Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

vultraz
Developer

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by vultraz »

Crow_T wrote:Getting into the UI conversation, how much work would it take to put something like css or some other strong layout engine into wesnoth? I think having css (or even JS/JQuery) integration would add a ton of possibilities for UMC designers.
Most likely not going to happen. A lot of work was put into by Mordante to create the current, albeit incomplete grpahics library, and is quite unlikely to be replaced any time soon.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Silux wrote:i tried giving items to the units items, but it's a bit disheartening to see killed by two demons the units you just equipped.
Hm, getting it. They need the hitpoints from AMLA from chapter 8 and maybe also chapter 7. Adding some AMLA to all units you have at the start would be tedious. The possibility to start from later chapters is not considered permanent, as I said, so I am not going to find some complicated solutions. I was told that chapter 9 isn't very hard if you are continuing from previous chapters. I am thinking about decreasing some numerical properties of demons if you start with chapter 9, that should do the trick.
Silux wrote:Plants are more powerful than the same units of the same level and have more life than lvl7 units.
Yeah, but they cannot move, you can leave combat with them whenever you choose. They are also very vulnerable to some damage types.
Silux wrote:Please no more than lvl8 because they are a reliable redeem fodder
There are only two types of plants and two types of mushrooms.
Silux wrote:Can i design some thundersticks?
You're free to design any items, the only limitation is that they should not be totally boring (there is enough items with just extra damage and attacks), overpowered or too weird (no exp adding items). I am thinking rather about making thundersticks crafted-only, because there is only a single unit line that can use them.
Silux wrote:Why not replacing them with anti-demon gear?
The list of crafting recipes remains the same through the whole campaign. These items have a purpose in earlier parts. And both of these recipes also have other effects that might maybe come useful. The only item that is good against demons is the Holy Potion, that wrecks demons as well as undead, so you can design some recipe to a demon killing item.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Problem: In "Jungle Hell", the "teleport all units to leader" does not come back after 10 turns. Also, if you find the bug fast, can you tell me how to fix it? I'm a little blocked because i counted on it to get through this scenario.

Also, it might be the same for others scenario using this ability ("tundra" "arctic wastelands" and others), but i didn't need it for those so i can't say.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Silux

Post by Silux »

Just finished the chapter9(oh well i just finished reading the source code:P)
Finishing all the iterations until 50 of endless crusade would take me about 16hours...
Talking with Yarae was a good time^^
So we are the gods of the gods(like Yarae) of demigods(Uria, Efraim and Lethalia)?

I make games too, so i know what is good to create(maybe)^^

Code: Select all

[object]
        name= _ "Thundering Revenge"
        image=items/leather-pack.png
	number=588
	sort=weaponword
	obsidians=5
	topazes=5
	opals=1
	pearls=0
	diamonds=1
	rubies=1
	emeralds=0
	amethysts=1
	sapphires=0
	black_pearls=0
	[specials]
		{WEAPON_SPECIAL_EXPLOSIVE}
	[/specials]
	damage=-30
        damage_type=fire
	[effect]
		apply_to=new_ability
		[abilities]
			{ABILITY_RETRIBUTION}
		[/abilities]
	[/effect]
     [/object]
This has been funny to use for me with dwarvish snipers against plants!

[object]
        name= _ "Guerrilla"
         image=items/leather-pack.png
	number=591
	sort=weaponword
	 obsidians=6
	topazes=0
	opals=6
	pearls=0
	diamonds=0
	rubies=2
  	emeralds=0
	amethysts=0
 	sapphires=0
	black_pearls=0
	damage=-40
	[specials]
		{WEAPON_SPECIAL_HIT_AND_RUN}
	[/specials]
	[effect]
  		apply_to=new_ability
		[abilities]
			{ABILITY_CONCEALMENT}
		[/abilities]
	[/effect]
	[effect]
		apply_to=movement
		increase=2
	[/effect]
     [/object]
This what my dream weapon would be like.On warrior units it cripples them, but on units with bolas, poisoned knives or nets it would be fine as the name suggests!
jeffgreen

Post by jeffgreen »

It's not a bug but there is an inconsistency between LOTI1 which now allow items to be unstored at any time that a character is on a castle tile, and LOTI2 which still seems to limit it to the first two turns.
I don't mind which system is used, but I find that the change in rules between the the two parts irritating.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Raijer wrote:Problem: In "Jungle Hell", the "teleport all units to leader" does not come back after 10 turns. Also, if you find the bug fast, can you tell me how to fix it? I'm a little blocked because i counted on it to get through this scenario.
It was easy to find. The recharge of this possibility was broken in all scenarios after the initial one with this feature, Across the Barren Land. The only way to avoid having to replay the whole scenario is this: Open the save file as an archive. It contains one file, open it in a text editor, preferably one with minimum graphic quality, because it is too long for many editors. Use the search function to find a line (if there is more of them, do it for all of them) containing the text:

teleport_wait=0
replace it by:

teleport_wait=10
This will recharge it manually. To make it recharge as it should, use search to find this:

name="new turn"
You will find it in many locations, but try to edit the first one and the last one. Add this behind it:

[set_variable]
name="teleport_wait"
add=1
[/set_variable]
EDIT: I was trying to investigate your problem, but the error was not created by any event there, there was an error within the save file. Didn't you do anything strange in the scenario before the one where it first happened?
Silux wrote:So we are the gods of the gods(like Yarae) of demigods(Uria, Efraim and Lethalia)?
You didn't understand it. We are all humans in reality, but we can be elves, orcs, saints or gods in Wesnoth.

I have slightly edited the recipes (slightly increased the damage penaly of Thundering Revenge and changed the damage type to lightning, increased the damage of Guerrilla). They will appear in the next version.

@jeffgreen
That is weird, it should not be happening. I was told something was wrong, but I haven't investigated it yet. You helped me nicely by tracking the condition when it works and when it does not.
EDIT: Found it. It was not related to that. It was possible only if some outdated codes appeared in the save file.

EDIT #2: Fixed a lot of other problems, for example lavaflow in chapter 5 will remove all trapdoors and enemies will no longer come from there. Things to be done before I will update (mostly for me, but remind me something if you remember):
-Add a new unit (I know what, but not specifying)
-Add a new sprite for Krux and slightly alter his replies
-Edit scenario 1 and tutorial to make a better impression
-Make some enemies weaker in chapter 9 if starting with chapter 9

Guys, can somebody review LotI here? I am trying to persuade the developers to replace the downloads count on the add-ons server by reviews, that will be more helpful at assisting to choose an add-on to play, and helping the project of completing this article will help the cause I believe. It will need to create an account there, but it's trivial. I can't review my own campaign.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Thanks a lot for the fix, that worked perfectly, and really saved me.
Also, if you're talking about the "empty field" problem, i don't remind doing anything strange in the precedent scenario("gladiatrix"). I just took a hellish time to finish it (97 turns) cause the last boss killed me around 5 times before i got him, but nothing else. Maybe the fact that one of Vritra's units got killed? Though it shouldn't affect Efraim's part, but i can't think of anything else.
I might do the review, but i'm not really sure about how much to say, comparing what you did for IftU, and what was done for LoK... Was really surprised about that, looking at the number of scenarios in the campaigns.
Also, i don't think i can be objective about this campaign. It kinda makes a perfect mix with RPG and turn-based game from my point of view, so i might end up just saying something like "it's perfect, just play it" (lol).

William Ernest Henley
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Dugi wrote: Guys, can somebody review LotI here? I am trying to persuade the developers to replace the downloads count on the add-ons server by reviews, that will be more helpful at assisting to choose an add-on to play, and helping the project of completing this article will help the cause I believe. It will need to create an account there, but it's trivial. I can't review my own campaign.
Vultraz and I might do this one in the near future.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Raijer
Regarding the "empty field" problem, I don't think it's the cause neither, but I'll think of it. The impossibility to replicate it is the main difficulty, maybe it is random file corruption, change of one symbol making the unit type unreadable.

Most people who have played LotI commented that it was great. I think that it was bigkahuna who said that he was annoyed by the RPG micromanagement and that is all of the comments mentioning things that could not be fixed unlike bugs or balance... Another odd sides I can think about are the lack of final chapter, sometimes bad balance and bugs, although I am fixing them relentlessly. Just give it a try, it is free to edit, so anybody can add his opinions in case of disagreements.

@bumbadabum
I would be grateful, but afaik you haven't played it yet and it is quite long...
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

The RPG micro management annoyance is mostly because of the only big problem in the item system: it's slow.
When you start having a big inventory, just clicking on "items" to see the list will take around 10 sec... I personnally don't have any problem with that as i try to equip my units as soon as i get them, and i try to equip new items when they drop, as to escape that. But, if you start in a later chapter and you have to equip all your units in one scenario using the items given, i can understand that it gets a pain. The biggest problem is the fact that you have to go in and out for each item you want, taking 10 seconds each time.
I was trying to find bugs so i didn't think much about this (and also cause i try to get through by avoiding having to get more than 1 gear out at once), but a fix would be to permit to select all the items you want to get out, without having to reload the inventory for each, but i dunno if that wouldn't destroy the system you created. Or simply making an inner classification in the "items" menu, with a list of all the weapon/armor type (sword, mace... boots, helm...), and leading to what you're searching after that.

I will try to replicate the "empty field" problem using my precedent save, to see if it happens again.

Off the subject, if anyone's a native english speaker, can you tell me if i'm making any huge mistakes ? (i'm wondering about my english level)

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

gfgtdf has found a solution to it, translating it to lua to make it load 500 times faster (I experimentally verified that lua runs 500-1000 times faster than WML in operations of this kind). It is against the WML-only principle of this campaign, but in this case, there is no other way. I am just delaying this, because it would cause rather severe version incompatibility with some versions that aren't old enough yet (disappearance of items). It should come with 10th chapter.

This is one of the problems that will not appear in the final version. Just go on, it is one of the things you can note as odd sides.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Dugi wrote: @bumbadabum
I would be grateful, but afaik you haven't played it yet and it is quite long...
I have played all of Episode 2 and most of Episode 1, is that enough to voice an opinion?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

You skipped the end of chapter 1 and started chapter 2? That way, you didn't see most of the special features, but still, it's better than nothing. If you understand what are others talking about, go on, maybe I'll persuade Raijer to rate things related to gameplay through many chapters you might have missed. I would be grateful for anything.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Dugi wrote:You skipped the end of chapter 1 and started chapter 2? That way, you didn't see most of the special features, but still, it's better than nothing. If you understand what are others talking about, go on, maybe I'll persuade Raijer to rate things related to gameplay through many chapters you might have missed. I would be grateful for anything.
Well, my order of playing is a bit weird, but I think I've played most of it now.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

You mean most scenarios or almost all of chapters 1 and 2?