Best and Worst MAINLINE campaigns and scenarios

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PorkSol

Re: Best and Worst MAINLINE campaigns and scenarios

Post by PorkSol »

I can't judge all the campaigns yet and my memories are too fuzzy to pick a best scenario.

But the the Underlevels from THoT is the worst scenario, even worse than obviously unfinished scenarios.

The reasons for this are amply documented in this thread. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=20277

But basically it is just a 150 turn untactical cave crawl where your tactics consist of cycling units over and over again. It's the kind of thing that makes you take a break from Wesnoth.
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Worst campaign= Northern Rebirth.
Best campaign= Son of Black Eye or The Rise of Wesnoth.

But who's to say? To each their own. So instead of best/worst scenario, I'll just list the ones I found the most challenging/memorable. And the fact I remember these particular few is a testament to their creators:
1. Evacuation (EI)
2. Saving Inarix (SofBE)
3. Clearwater Port (TRofW)
4. Alone at Last (DiD)
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
Dan-the-Terrible

Post by Dan-the-Terrible »

PorkSol wrote:I can't judge all the campaigns yet and my memories are too fuzzy to pick a best scenario.

But the the Underlevels from THoT is the worst scenario, even worse than obviously unfinished scenarios.

The reasons for this are amply documented in this thread. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=20277

But basically it is just a 150 turn untactical cave crawl where your tactics consist of cycling units over and over again. It's the kind of thing that makes you take a break from Wesnoth.
I just finished playing The Hammer of Thursagan and was thinking it was my favorite of the campaigns I've played. It highlights the dwarf units well, and except for the final underlevels scenario, most of the scenarios have a fairly small number of units, which I prefer. I find scenarios with scores of units tedious. The underlevels scenario itself I rather liked, despite having to manage quite a large army. It has a rather different feel to it, a lot of exploration and tension from not knowing what to expect next.

My next favorite campaign is probably Descent into Darkness. The theme is well done and playing the undead is cool. My biggest complaint is DiD gives you little reason to recruit skeletons, with more emphasis on other units, particularly the ghost line. An undead army without skeletons feels odd. I wish someone would create another undead oriented campaign that encourages skeleton recruitment.

I have started Heir to the Throne a couple of times without getting more than halfway through. It just seems boring. I also started Northern Rebirth, featuring my favorite dwarves, but quickly got fed up with the huge numbers of units in the scenarios.

I started the add-on Swampling campaign, and it has its moments. There is lots of rather witty dialog, and leading the humble goblins has a quite different feel than most campaigns. However, again I am getting tired of the large numbers of units. You have to recruit dozens of weak units every scenario to overcome much stronger opponents. Several of the scenarios are in thick marshy terrain that seems to take forever to move across. I've set Swamplngs aside for now but will probably return to it eventually.

I've completed The South Guard and A Tale of Two Brothers and Delfador's Memoirs. They are all playable but not memorably exceptional.
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

I started the add-on Swampling campaign, and it has its moments. There is lots of rather witty dialog, and leading the humble goblins has a quite different feel than most campaigns. However, again I am getting tired of the large numbers of units. You have to recruit dozens of weak units every scenario to overcome much stronger opponents. Several of the scenarios are in thick marshy terrain that seems to take forever to move across. I've set Swamplngs aside for now but will probably return to it eventually.

I've completed The South Guard and A Tale of Two Brothers and Delfador's Memoirs. They are all playable but not memorably exceptional.
It seems like you're going through these campaigns pretty fast, which is fine. It seems like you're trying to find a good campaign. Sorry for the unsolicited recommendation, but you might like this one- Galuldur's First Journey: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 95#p460920

I had a great time playing this campaign. If you feel like trying something new, check it out. You might like it as much as I did. :wink:
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic