The ghosts of flame wars past

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

This mask still has too much fuzzing of the edges. It needs the hard edge.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

among other improvements, that looks much more sinister. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

ok, an even harder edge (this is about as far as it can go without breaking other things, though).
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Another nice thing about these graphics is that they actually look frail, just like the units are.
Last edited by Elvish_Pillager on December 20th, 2004, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

bueno
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

scott wrote:bueno
Please, say "good" in English.

I will too: This is really good! It is way better than the current shadow and nightgaunt! When you have made your improvements, Jetryl, you had better commit it, or else! :twisted: Ok, I'll calm down now.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
cpark

Post by cpark »

Looks good to me too. I'll look forward to playing the game with this guy. :)
scott

Post by scott »

"bueno" en ingles

You know, they have online translators. Let me know if you want anything else said.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Invisible Philosopher wrote:
scott wrote:narf
Please, say "zug-zug" in English.
:? Um, I'd just like to remind people, that though english is the "lingua franca" of our forums (what a bizarre term, btw - it means "accepted language of international discourse," but unless I'm sorely mistaken, it literally means "french language". I'd conjecture that northern Africa is part of the reason for this, but I digress) - despite the fact that we conventionally use english to chat on here, many of the participants do not speak english as a native language.

Let's just keep in mind how deeply we impose on them.

(and at this, I close the comment, because I'm not sure whether you made this request for their benefit, or for ours).
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

anyways, here's a big family photo.

The animations for the gaunt are nearly done, and the only fellow that needs work is the ghost.

He needs a bunch of alpha love to get that proper ethereal feeling - however, most of francisco's original sprite will work just fine for that. It's not quite as good as the wraith/spectre where I changed absolutely nothing in the original sprite, but it's darned close.

All I need to do, is add more to his trunk, and then fade the whole thing away nicely - an effect I assume francisco was trying to achieve, but what just doesn't work without some truly unconventional use of alpha shading.

No unnatural ground shadow for the ghost, because he is too light in color - on top of which, this will help differentiate him.
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Jetryl wrote:
Invisible Philosopher wrote: Please, say "zug-zug" in English.
:? Um, I'd just like to remind people, that though english is the "lingua franca" of our forums (what a bizarre term, btw - it means "accepted language of international discourse," but unless I'm sorely mistaken, it literally means "french language". I'd conjecture that northern Africa is part of the reason for this, but I digress) - despite the fact that we conventionally use english to chat on here, many of the participants do not speak english as a native language.

Let's just keep in mind how deeply we impose on them.

(and at this, I close the comment, because I'm not sure whether you made this request for their benefit, or for ours).
For what it's worth, lingua franca is Italian, meaning "Frankish [European] language." It was a mixture of various European languages as well as Greek, Arabic, and some others spoken in the Eastern Mediterranean several centuries ago. So it's really a reference to the fact that it is a language derivative of "Frankish," i.e. European languages rather than specifically the French language. It was used as the common language in that area mainly for trading reasons, and that's why it has a more general meaning today of the "accepted language of people of different languages."
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

The new art looks really fantastic. Very nice work. I like how the entire ghost line will now have the same style. Can't wait to see them in-game.
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

Tryed to add definition to the mask in the angle jetryl want
Attachments
example.gif
example.gif (17.85 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
undead-nightgaunt2.png
undead-nightgaunt2.png (4.52 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

MRhe wrote:The new art looks really fantastic. Very nice work. I like how the entire ghost line will now have the same style. Can't wait to see them in-game.
:twisted: The ghosts actually turned out much better than I expected.

Now, I need to do two things - first, I need to give the lich-line a much more sinister looking "ball 'o evil magic" (something like what I gave the elvish sylphs, except dark magic).

And second, the ghost/wraith/spectre need an attack projectile of their own - a wave of sound rippling through the air. We can't really do that, because we can't do ripples, but we can at least have something that looks like a sound wave. It might not be great, but it will certainly be better than screaming a red ball at one's opponents.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

MRhe wrote:For what it's worth, lingua franca is Italian, meaning "Frankish [European] language." It was a mixture of various European languages as well as Greek, Arabic, and some others spoken in the Eastern Mediterranean several centuries ago. So it's really a reference to the fact that it is a language derivative of "Frankish," i.e. European languages rather than specifically the French language. It was used as the common language in that area mainly for trading reasons, and that's why it has a more general meaning today of the "accepted language of people of different languages."
Boy, I learn something new every day. Thanks.