Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Dugi »

@gfgtdf
Sorry for remembering wrongly who was I replying to (can't you have better names that random buttonmashes?). Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote, but I thought you wanted to say that it took 7 seconds less, while my improvement took 1 second less, not that your lua edit did it in 1 second while without it it took 7 seconds. I should sleep at 3 a.m. instead of browsing the forums, obviously.
Crow_T wrote:Hopefully LotI is all backed up somewhere!
I did not lose my files anyway (I had some files prepared for chapter 9 that were not backupped). I was not storing them on the same partition as the OS was.
flyskippy1

Post by flyskippy1 »

The 'pierce' weapon trait on 'The Impaler' spear says that it damages enemies on the other side of the enemy you hit, but it appears to also damage your units. Specifically, I managed to kill one of my own units who happened to be on the wrong side of a dragon...

So, either a bug or a bad description...
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

sorry for having random buttommashes as name, but when i created this account i thought like "i just want to report a bug and now i have to complete a f*** forum-create-account form"
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Dugi wrote:The slowers are the dual foreach and the message, lua can accelerate the dual foreach, I know that, I even know how to make it faster, but as I said, I am not using lua in LotI because it is confusing for anybody trying to learn WML. There are a few pieces of lua to show some statuses and AI, but these are things that cannot be done in WML. WML can be even hundreds of times slower than lua, but in most cases, the speed of WML is enough.
Dugi, I respect that you wish to use WML as it is the "standard" and it would help some people, but I would recommend you consider another thought. There are many examples of WML in the core of Wesnoth and other add-ons, but there are precious few examples of good usage of lua. I would say that if you wanted to use lua, it would be an invaluable asset to the Wesnoth library for others to learn lua from your examples. So I would encourage you to use it when you desire instead of leaning on slower and longer WML code.
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

flyskippy1 wrote:The 'pierce' weapon trait on 'The Impaler' spear says that it damages enemies on the other side of the enemy you hit, but it appears to also damage your units.
Seems my previous attempt to fix it was not very good. Fixed it, but not uploaded yet.
arobinson wrote:Dugi, I respect that you wish to use WML as it is the "standard" and it would help some people, but I would recommend you consider another thought...
You might be right... but the problem is that I will have to rewrite that code anyway because there is a load of code that prevents you from losing old stuff at the moment. Rewriting it now just to rewrite it later is not the best idea. After some time, when most people will have their inventories updated, I will alter the code again, to quicken it. I might write it in WML and comment it and write it in lua then.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

hi, in chapter 5 you have a unit "Chapter5 Event Loader" could you explain the advantages/ disadvantages of loading events with this method? (compard to the "normal" events witch you include with {GLOBAL_EVENTS})
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

{GLOBAL_EVENTS} does a very similar trick, but with a unit named Global Event Loader. In both cases, it puts all these events into a unit, creates it to add the events to each scenario in prestart and then kill it because it does not belong into the game. It can seem uselessly complicated, because these events may be simply put into these scenarios, but there is a problem with that: in that case, all scenarios are read and cached with all these events, so these events are cached once for each scenario, and that means that they are cached dozens of times; as a result, it takes several minutes to load (it is normally, it is like a half minute for me), eating like 3 gigabytes of virtual memory. If it is in a unit, it is preprocessed and cached only once (eating like 200 megabytes of virtual memory, probably because of the number of units with AMLA and sheer length). So I am trying to keep any event packs in units instead of scenarios. There are more optimalisations like this in LotI, and without them, it just would not work quickly enough to be playable.

If you have more questions about the code, ask them, its code was supposed to be also for learning purposes (that is why I did not use lua), but it does not belong into this topic, so better use WML workshop forum or PMs. If you choose WML workshop forum, give it a name that would catch my eye.
jeffgreen

Post by jeffgreen »

Hybrids of steel - Into the Shadows - Efraim wirling just killed an allied Orc. Wesnoth 1.10 latest version of LOTI (OK it's a coule of days old)
flyskippy1

Post by flyskippy1 »

In the final scenario of Chapter 4: my Lethalia has 11 movement and teleport, so I was able to move to one of the enemy keeps and fill it with recruits on the first turn, then the enemy boss left his keep to attack, so I was able to hit him for a win on the second turn. It might be a good idea to move some of those villages further away to prevent this.
Piko555

Post by Piko555 »

I used a similar glitch somewhere in chapter 7. Imo near enemies' leaders shouldn't be any player's villages.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

jeffgreen wrote:Hybrids of steel - Into the Shadows - Efraim wirling just killed an allied Orc. Wesnoth 1.10 latest version of LOTI (OK it's a coule of days old)
There was a logic error in the fix I wrote for it. Thanks for reporting.
flyskippy1 wrote:In the final scenario of Chapter 4: my Lethalia has 11 movement and teleport, so I was able to move to one of the enemy keeps and fill it with recruits on the first turn, then the enemy boss left his keep to attack, so I was able to hit him for a win on the second turn. It might be a good idea to move some of those villages further away to prevent this.
I made him unable to move.
Piko555 wrote:I used a similar glitch somewhere in chapter 7. Imo near enemies' leaders shouldn't be any player's villages.
Can you please explain where it was? I am aware that it was in the 2nd scenario there, but there it was rather intended, you had to defeat the possessed orcs quickly. Was it also elsewhere where it might not have been possible?

No fixes uploaded, work on chapter 9 is in progress.
Piko555

Post by Piko555 »

It was in the underground, there were dwarven allies, and the goal was to kill demonologist. Don't exactly know which number it had.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It was probably Subterranean War. It should no longer happen on the next version. The actual problem is that AI settings that make leaders do nothing except attacking adjacent opponents seem to do absolutely nothing - it is known, but nobody seems to be going to fix it.

EDIT: I discovered a serious bug. The items on the item list were ordered in a fixed order (and identical items placed together), with potions and books at the top of the list, but they were not sorted by item types. The fix was an easy thing, it was just a small mistake, but it was making the change almost useless. Anyway, the items are stored properly and in order in the oncoming version, and all items stored on the versions from the last two weeks will be ordered properly there. However, it will take some time, because I am writing chapter 9. I am sorry for this inconvenience.
flyskippy1

Post by flyskippy1 »

Chapter 5 Scenario 5: the victory description at the beginning of the Scenario was "Defeat
Spoiler:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Seems that the alter advancement option was not checking if the unit was on your side. Thanks for reporting. Fixed.

EDIT: Update - first scenario complete. There was too many things to initialise for the whole campaign, next scenarios should be faster.