Introduce yourself here!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

customizer

Re: Introduce yourself here!

Post by customizer »

I actually registered a few days back and posted in the technical support forum, but seeing how there's no official "OMG WESNOTH IS AN AMAZING GAME THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU" topic, I'll just post here :P

I'm a TBS nut and up until recently I hadn't heard about BFW, boy was I missing out on something goooood! Front Mission 3 was the pinacle of the genre as far as I was concerned, but Wesnoth just shattered that, big time.

You guys rule, my most sincere grattitude to everyone involved in the project <3
"He's steppin' out, Yoshi."
SpongeBob

Post by SpongeBob »

Guess I'll introduce myself too. :wink:

I first played Wesnoth in version 1.2. After a long break I started playing again when version 1.8 came out. I'm still not very good at the game, but I'm practicing, and I've been watching pro matches on the official multiplayer server. So far Wesnoth is one of my favorite TBS games and I'm still trying to get better at it.

So anyway, hello and thanks for the game. :)
I am a sponge. I'm full of water.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Awesome name. 8)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Alternatic

Post by Alternatic »

Hi guys,

I registered before some time and was reading the forum without commenting, but I started my own thread and so I thought I should introduce myself here.

I have been playing Wesnoth for a very long time but in spite of that I'm no pro. However I love this game and I would love to start adding some stuff into it.

I hope I won't spam and talk nonsense too much.
All mistakes included in the message above are intentional.
You can buy a version without mistakes for 5$ each.
matxer

Post by matxer »

Hi !

I've discovered this game very recently. Love it, else I wouldn't post here.

It reminds me of the Fire Emblem series. It is even better.

I'm a vet of wargames (I recommend WinMBT) and tactical RPGs (my fav is Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP).

I love this open source concept, the depth of the game, this forum. It rocks.
wolkenwand

Post by wolkenwand »

Hello i though i will introduce myself too. I like strategy game and i play a lot of them: sots, civ iv, front mission 3, saiyuki journey to west ( my favorite! ), onimusha tactic, master of orion 2 and stuff.
i like fantasy genre too, i read all lord of the rings before the movie published, i've read eragon books and narnia too.
I found wesnoth last year and had been on and off playing since then.
Also wesnoth community is awesome, the members are cool, they fix bug with fast too after i report them.

Thank you for the good game ^_^
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

Well, then let me introduce. I'm from Portugal, freelancer and 26 age. Hobby-historian and linguist, claiming any historical book around (fantasy works too), and always open to experiment new stuff.
Discovered Wesnoth way back in 2004 on a random Google search (no clue what I was actually looking for) and my first impression was sort of 'meh who would play such a game?', some months lather I downloaded the game.......
Although never really get the hang of it, being much of an average player, and rarely finishing a campaign despite of starting and re-starting tons of them (usually I get until the last scenario and then 'forget' the campaign...), still religiously install any new version. Since 2009 I mostly stopped playing anyway; focusing now on the development side seeing on a way to contribute and trying to spread the word.
ThatOneGuy

Post by ThatOneGuy »

Hey, I'm That One Guy, I'm not sure since exactly when I've been playing, but I think it was around 2007 or 2008 when I first found this game with my friends. I've really gotten to love this game, I go through some sort of cycle of tiring of it and leaving, only to be drawn back months later. I'm a huge fan of multiplayer and especially custom scenarios: world conquest, 2p campaign, Fall of Trent/bob's rpg, and such. Just recently I came back to Wesnoth once again, downloaded the newest version, and opened up the multiplayer lobby. To my dismay, there were maybe 3 or 4 games in progress, and one other person in the lobby. What's happened, has the size of the active community gone down by that much, or was I probably on at an off time of day?
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

ThatOneGuy:
You probably downloaded the 1.11 version (which is flagged as the development version) instead of 1.10 (the stable one). On the latter, there are a lot more players. ;)
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
ThatOneGuy

Post by ThatOneGuy »

Oh, that would probably do it. I'm downloading 1.10.5 now, I'm not sure how I missed that. Thanks for letting me know!
naomi

Post by naomi »

Hey there, I'm Naomi.
I started playing yesterday, and have been devouring the campaigns nonstop. Most of the time, I'm not a big strategy-game player (I like individual customization as opposed to the management of large numbers of units), but the art, storylines, and general awesomeness of Wesnoth won me over. I love that it's free, opensource, and something I can get on Linux (which, as lovely as it is, isn't compatible with freaking anything). Also, the setting and feel of Wesnoth is like what would happen if Song of Ice and Fire and Lord of the Rings had a baby.
Also, the background music rocks.
So much.
Bullseye

Post by Bullseye »

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiii............

Best play game i've ever play.

I'd Like to play multiplayer :D
jieverson

Post by jieverson »

Hi guys! :geek:

I am starting to look at the game as developer.
I am doing Master's degree in Artificial Intelligence, and I am planning to use this game to my results.
Would be cool if I could talk with other AI developers.

Thanks!
lipk

Post by lipk »

mattsc, Alarantalara and Crab are your men. You can also contact them in the #wesnoth-dev channel on FreeNode.
jieverson

Post by jieverson »

Thanks lipk! I'm not familiar with FreeNode. It's a messager? IRC?
The channels are public? Can I access the "#wesnoth-dev"?

I am current a .NET developer, with some love for Ruby. I have worked with C++ already, and I saw the game can be built using Visual Studio.
I hadn't work with Lua yet, but I think it won't be a problem.