The Settlers of Light (1.9.12+)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AfterDawn

Re: The Settlers of Light (1.9.12+)

Post by AfterDawn »

As far as the campaign goes I've decided (mostly) on how the first three scenarios should go.
  • Scn1: Exodus
    Spoiler:
  • Scn2: Into the Wilderness
    Spoiler:
  • Scn3: The Shore They Dreamt of
    Spoiler:
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi-- I'm playing TSoL 0.9.0 on BfW 1.10.0 and win2k sp4.
I've enjoyed playing the first several scenarios.
I just started scenario Tunnel_Vision, and find that Cryssa was not recalled.
She was not present in the dialogue scenario, Return_To_New_Elensefar, either.

A recent post suggested that TSoL 0.9.0 fixes this problem, but I suspect it doesn't.

The old, original batch of recall units (from scenario #2) are present in
Return_To_New_Elensefar, but Cryssa (who advanced to lev-2 in scenario #2) is not.

I'll poke around in the WML a bit.
--sneezy

EDIT (morning of Feb 19):
After looking more carefully, at the start of Returning_To_New_Elensefar, only one unit from scenario #2 is on the map in my game; the rest of the units on the map are holdovers from the Outpost & Stronghold scenarios. That was a clue.

I checked the WML in the save file for the start of Returning_To_New_Elensefar, and found that Cryssa & 7 other units were in it, stored in an array variable named "recall_store."

As written, the WML in Returning_To_New_Elensefar.cfg tries to unstore all the units in the array with a single call to [unstore_unit].

Checking the WML manual:
[unstore_unit] Creates a unit from a game variable, and activates it on the playing field. This must be a specific variable describing a unit, and may not be an array -- to unstore an entire array, iterate over it. The variable is not cleared. See also [store_unit], [while] and [clear_variable].
So... to get everything back out of an array variable, one has to iterate and unstore each unit individually. I changed Returning_To_New_Elensefar.cfg as follows: commented out the old invocation of [unstore_unit] and replaced it with a loop that iterated over the whole array variable.

Code: Select all

####   new changes  ####        
        {FOREACH recall_store i}
            [unstore_unit]
                variable=recall_store[$i]
            [/unstore_unit]
        {NEXT i}
	  {CLEAR_VARIABLE recall_store}
###
###		[unstore_unit]
###			variable=recall_store
###		[/unstore_unit]

[recall]
			id=Cryssa
			x,y=28,24
		[/recall]
Tested this change, and it seems to work properly. Cryssa now appears in Returning_To_New_Elensefar & Tunnel_Vision. Even better, at the start of Tunnel_Vision, several old units from scenario #2 (e.g., the scout) are among the starting units. So this seems to recover all of the units that were stashed in "recall_store," and places them back in the recall list.
Regards,
--sneezy

EDIT #2 (afternoon of Feb 19):
I played through and finished the rest of the campaign. Unfortunately, Naught.cfg also needs some changes. It needs to have a FOREACH loop around the unstore of units that are in array variable "spaceinvader" Otherwise, Anthemyr doesn't have anyone in his recall list.

Naught.cfg also unstores Marco, and then almost immediately stores him and kills him off again. This is bad, because he has a lot of dialogue at the scenario startup, so I think killing him off wasn't intended. I commented out the store-and-kill stuff.

Naught.cfg also has Anthemyr's team color as green, and Cryssa, who has an allied faction, is green also(!). Very confusing. Couldn't tell who owned which village. I changed Cryssa to be yellow.

Those changes allowed me to complete the scenario, and then the Epilogue.
I'll provide some overall impressions in a later message. It needs some thought.
Regards,
--sneezy
vicente

Post by vicente »

I am glad to hear that AfterDawn is taking care of this abandoned campaign. The original stroy is quite confusing, so a new story line should be a good idea. :)
AfterDawn

Post by AfterDawn »

Thank you so much sneezy for all your help! (you saved me, hurray for helpful community!)
I actually came up with a dirtier solution but for the life of me I couldn't get it to work until I saw your implementation just now (I kept sticking $ symbol in front of the variable name recall_store :doh: ). Just for fun I wanted to see if my solution worked after taking out the $ sign and thankfully it did (saved my pride as a modder).

Here's my solution just for comparison's sake but I'm definitely going to use the foreach macro in the future.

Code: Select all

[set_variable]
			name=idx
			value=0
		[/set_variable]

[while]
			[variable]
				name=idx
				less_than=$recall_store.length
			[/variable]

[do]
				[unstore_unit]
					variable=recall_store[$idx]
				[/unstore_unit]

[set_variable]
					name=idx
					add=1
				[/set_variable]
			[/do]
		[/while]

[recall]
			id=Cryssa
			x,y=28,24
		[/recall]
:eng:
As far as other changes go (i'm aware the same issue occurs later on) I'm too lazy to handle them as I intend to make entirely new ones but this problem I really wanted to fix for the sake of expanding my WML knowledge. Once again, thank you for showing me a new tool I can use. Also any thoughts or comments you may have about the current storyline or my revised story please, by all means, let me know on the story thread (any and all help in that area of development is more than welcome).

I'm going to now update the campaign with the changes so that everyone can now finish the story with Cryssa still in it. Enjoy!
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I wonder about the Aragwaithi as a faction:
"A strong, agile race of Humans from the southern deserts. They have extremely high damage and good abilities, but are very fragile."

Yet it seems like they have usually only a 30-40% hit rate, which does not signify good abilities. Would it be better to up the hit rate and decrease HP on these guys? I imagine them being very skilled yet weak of body- at the same time a bit dodgy due to them being skinny people in large cloaks, which can throw off the enemy.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Crow_T wrote: Yet it seems like they have usually only a 30-40% hit rate, which does not signify good abilities.
Chance to hit is determined by the other unit's terrain defense, and I doubt it's a good idea to increase chance to hit for all units.
Crow_T wrote:Would it be better to up the hit rate and decrease HP on these guys? I imagine them being very skilled yet weak of body- at the same time a bit dodgy due to them being skinny people in large cloaks, which can throw off the enemy.
They already have better defense on many terrains than for example the loyalists, and also have less HP. I don't think it is necessary to reduce HP even more.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
AfterDawn

Post by AfterDawn »

I wonder about the Aragwaithi as a faction:
I suppose I don't really have much to say about them. All of my information I have about the Aragwaithi I've essentially borrowed and derived from the race description and IftU (invasion from unknown). bumbadadabum is obviously the authority on this matter so I'll defer to him.
"A strong, agile race of Humans from the southern deserts. They have extremely high damage and good abilities, but are very fragile."
I actually don't know where this quote is from but you can certainly show me where it is if you'd like. The description I'm currently in possession of was bequeathed to me via this campaign and I believe it says they are from the vast sea and then inhabited wesnoth sometime before the fall. I'm pretty sure IftU says the same thing but I haven't checked and I have no clue what After the Storm says (I'm trying to mostly ignore AtS anyway so... oh well).
AfterDawn

The Settlers of Light (0.9.1) Huzzah!

Post by AfterDawn »

Guess what! the moment you've all been waiting for has finally arrived. I have finished the... just one scenario... sorry. But I decided to upload it anyway b/c it took me about 22 days of on and off work to complete and I'm quite proud. The first scenario itself is still not fully tweaked yet (some missing bits of dialogue, story sec., and there is no real variation between difficulties so feel free to play on hard!). I'm sure other issues abound and that's what this thread is all about so play it, let me know what you think, and feel free to drop your unadulterated criticism here. If you have any story related critiques please head on over to the story dev thread ----> Over here everybody.
I don't know if its customary to post more than a scenario at a time but I'll do my best in the future to upload this campaign in chunks rather than pieces .
Okay, here's a helpful list of possible questions you may have.

POSSIBLE QUESTIONS
1- Why are the refugee peasants race human and not aragwaith?
2- Why is the prophet Odasys a Ceresian?
3- What's a Ceresian?
4- Why are the noble authority soldiers mainline human units
5- Why does this campaign exist?

POSSIBLE ANSWERS
1- There is an Aragwaithi version of the peasant that is graphically identical but the movement is aragwaith which means they move easily over rough terrain. Why is that a problem you ask? Because I want the peasants to be a slow and cumbersome challenge for the player to defend.
2- Because I like the way the monk looks. I'll probably steal the sprite and perhaps even edit it but for now he's a Ceresian monk person.
3- I don't know...
4- Because I really want to make a set of feudal lord house guard units. I want them to look aragwaithi like but be more disciplined and less agile on the rougher terrains. Right now I'm just using loyalist units as a place holder.
5- Because I'm awesome.

Anyone who has been totally rendered speechless by how awesome my first scenario is may choose from any of the selection below in the list of possible comments provided by me.

POSSIBLE COMMENTS
1- "THAT WAS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!! :shock: "

Note: do not let too many of your peasants level up or else you'll lose... yeah I'm going change that. There's two ways I could go about doing that. Either I tweak the way I check how many peasants are left or I make a variant of the peasant that doesn't level up. Also, anyone who wants to contribute art that suits my needs and or knows of arts that looks like it would fit in tSoL please let me know (I will love you for ever). I'm also planning on having hero variant units for a number of characters so anyone who wants to work on that for me I would certainly not object.

Another Note: The difficulty on this scenario I think might be kind of high. I apologize but do to the nature of its set up it came out on the difficult side. This isn't necessarily a problem since I want my campaign, overall, to be hard but I don't know if its conventional and indeed prudent to make the first scenario especially so. With that said, please let me know what parts were hard (or even perhaps too easy) and why. Also the A.I. might need to be tweaked in order to improve gameplay, please, anyone who knows of this stuff let me know how and what I should do. I probably won't do any balancing until much later but I would really like to have a list of possible needed changes.

Thank you.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

POSSIBLE COMMENTS
1- "THAT WAS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!! :shock: "
yeah that just describes how i feel :)
it was rly pretty hard but also not to hard
maybe you should let undead spawn really all time and not only a limited number?
also would be better if you would warn the player before the wolves and rats appear (scouted with my "scout" and then a army of rats and wolves chase me oO)
the scouts of the chaos legion retreat a bit early, how about let the leader retreat when you kill him? if they flee so early you have to let them attack once and beat them all in he next turn
why can you recruit outlaws? (dont want to complain, but why you dont have any from beginning then?)
change maybe loseconditions or turn limit: right now you lose when turns are over...but you dont have turn limit! so there is no sense in it

minor annoynance: always when i attack one of the "noble" troops, it shows me the unit ID of my attacking unit
is there any reason for it? or is it a bug?
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

I don't get it, in the first scenario "exodus", I try to put some peasants on 50,41 but nothing happen. I try with the leader and Odasys, but nothing happen. Sorry if the is an old question, and if is not a bug, but it seeme strange to me and there is something I maybe forget.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I have finished the... just one scenario... sorry.
*rolling eyes* :D

read text :D
Hinth

Post by Hinth »

ydcl wrote:I don't get it, in the first scenario "exodus", I try to put some peasants on 50,41 but nothing happen. I try with the leader and Odasys, but nothing happen. Sorry if the is an old question, and if is not a bug, but it seeme strange to me and there is something I maybe forget.
I'm stuck on the same thing, I can't seem to figure out how to beat the first scenario.

Any help would be appreciated!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Konrad2 wrote:

Last edited by Konrad2 on August 31st, 2013, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Hello!

I just wanted to start with that I like the story so far, I'm still on the first Scenario but I've encountered a problem.

I get all 4 peasants to the coordinates, and nothing happens. Only more and more demons spawn. I've wesnoth 1.10.6.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Konrad2 wrote:

...i wish people were reading posts.....