Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Astoria »

Dugi wrote:You mean most scenarios or almost all of chapters 1 and 2?
I've played chapter 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9, so that's most of the scenarios.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Fine, review it then, please.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Ooops. Finished the review, so i hoped you would tell me what you think about it (i will probably modify some of the layout):

Description: A huge campaign that will be 10 chapters long (9 chapters currently), and will have more than 200 scenarios. This campaign follows 2 heroes that find a way to eternal life, going through times, before and after the Fall, and witnessing some of the most important events in Wesnoth's history, like the raise of the second sun.

The player will be able to use humans, elves, but also undead and some special units, and will fight against basically anything you can imagine, going from orcs to demons and passing by some robots. It includes an item system, with enemy drops, crafting and gears, giving additions to units' normal attacks. The history permits to get a huge recall list, with level 4 units in the main races used and new AMLAs possibilities.

Summary: This campaign has a really long story, which explains some of Wesnoth's history that wasn't talked much about in other campaigns. Despite its length, it actually never gets boring because the story is well-done, stays really coherent, but also because of the scenarios' diversity, having huge battles but also some dungeons, and special objectives. I really like how this campaign makes a mix of Wesnoth's turn-based system and the basic RPG's system, like spells, items, crafting and more… But also because it creates new strategies that can't be found in normal campaigns, thanks to the item system and AMLAs that weren't really used in other campaigns, while keeping Wesnoth's basic way of playing. The difficulty is pretty much standard, as easy being easy for everyone, and hard being really hard and most likely a huge tactical challenge. Though some scenarios in normal can be seen as really easy or really hard.

I'm really happy about this campaign because it permits to personalize your units depending on what you want them to be able to do with the AMLAs, but also with the huge item bank. I also liked the story, because i don't like how some part in Wesnoth's history are left unexplained, and this campaign goes through Irdya's history, filling some blanks. Finally, i would like to say that this campaign can be played again and again, as there are some secret scenarios, but also infinite possibilities with the items and AMLAs, which make each time completely different.

The bad sides: -the item inventory is slow (seems like it will be fixed), can be really annoying in the later parts
-the leaders can seem overpowered to unacquainted players though it changes as you advance
-the balance isn't complete yet, but it most likely will be done as soon as the story itself is finished
-there still are some bugs around, but none that stops from playing as far as i know.
-and last, big problem (starts crying) : THERE'S ONLY 1 CHAPTER LEFT BEFORE THE STORY ENDS!

Surroundings: 7
Design: 7
Story: 10
Fun: 10
Replay value: 9
Player note: 10

Review by: Raijer

I hope i didn't put too much of my personal feelings in it. (the caps part might get deleted depending on what you say).
Last edited by Raijer on June 4th, 2013, 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Good one. Pretty much concluding all comments that were posted in this topic. Can you please post it?

Bumbadabum, I suppose you can add something, I would be grateful if you added something negative.
Fraggel76

Re: Legend of the Invincibles Götterdämmerung

Post by Fraggel76 »

I can not find the 4 th seal here for the money of it. I got e ones in the NE, SE and w corners but keep on finding magically blocked ways to the last one any help?
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Please say which scenario it is (chap 8 got something like 16 and i don't know all of them by heart), and also, did you try reading the walkthrough ?

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The walkthrough contains the locations of these four seals for the case of getting stuck. Also, attacking demon despots can reveal it, and the locations with these seals will be tinted blue (but it might require locating and attacking a lot of demon despots).

From the walkthrough:
If you fail to learn where they are, they are in Stygian Caverns (under Grim Port, a peninsula on the southeast), Fortress of Blackened Dreams interior (on a peninsula on southwest), Chambers of Oblivion (under Island of Atrocity on northwest) and Tormentor's Burrow (under Unholy Realm on northeast).
Silux

Post by Silux »

Dugi wrote:
Silux wrote:So we are the gods of the gods(like Yarae) of demigods(Uria, Efraim and Lethalia)?
You didn't understand it. We are all humans in reality, but we can be elves, orcs, saints or gods in Wesnoth.
Of course i'm a human, but i can pull out tricks as Yarae does!
I even pulled out a demon on chapter 2 and renamed it Silux.
Later i made an entire custom unit and it was my avatar until chapter9.
I didn't make many changes on chapter9, just added the weapons i posted and added some gold at the start in the first scenario.
I don't like make units 10x powerful, but instead make the unit advance more than usual or make objects appear from nowhere:)
Dugi wrote: I have slightly edited the recipes (slightly increased the damage penalty of Thundering Revenge and changed the damage type to lightning, increased the damage of Guerrilla). They will appear in the next version.
Thanks for adding them! The bonus explosive is worth at least +75% damage so i thought a reduction between 20 and 50 is still on par with other weapons(i consider it a little more powerful than MarrowRend).The retribution ability is what will make it really shine, as get more than 100 damage triggers an extra chain bonus.On big units with damage and health will just go fine!
The Guerrilla version i was using is slightly stronger too.Anyway it's a poor's weapon and i prefer it to be cheap and common.It's fine even not to use it as weapon, but for the effects!
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

I'm not sure if fraggel speaks about the last chapter. Isn't Götterdammerung chap 8?

Having god's power makes it too easy ( though i might end up using debug for "Jungle Hell").
Also, i didn't notice but... I GOT 100 POSTS! ( I know it isn't really much, but still )
And that makes 102.

Also, if anyone find typos or english mistakes in my review, plz tell me, just so i can improve my english.
I already spotted some typos, will have to edit it (or people will correct it, but still tell me).

William Ernest Henley
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Small bug:
increase_atttacks in Deathlord.cfg for the xbow AMLA (extra t)

Also, I think that I'm not seeing my characters get xp from retribution kills (like the duelist mage returning damage to attacker), but not positive.
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Raijer
There are no seals, important directions nor magically sealed ways in chapter 8. So I assumed that he meant chapter 9.

I have found no grammatical errors in any of your posts yet, your english is pretty good (or at least better than mine, honed by over 3000 forum posts on various forums, writing a campaign almost as long as the entire mainline and hours in in multiplayer gaming). You've just made a mistake in the title, it's Legend of the Invincibles and not Legends of the Invincibles.
Congrats on getting over 100 posts, it's some kind of milestone.

@arobinson
Thanks for reporting the AMLA bug, fixed it.
Retribution wasn't coded to give experience for kills.

EDIT: The update is almost ready, I will start working on chapter 10 soon.
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

About retribution, that really stinks. You get a level 12 unit to one HP left and his attack kills him and you get no XP? Do you think that can be fixed?
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I haven't said that it can't be changed, I just said that it isn't a bug. If you want it to be different, fine then, I can change it.
Matherton

Post by Matherton »

Unstoring Objects

Hello again! I am still playing your campaign sort of obsessively, because it is great. However, I am currently playing chapter 7's Den of Evil (again!!! Because I absolutely could not beat Avengers, and so I started chapter 7 over again, focusing on Redeeming as much as possible this time), and I have hit a possible bug that I don't think I hit before in this scenario (though I believe I have encountered it once or twice elsewhere in the game). On turn 3, even when the unit is standing on a castle, I can only unstore objects that cannot be unequipped. I am playing 1.11.2, and I have the latest update installed.
Since Den of Evil is, for me (I am an enthusiastic and a determined Wesnoth player, not necessarily a skilled one), quite a difficult scenario, I would really, really like to be able to equip my recruits and recalls thoroughly.
Thanks!
-Melanie
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have found that bug recently. You were able to unstore equippable items on castles after turn 2 only if you had some items stored before the version where I added chapter 9. This means that it will work only on old saves. The error was basically that I wrote some lines two lines lower than I should have. I have fixed this, and I am finishing the last details of the update, I expect to update it tomorrow. You will have to replay the scenario from beginning then if you want the update to take effect there. Alternatively, you can post your save file here and I will fix the bug inside it and post it back.

If Avengers is too hard, maybe I might make it easier, the easy difficulty should be doable by everyone.

I am glad that you like my add-on :)