Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.33

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mnewton1

Re: Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.10

Post by mnewton1 »

kBunz wrote:on a semi-related note i'd like to ask something to wesnoth code gurus: would it be possible to create an era like ageless but instaed of duplicating every unit working through dependencies? i mean, it would be like an era collecting eras A, B and C but requiring to download those eras too. the idea is that when either of those eras are updated the change would reflect on A+B+C.

and would (if possible) risk OOS errors if players don't all have the latest versions on A, B and C?

if it's at all viable it could be relatively quick to build an agelss II by including whatever amount of cool eras floating around the add-on server. I often check out the updated versions of some of the eras inside ageless and there are really amazing things that's just a pity to see unused by most of the community which instaed keeps playing with very outdated stuff.
Pretty sure this actually exists. iirc Indeterminated Era by fog_of_gold does this.
UnwiseOwl wrote:...someone with a deathwish will come along and try to resurrect it...
Haha, that sums up the person who would want to continue this themselves.

For the era to be updated, it would basically have to be entirely remade. There have been some many updates from all of the eras that it would be much easier just to recompile all the eras than to try and find every little difference.

In the summer I might come back and get a new version out with the updated eras, but for now I am to busy.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

A suggestion: break the addon up into a "core" piece that has all the code and a "everything else" piece that has all the sounds/images/etc. That way it'll be much easier to get bugfixes out, since the whole addon is around 30 MBs but just the .cfg files are under 6 MBs.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I'm planning on continuing maintenance of my test era, which I'll take down and put back up as the indeterminate era for 1.11 since there's apparently demand and it doesn't seem that strenuous. I'd call it ageless, but if the ageless might ever come back that would be confusing.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

I found bugs in movement type (for Welkins):

1. They got twice set defense and movement cost for frozen (sometimes its diffrent number written).

2. Pls dont set minus numbers for movement cost or unit terrain defense cause this can makes some problems in future (even if game can understand it as plus number).
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Please, please, please, fix the damned Steel Blader!!!
It's really broken and overpowered, especially in Creep Wars.
Nerf it please (something like increasing the XP required for the 2nd level, reducing the evasion %, reducing the melee damage, remove fury/drain).
Favourite Eras: Ageless Era; Eastern Europe at War.
Favourite MP Map: Creep War.
kBunz

Post by kBunz »

you really shouldn't expect much balance from ageless era.
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

There is a border between unbalanced and overpowered.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

At least for now, MattDakka, no one wants to maintain Ageless Era.
mnewton1 wrote:
UnwiseOwl wrote:...someone with a deathwish will come along and try to resurrect it...
Haha, that sums up the person who would want to continue this themselves.

For the era to be updated, it would basically have to be entirely remade. There have been some many updates from all of the eras that it would be much easier just to recompile all the eras than to try and find every little difference.

In the summer I might come back and get a new version out with the updated eras, but for now I am to busy.
Surely it would be better to scrap Ageless and use indeterminated era or Ageless II. I have found that indeterminated, in particular, is very easy to modify. You can add any faction you want to it, even if you know nothing about programming.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Wouldn't that cause OOS errors pretty frequently when people didn't have the right factions/eras installed?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Yes, it would, but given the new add-on server which tells you when there's a new version, keeping the relevant add-one up to date isn't such a labour for regular users. There should be a way to check versions, too, but I don't know it.
2. Pls dont set minus numbers for movement cost or unit terrain defense cause this can makes some problems in future (even if game can understand it as plus number
There are legit reasons to use negative numbers, at least in the case of terrain defense. What future issues did you have in mind?
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Temuchin Khan wrote:At least for now, MattDakka, no one wants to maintain Ageless Era.
Well, nerfing one unit doesn't take ages.
I simply asked an one unit nerf, not a full rework of Ageless Era. :)
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Ageless is a big era, though. How many people really want to redownload the whole thing for one perceived balance issue? If it bothers you, change it locally and get those you play with to do so too, but generally era updates are done en-masse to make it worth the maintainers time. In this case, the maintainer has made it clear that the next update is a ways away, if it ever comes, so please post your issue and wait patiently for an update.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

30,9 mb its not that much... also its not updated each day so i am sure they will make it somehow.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

UnwiseOwl wrote:Yes, it would, but given the new add-on server which tells you when there's a new version, keeping the relevant add-one up to date isn't such a labour for regular users. There should be a way to check versions, too, but I don't know it.
2. Pls dont set minus numbers for movement cost or unit terrain defense cause this can makes some problems in future (even if game can understand it as plus number
There are legit reasons to use negative numbers, at least in the case of terrain defense. What future issues did you have in mind?

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... st#p550418 25 side from 26, its a reason why horsemans got changed terrain defense to 80% in modified world conquest after picking one of training. This training is giving +20% defense more in forest if i am not wrong, but for horsemans with -70 forest defense is changed to 20 cause they have less than 20 :P, for units with more than 20 its decrease (in game code) for 20 (in game its added 20% more).
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Consider the case of the Lavinians, or just general Cavalry, though, that have lower defense in forests than in whatever terrain the forest is placed on. They need the - in order to preserve this behavior.