Units you dread fighting against

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crow_T

Units you dread fighting against

Post by Crow_T »

A conversation with a friend a bit back brought this up- we both said at the same time "Goblin Pillagers!" Oh man they are a pain, slow, flame, and blade attacks, plus they are fast. I hate to see these guys on the field. Less common are the Giant Spiders, anything you do against them will ruin your day :mrgreen: < see, poisoned just from mentioning them
Dugi

Re: Units you dread fighting against

Post by Dugi »

My least favourite enemies are saurians. They just keep killing the weak units, absolutely no way to protect them, and the only strategy that works is to bring a lot of cannon fodder. Without cannon fodder, they'll start slaying high-level archers and mages and that's even worse. I really enjoy them when I have skeletons, though, that is a revenge.
Marche

Post by Marche »

Ugh, that one mission in DiD with the pillagers gave me a lot of reason to hate them. So much worse without DAs around to actually hurt them! Otherwise if I'm playing Undead, the wose. It crushes everything, such a pain to get rid of.

In general, most of the northerners are really rotten to see. Cheap, bulky units that just so happen to recover every turn? Or maybe you'd prefer to be poisoned and then surrounded by useless goblins? From other factions it's not quite so bad, but still. Great, a dwarven guardsman has advanced over the mountains; prepare to never ever finish it off. As Knalgans, ghosts are disgusting to face, due to a lack of magic and fire.

You'd think fencers would be this, with skirmish and high terrain defense, but they're really not. When are they even useful?
Shut up! I'm not tough; I'm not strong!

You shouldn't hold back so much. Always thinking with your head--denying what you want!
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Marche wrote:In general, most of the northerners are really rotten to see. Cheap, bulky units that just so happen to recover every turn? Or maybe you'd prefer to be poisoned and then surrounded by useless goblins? From other factions it's not quite so bad, but still. Great, a dwarven guardsman has advanced over the mountains; prepare to never ever finish it off. As Knalgans, ghosts are disgusting to face, due to a lack of magic and fire.
Well, from my MP experience - whenever I play Isar's Cross (I usually play Elves) and I'm up against Drakes, I get completely crushed - but when I'm up against Northeners, it's usually a win unless my ally is a complete noob. What I dislike most about Drakes is that they're fast and they have both lawful (drakes) and chaotic units (saurians).

Northeners, on the other hand, are quite easy to play against. I usually use an Elvish Druid as leader, so I have a healer from turn 1 - carefully place that behind your front lines and poison is not such a big threat anymore. Even easier when your ally is playing Loyalists.

Then place Shamans on wood tiles (70% defense), slow big units, then kill with archers. It's even easier when you play against someone who mostly recruits melee-only units like Orcish Grunts or Trolls. When facing Trolls, slow them prior to attacking (unless you can kill them of course), then you don't have to worry so much about them recovering 8 hp anymore.

Oh, and don't let trolls get on mountains ...
Marche

Post by Marche »

roidanton wrote:
Marche wrote:In general, most of the northerners are really rotten to see. Cheap, bulky units that just so happen to recover every turn? Or maybe you'd prefer to be poisoned and then surrounded by useless goblins? From other factions it's not quite so bad, but still. Great, a dwarven guardsman has advanced over the mountains; prepare to never ever finish it off. As Knalgans, ghosts are disgusting to face, due to a lack of magic and fire.
Well, from my MP experience - whenever I play Isar's Cross (I usually play Elves) and I'm up against Drakes, I get completely crushed - but when I'm up against Northeners, it's usually a win unless my ally is a complete noob. What I dislike most about Drakes is that they're fast and they have both lawful (drakes) and chaotic units (saurians).

Northeners, on the other hand, are quite easy to play against. I usually use an Elvish Druid as leader, so I have a healer from turn 1 - carefully place that behind your front lines and poison is not such a big threat anymore. Even easier when your ally is playing Loyalists.

Then place Shamans on wood tiles (70% defense), slow big units, then kill with archers. It's even easier when you play against someone who mostly recruits melee-only units like Orcish Grunts or Trolls. When facing Trolls, slow them prior to attacking (unless you can kill them of course), then you don't have to worry so much about them recovering 8 hp anymore.

Oh, and don't let trolls get on mountains ...
Slowing trolls has always been a good idea, and doubled as an excellent way to fodder my poor shamans by putting them right beside a troll. I like this in theory, but a competent Northerner player would still do well a lot of the time. Whether it's circling around and killing the shamans with assassins and wolves or playing carefully with day and night, I think on even ground Northerners would win out due to cheaper units of similar strength. Isar's has a nice spread of water and forest with the mountain more centralized (harder to get to), which makes it a little easier for elves I think. But I may be wrong, I tend to avoid playing as Rebels; I feel too vulnerable with a weak healer-mage that I have to spoonfeed kills to and babysit the whole time.
Shut up! I'm not tough; I'm not strong!

You shouldn't hold back so much. Always thinking with your head--denying what you want!
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

I'd have to say the worst individual enemies to fight against would be dwarf lords and any of the guardsman line. 2 very tough tanks with high resistances and lots of HP (with the right traits I think dwarf lords can have 90HP).
alluton

Post by alluton »

Saurians are always scary as they can practicly target anyone in your army. It makes using those campaing must survive units at frontlines a total pain.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Saurians are a nuisance, but in the same vein, I loathe bats even more. If you have a L1 mage with a ton of XP and low HP a bat will find her no matter what. Plus it takes 3-4 guys just to take them out. Man I hate bats, they come from nowhere, you can have the perfect round and they come in and bugger it all up. #$%@ bats!
The_Afterman

Post by The_Afterman »

Hmmm.... :hmm:

Ulfserker & Thunderer spam. :annoyed:

Can be countered and such but I never want to face an ulfserker 1v1, they're scary. And Thunderers just running up out of the fog and blasting you. :x
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Drakes can inflict an awful lot of damage, I don't like facing clashers and burners in particular.
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

You'd think fencers would be this, with skirmish and high terrain defense, but they're really not. When are they even useful?
I'm not sure about MP, but in SP (particularly in SoBE), fencers can be quite pesky. You may think you have everything covered with zoc, but a fencer swoops in and takes out your orc archer. And because they're dodgy, it's hard to get rid of them. Come day time and watch out.
I'd have to say the worst individual enemies to fight against would be dwarf lords
Agreed. In SoBE, you have the opportunity to get rid of one (if you choose) in the 2nd scenario in the mountains to get gold bonus. Can't you tell I've been playing SoBE? But anyway, I'd hate to have to go up against these bad boys on a regular basis. But you gotta love them when they're on your side, particularly when you just get that one random Dwarvish Lord unit to join your ranks as in TRoW (joins as fighter, so you have to level him up).
Drakes can inflict an awful lot of damage, I don't like facing clashers and burners in particular.
I'm strictly speaking SP here, but I don't necessarily dread drakes in SP. A few spearmen, especially with leadership support, and you can take down an entire armada of drakes. I think Drakes are basically MP units anyway, or SP punching bags.

I'd have to say another tough unit to oppose is the Bone Shooter or Banebow line. They have high resistances to blade and pierce so their only real weakness is impact, arcane, or fire. Most arcane or fire damage types are dealt by mages and are ranged, so you better brace yourself for some awful retaliation damage.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
Aelaris

Post by Aelaris »

SPeaking as a pure MP player, I dread seeing basic unit spam.

In particular, I hate seeing masses of Spearmen, or masses of Orc Grunts. Mostly Spearmen. All those cool specialty units, there's an obvious way to counter them. But what do you do against a force of spearmen? And be cost effective, of course.
"Let's all agree that Konrad simply represents 'Konrad and his female ninja bodyguards'." - Gambit, explaining how a character could also be a battalion.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Gryphon Riders.

Bats are bad enough, assassinating injured troops and requiring half an army to deal with, but when that kind of unit gets proper HP and some serious attack power, they become looming spectres of death.

The potential to be hit that hard, at any time, at any point along the line...Really makes it hard to calculate a battle.
alluton

Post by alluton »

Those assasin units from IftU. Man they appear out of nowhere and go gang that low hp hero...
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

Saurian missions are always the worst missions
Founding Father of Columbia