Gold: 78
Cost Unit Amount
2 Archer 2
3 Spearman 1
5 Mage 3

If I want to buy more units than I have gold, I simply can't chose the quantity of units I want.

Let me know if you understood, if you like the idea and if it is feasible or not.

Thanks.
Silverstorm
Max

Re: Multiple Units Recruitment

Post by Max »

in case you didn't know - there's a hot-key for recruit plus one to repeat the last recruit...
Silverstorm

Post by Silverstorm »

Max wrote:in case you didn't know - there's a hot-key for recruit plus one to repeat the last recruit...
1. Nope, I didn't know the "repeat" recruiting hotkey.
2. Still, I'd like to see an option as I've been describing. :)
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

:hmm: Umm-hmm.
and what would the function of this be? since Wesnoth is turn-based and not real time, saving time is not really that important and I think anyone who finds clicking on the menu too often to be tiring should get a little more exercise in thier lives! :wink:

Otherwise, adding this would not, in my opinion, "hurt" the game in anyway. It is an interesting suggestion and not without merit, all you need to do is convince others of its necessity.
Come on, I'm sure you've sold something before, what do we stand to gain?
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Actually, something like this is planned for the upcoming version.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
taptap

Post by taptap »

beetlenaut wrote:Actually, something like this is planned for the upcoming version.
But why would anyone want to recruit multiple units at once when you have no control on which hex they end?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

because they're playing as Undead and want to recruit a whole castle full of walking corpses :hmm:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

taptap wrote:
beetlenaut wrote:Actually, something like this is planned for the upcoming version.
But why would anyone want to recruit multiple units at once when you have no control on which hex they end?
It would make more sense with an alternate form of input to get recruits. For example, double click (or tap?) on a hex to recruit/recall there, or click and drag to select a group of hexes to recruit several of the same unit… I would find this more useful on devices with touch interfaces.
I will now resume lurking silently.
SFault

Post by SFault »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:Otherwise, adding this would not, in my opinion, "hurt" the game in anyway.
There are some events that are launched when certain unit is recruited. How would this apply on multiple recruiting? Would it be launched after the first recruit and then it would break the mass recruit process? Or would all the units be recruited (since they are the same type) and only after that the event would intervene?

But in general I kinda like the feature. More than often I just want to fill the castle with scouts at the first turn.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

How will it be implemented in the UI?