Do you save and reload? If so, why?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tr0ll

Re: Do you save and reload? If so, why?

Post by tr0ll »

i reload scenario after a blunder.

i also reload scenario if my most precious units or possibility of winning the scenario are badly impacted by tomato surprise or really unlucky RNG. however in these circumstances i wouldnt feel a need to do that if the scenario adjusts by making remaining units suitably mornful or otherwise significantly affected so that it becomes part of the story. in other words, some surprises or losses break the immersive experience that keeps me going in the campaign, by exuding the smell of "bad design".
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

It would be cool to see a Wesnoth pro do a Neki-style walkthrough of a campaign, discussing the reasoning behind moves, strategies, etc. I think that could open some eyes more than mere replays. (I save load, but would prefer not to- obviously I'm missing something).
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Well, if I lose a cannot-die unit or my leader, I'll go back a couple of turns, as opposed to starting the whole scenario over.
It would be cool to see a Wesnoth pro do a Neki-style walkthrough of a campaign, discussing the reasoning behind moves, strategies, etc. I think that could open some eyes more than mere replays. (I save load, but would prefer not to- obviously I'm missing something).
I agree, that would be nice. Seeing what goes through the mind of a pro during a MP game would be fun too.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Hey Scribe, check out "Neki brutal wesnoth" on youtube to see MP stuff.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I'll try to, though he kinda quit before 1.10. I know most of the tactics could carry over to the new version, but it'd be nice to have some more current videos. (Not that those aren't of use though. Thanks for pointing them out, I'll try to check them soon)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
watbesh

Post by watbesh »

I do save-loading almost every time when my leveled unit or loyal dies. I load games almost always by "Back to turn 1". Or to the very starting of a scenario (before the wesnoth map and the dialogues) when RNG does something before turn 1 (like the scenario Isle of the Damned in HttT; where Moremirmu is).

I used to save-load for one turn very often. Since I save-loaded many and many times, by the end of a campaign, the overall-damage-taken was like -15%, and inflicted was like +10%. I feel it unfair for a multiple-scenario campaign. Though I do that luck without save-loading in some multi-player games (and so do my opponents).
Now I do not do for one turn unless RNG really cheats or a scenario is too difficult/long.
Or try the reverse someday; load if damage inflicted-% is better than taken-% in a scenario.
My MP Eras and Mods with core units and unusual gameplay (version 1.3.1 for Wesnoth 1.12)
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I do save-loading almost every time when my leveled unit or loyal dies.
This is kind of my little dread in the game, the loyals units- they are great because they are loyal, but when I get a bunch of them I become neurotic about them dying. I think my new strategy is to sacrifice all non-story loyals asap. :lol2:
pratamaris

Post by pratamaris »

I save at a 'checkpont' that I made myself, whenever a decision to move or to attack plays a huge role to the rest of the scenario.
"If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of men." - Edward D. Morrison
Marche

Post by Marche »

Rarely I save before trying risky or unpredictable maneuvers, just to see how they turn out - like before sending a non-main unit to an item in DW, I reloaded and just sent the leader instead. I used to reload for bad rolls, but to a point it matters more about terrain and placement, so I would rather reload the turn/scenario and set up better.
Shut up! I'm not tough; I'm not strong!

You shouldn't hold back so much. Always thinking with your head--denying what you want!
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I save at a 'checkpont' that I made myself, whenever a decision to move or to attack plays a huge role to the rest of the scenario.
This is quite interesting, it makes me think that a nice option would be for the game to save not every turn, but something like every 5 or 10 turns for those of us with less restraint! I am starting to think, however, that my main issue is that I just suck at Wesnoth heh- maybe I'm just a button smasher after all...
Marche

Post by Marche »

Crow_T wrote:I am starting to think, however, that my main issue is that I just suck at Wesnoth heh- maybe I'm just a button smasher after all...
Skill at Wesnoth has nothing to do with the impotent rage after showering a unit with several mild attacks to weaken it enough for your Shaman to kill it, and then missing both attacks and getting killed in response. I'm thinking more and more that this is a game of patience and perseverance rather than tactics...
Shut up! I'm not tough; I'm not strong!

You shouldn't hold back so much. Always thinking with your head--denying what you want!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Marche wrote:I'm thinking more and more that this is a game of patience and perseverance rather than tactics...
Those three things are not mutually exclusive.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Radh

Post by Radh »

I'm trying to save and reload less than I used to...

But I'm still a beginner. There are things I overlook, and they cost me a unit. I will then save and reload until I get the kills I got on the last turn (without my own mistake). I'm not sure if that makes sense, so here's a scenario:

My Knight hit both times, so it killed the Orc. But then I overlooked 5 Orc's surrounding my lone archer, and my archer dies. I reload.

This second time, my Knight only hits once. Gah! NO!

So I save and reload until it hits both times again.

Hopefully, this will end soon. I know it'll hit me in the long run, especially since I want to eventually start playing multiplayer.
oea

Post by oea »

though i save/load for many of the reasons already stated here is one i find myself doing also; when i am weakening a unit so that i can kill it with a noob unit for xp and i get too lucky with my softeners! (sigh if it is not very bad luck, it can also be very good luck ya just cant lose for winning).
on the general topid of save loading; i find that i have been playing this game as an almost rpg type game. a good campaign has that type of feel. and i am an old school rpg player. dont you remember when manuals (lol those things made from trees with words written in them) came with all the games and most everyone of them gave this advice to the players, "save, save, and then save again!" (and i think that is taken word for word from a manual i used to have).
so for me save/load is kind of ingrained into my gaming psyche. (though once i am more comfortable with bfw i will try to not s/l some. gotta say the thought of losing a unit i invested into does give me the willies though)
while we are on this topic i gotta say i really find it kinda rude that so many here use the term save scumming. not only is this term needlessly provocative it is mildly offensive. i didnt attack your style of play, i didnt claim to be better then you, i didnt try to spoil your party so let the sleeping freaking dog run in its dreams. i mean seriously what difference does it make to you if i do it? unless we are playing multi-player or i am talking smack, it shouldnt make any difference to some one else.
the only thing that matters is wether we enjoy the game we are playing, and i do, thank you very much.
{sorry just had to rant there a bit as the whole savescum thing really bothers me.}
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

When I first started playing I save/reloaded quite often (which is what you might expect), but now, I don't save/reload much at all. I think people's habits change over time. I use to just rush every unit into battle without considering time of day, terrain, etc, but now my turns are more thought out. I'm not as hasty, and I play more defensively. What I've learned is more patience equals less save/reloads.

Another thing that might cut down on save/reloads is just changing your mindset (a paradigm shift, so to speak). You can't expect everything to go perfectly. Before, when I have a low level unit go in for a striking blow against a high level enemy leader to get a big xp boost, and the guy misses, that would've been an automatic save/reload. Now, I just shrug my shoulders, and forget about it (try to anyway). I'll just take the next guy and get the kill. Xp is xp after all.