The Text Contains Invalid Markup

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Woodruff

The Text Contains Invalid Markup

Post by Woodruff »

My Operating System: Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
Version of Wesnoth: 1.10.5 now (just updated from 1.10.3 when I started noticing this problem)
Language Used: English

Problem: Many of the campaigns, and including the Tutorial, give me the error message
"The text contains invalid markup" for the Scenario Objectives when I first start the
campaign (after I select the level of difficulty). I also notice that in those campaigns
which have this problem (including the Tutorial), all of the "character text boxes" are either
blank or have a similar error message.

At first, I simply thought this was an isolated problem with an occasional campaign, but
I have come across it more and more. And the real key for me was when I tried the
Tutorial, just to see what was up.

I updated to 1.10.5 just now, hoping that had some sort of a fix for it, but the
problem remains.

I've been playing Wesnoth since before 1.10, so it's not a newbie thing. And I have
successfully run many of these campaigns, including the Tutorial, previously. So I
suspect it may be a setting I have going on, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Can anyone help?
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: The Text Contains Invalid Markup

Post by Iris »

Do you have any add-ons installed? Have you tried removing them?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

shadowmaster wrote:Do you have any add-ons installed? Have you tried removing them?
I have boatloads of add-ons if you're talking about campaign-stuff. I probably have 100+ campaigns loaded up. Do I really need to remove them all?

I was hoping this would be something that would be commonly known and someone would be able to just say "oh, change such-and-such setting"...
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Woodruff wrote:Do I really need to remove them all?
You could find your userdata directory, then rename the add-ons directory to (e.g.) add-ons-backup, then create a new empty add-ons directory, then reload Wesnoth (F5 on the titlescreen), and see if this fixes your problem.

If it does, move the add-ons to the new add-ons directory a few at a time, reloading after moving each bunch of add-ons.

If one bunch reintroduces the problem, move it back to add-ons-backup, then move the add-ons in question to the new add-ons directory one at a time, reloading after each move, to find the problem add-on.

Once you have found the problematic add-on, delete it and move the remaining add-ons from add-ons-backup to the new add-ons directory.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

8680 wrote:Once you have found the problematic add-on, delete it and move the remaining add-ons from add-ons-backup to the new add-ons directory.
We may also want to know what the problematic add-on is (if any), so that someone can go and complain to the add-on’s maintainer about it.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

8680 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Do I really need to remove them all?
You could find your userdata directory, then rename the add-ons directory to (e.g.) add-ons-backup, then create a new empty add-ons directory, then reload Wesnoth (F5 on the titlescreen), and see if this fixes your problem.

If it does, move the add-ons to the new add-ons directory a few at a time, reloading after moving each bunch of add-ons.

If one bunch reintroduces the problem, move it back to add-ons-backup, then move the add-ons in question to the new add-ons directory one at a time, reloading after each move, to find the problem add-on.

Once you have found the problematic add-on, delete it and move the remaining add-ons from add-ons-backup to the new add-ons directory.
Ah, now you're talking...that I could definitely do (though it may take a while).

Do you really think it's an add-on problem though? Why would a fully separate campaign cause a problem with the Tutorial? That seems very strange to me.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Woodruff wrote:
8680 wrote:You could find your userdata directory, then rename the add-ons directory to (e.g.) add-ons-backup, then create a new empty add-ons directory, then reload Wesnoth (F5 on the titlescreen), and see if this fixes your problem.

Ah, now you're talking...that I could definitely do (though it may take a while).

Do you really think it's an add-on problem though? Why would a fully separate campaign cause a problem with the Tutorial? That seems very strange to me.
Ok, I renamed my add-ons directory to "add-ons backup" and created a new (now empty) folder named "add-ons". Then I started the game up, opened up the Tutorial and it was different, but still not good.

What is happening now is...the text-boxes for the two characters (when I can choose the boy or girl) are still empty. But the "scenario objectives" now say "Victory" (with a green dot below it)
"Defeat" (with a red dot below it)

So that didn't really correct the problem, but it did change things a bit. I'm going to leave things as they are now for a moment, for trouble-shooting purposes. Anyone have another thought?
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Alright, I believe I've figured out the problem. I re-installed everything in a brand new parent folder. Then, one by one, I moved my add-ons over to the new add-on subfolder.

Lo and behold, when I hit the 264th add-on directory, regardless of what that add-on was, it screwed everything up. As a computer programmer myself, I know that 264 is a bit of a magic number bit-wise. So perhaps there is a limitation there with the Wesnoth program itself?
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Woodruff wrote:Alright, I believe I've figured out the problem. I re-installed everything in a brand new parent folder. Then, one by one, I moved my add-ons over to the new add-on subfolder.

Lo and behold, when I hit the 264th add-on directory, regardless of what that add-on was, it screwed everything up. As a computer programmer myself, I know that 264 is a bit of a magic number bit-wise. So perhaps there is a limitation there with the Wesnoth program itself?
Here I am...I wake up in the middle of the night (it's midnight here), and the only thing I'm thinking is "It's not 264, you moron, it's 256!". So yeah...anyway, 264 was the point when everything screwed up. I am reasonably certain that it's the number of add-on directories, but I suppose it could be a "composite size of the add-on directory itself.

So...it doesn't appear to have been anything to do with a specific add-on (I did it with several), but rather with some sort of space or number of directories limitation.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

And honestly, having more than 200 addons installed in parallel is slightly out of the "normal" specs. Basically the same applies here as it does with damage numbers several times higher than what is there in the game or extremely large maps resulting in large slowdowns: Can happen if you move significantly outside of all specs...
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

ivanovic wrote:And honestly, having more than 200 addons installed in parallel is slightly out of the "normal" specs. Basically the same applies here as it does with damage numbers several times higher than what is there in the game or extremely large maps resulting in large slowdowns: Can happen if you move significantly outside of all specs...
So is that a "we're not really interested in fixing that" statement?
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Woodruff wrote:
ivanovic wrote:And honestly, having more than 200 addons installed in parallel is slightly out of the "normal" specs. Basically the same applies here as it does with damage numbers several times higher than what is there in the game or extremely large maps resulting in large slowdowns: Can happen if you move significantly outside of all specs...
So is that a "we're not really interested in fixing that" statement?
This is a "this is unlikely to change anytime soon (unless someone (possibly new) steps up to handle it)" statement.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

I couldn't find the specs you're talking about here - where do I find them?
Max

Post by Max »

you can create a proper bug report: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/ReportingBugs

it would be helpful if you could find a way to reproduce this issue without having to download hundreds of add-ons^^
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Max wrote:you can create a proper bug report: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/ReportingBugs

it would be helpful if you could find a way to reproduce this issue without having to download hundreds of add-ons^^
I'm a bit confused your request, since the issue certainly seems to be that high number of add-ons itself. As I said,
it doesn't seem to be caused by a specific add-on at all, and it was only when I hit a certain number of add-ons (an
alternate possibility is that this coincidentally passed some "total size of add-ons" limit) that the problem presents
itself.

It is easily reproducable however, as I spent three installs (and all of the requisite add-on downloads) trying to get
it to work (one of 10.3 and two of 10.5).

Thanks for the link, though - I will go add it to the Gna database.