Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.33

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pocketmonster

Re: Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.10

Post by pocketmonster »

Maybe I'm just getting old and slow, but how do I install this mod? The directions are vague and lead to a maze of SVN clients and aggghhh I just want all these factions in my Wesnoth!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

You can just download from the add-on server ingame or via the website you know.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
IPS

Post by IPS »

mnewton1 wrote:I am currently not doing anything Wesnoth related which means I am not maintaining AE, but when I glanced at the posts I noticed this:

vultraz wrote:I've always though the AE was in need of a massive code overhaul, seeing as it always, ALWAYS seems to have bugs related to incorrect filenames and such. Not sure I'd want to take it over, though. :hmm:
I agree. When I originally made AE I had exactly zero coding experience. Now I have a good amount more and if I ever do get back into maintaining it I will go through it and change most everything.
Then you can give the pbl_ file to a group of people that is interested to maintain ageless era. in order that the add on gets updated in some day. Would recommend people that is online in forums and in game that knows well about ballance and/or coding.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Is the Mounted Warrior (2 lvl of Horseman (faction AE Arendias)) shouldnt have impact melee weapon ? At first lvl he have 2 ways for advancemant in which one of them still have blade for melee blade and other one should have impact (cause at 2 lvl and third that unit have as weapon morning star but its having weapon type changed at 3 lvl).
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Also from that faction other one 2 lvl Warrior got blade melee attack (with name sword) but at 3 lvl he have impact with same attack name... Its just wierd a bit...
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

I found a bug: the Welkin Midnight Stalker sprite is not displayed.
Favourite Eras: Ageless Era; Eastern Europe at War.
Favourite MP Map: Creep War.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

ChaosRider wrote:Is the Mounted Warrior (2 lvl of Horseman (faction AE Arendias)) shouldnt have impact melee weapon ? At first lvl he have 2 ways for advancemant in which one of them still have blade for melee blade and other one should have impact (cause at 2 lvl and third that unit have as weapon morning star but its having weapon type changed at 3 lvl).
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Also from that faction other one 2 lvl Warrior got blade melee attack (with name sword) but at 3 lvl he have impact with same attack name... Its just wierd a bit...
Known issue with the Arendian lines violating RIPLIB that will be rectified with the next release of the IE, if it ever happens and I remember to fix that one. Presumably the changes will be carried over to this era sometime after that.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
kBunz

Post by kBunz »

unlikely, this era hasn't been updated in a very long time. almost all the factions in it have been updated further or dropped by then.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I dunno, I hold out hope that someday someone with a deathwish will come along and try to resurrect it.
Heck, I might decide to do it myself. The way that people actually post in this thread makes me jealous sometimes.
It's already on wesnoth-umc-dev, so to only impediment to that actually happening is people putting up their hand and mnewton allowing it to happen. It's a big job, though, a team effort would probably be the way to go.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
kBunz

Post by kBunz »

on a semi-related note i'd like to ask something to wesnoth code gurus: would it be possible to create an era like ageless but instaed of duplicating every unit working through dependencies? i mean, it would be like an era collecting eras A, B and C but requiring to download those eras too. the idea is that when either of those eras are updated the change would reflect on A+B+C.

and would (if possible) risk OOS errors if players don't all have the latest versions on A, B and C?

if it's at all viable it could be relatively quick to build an agelss II by including whatever amount of cool eras floating around the add-on server. I often check out the updated versions of some of the eras inside ageless and there are really amazing things that's just a pity to see unused by most of the community which instaed keeps playing with very outdated stuff.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I'm no guru, but I think in theory that should be fine, I see no issue with the code.You'd get OOS if everyone isn't up to date, but checking for updates is so much easier these days too.
The AE once had its own balance, which you'd lose with such an approach, but I'm pretty sure such a idea would be trivial. Get a couple of factions to suggest and I'll knock a quick one out as a proof on concept.
kBunz

Post by kBunz »

when was ageless era ever balanced anyway? it's mostly used for non-competitive survival maps anyway so it's a non-issue, it's up to players deciding how much of a challenge or easy mode they want to play.

an example? well i'm a huge fan of era of magic and imperial era just to mention 2.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Maybe not balanced, exactly, but mnewton did make a lot of changes with that in mind.
There you go, proof of concept published to the 1.11 server as Ageless_II_Era, all 7KB of it.
No guarantees that everything works like it should, but at first glance it works for me. At the moment it appears that only the mainline_Strings.cfg file needs to be seperate (presumably because there's multiples of them floating around), but it looks like as long as the eras have independent unit and macro names then we're all hunky-dory.
You get the Aragwaithi too, since I had them lying around here.
Last edited by UnwiseOwl on April 13th, 2013, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kBunz

Post by kBunz »

well if it really is such a quick process it should be enough compiling a list of good eras to use and pack them toghether. wouldn't be balanced but who cares, ageless is just for the lolz.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Indeed.
There may be a little error-checking to do but as an idea it will work.
Provided the eras used have unique unit, movetype and macro names etc, but most of us are pretty good at that and that should be corrected if it happens anyway...
Anyway, it's bedtime here. G'night.
Last edited by UnwiseOwl on April 13th, 2013, 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kBunz

Post by kBunz »

not to mention this makes it more likely single units bugs will be fixed by their original creators over time. anyway, g'night to you.