Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

TheScribe wrote:Belleros kinda looks like he's wearing a mouthguard to me, based on the posistion of his lips
I see what you mean, I will try to fix that. Thanks.
8680 wrote:What is hanging from Athanta’s belt buckle? To me it looks like a slightly tapered glass canister with a metal bottom, containing a figurine of a torso.
It is a brain-fart. I thought something needed to go there, to complete the swoosh of her pauldron - gauntlet - staff, but didn't have a firm plan. If it is distracting, I should change it to something else.
Thanks.

EDIT:updated Athanta
Attachments
athanta.png
athanta.png (170.31 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've updated Raenna, whose portrait didn't suck as bad as many of the others I drew at the time, but still needed an update. I think she may have a dislocated shoulder, I'm not sure. And there are probably other issues. But this portrait spans two campaigns, she is one of the key characters, so I'm willing to spend more time on this than others.
Attachments
Raenna2d.png
Raenna2d.png (190.4 KiB) Viewed 5333 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

It's been fun to watch how your portrait skills have grown over the years. This looks great.

The only thing that stuck out to me was she does not seem to be holding the arrow. It looks like it is just resting on her hand somehow. If it is meant to go between her fingers I don't read it that way, probably because of the fletching.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. I see what you mean about the arrow, though I'm not sure how to deal with it. It'll show up again, there are more archers to be drawn, so maybe I'll find a good reference one day.

Staying with the same character, the portrait this next one is replacing was a bit cartoony and too frail (and strangely stiff). I did try to make it look like the same person as above, but in addition to my skill limitations, the costume etc. is completely different, so I'm having a difficult time telling how successful it was. Hopefully close enough, the player doesn't get to see them side-by-side anyway.

There are some details still to be worked on, but I'm done for the day.
EDIT:I just couldn't stop... Now I'm done.
Attachments
raenna_bad.png
raenna_bad.png (142.05 KiB) Viewed 5173 times
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

That looks like an awfully strange way to hold a knife. It appears to be floating on its own power just a centimeter below her hand, or else the handle is attached to her wrist.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Yeah, it couldn't be held still like that. Maybe that's why I liked it that way, it implies some movement.

------------------------------------------------

I couldn't get motivated enough in redrawing an orc or a guy in armor, so I moved on to good old Echidna. Some things were done cheaply, and there are details to work on, but I think the form and design is finished.
EDIT:Pretty much finished now.
Attachments
Echidna-BMR.png
Echidna-BMR.png (258.85 KiB) Viewed 5082 times
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

doofus-01 wrote:Yeah, it couldn't be held still like that. Maybe that's why I liked it that way, it implies some movement.
Hm, my first impression wasn't movement. I thought she was pointing at something in the distance... ok, then.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've revised Nemesis. Some parts of the old portrait I was happy with, some parts sucked. (old version is not much improved over this:
Spoiler:
So I didn't start over, but think most problems with the old have been fixed.
Nemesis2b-revised.png
Nemesis2b-revised.png (255.82 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
As satisfied as I felt with the design though, it has the disadvantage that keeping her at 500px makes her look very small, sort of a violent Tinkerbell. Maybe folding her left wing in can regain some real estate. In principle, portraits can be bigger than 500 X 500px (though I don't see any mainline that are), but it causes the game to crash occasionally.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I was going through Trinity, because it needs some attention, and I realized many of the Khthon sprites are... showing their age - some aren't even pixel art. So, I'm going to give them a facelift. I'm also going to replace some of the units that make no sense to me now (as if any of them make sense): the horses along the left edge are being retired, and replaced with the two to the right. I didn't get to the turtles yet, they weren't the worst offenders anyway.
Attachments
wolves.png
wolves.png (54.99 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Man, I really love the way you texture. Only thing that seems off are the two purple horses in the center: they look a little pillow shaded.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I'm thinking you're over-relying on perfect orthogonal and diagonal lines. The ram's chestplate is practically made of octagons, and its back is straight like an arrow. The lv2 purple horse's profile and hoof-blades are very very angular. The armored horse line also suffers a bit from too many horizontal lines, imo, as does the bull-ophion's tails which touch the ground on a very long flat line. The result of all of these things is that the sprites don't look very lively or organic, but rather... compressed into a silhouette that they don't quite fit perfectly.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

how do you explain a wolf suddenly gaining a 2nd head at level 3
em3

Post by em3 »

tr0ll wrote:how do you explain a wolf suddenly gaining a 2nd head at level 3
Through backstory.
ride on shooting star
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Amorphous wrote:Only thing that seems off are the two purple horses in the center: they look a little pillow shaded.
Hrm, not sure, could be. I tried to make them have short and shiny hair, not really convinced it worked either.
Zerovirus wrote:I'm thinking you're over-relying on perfect orthogonal and diagonal lines...
I disagree with the overall critique, but I do agree that the green triangles of the horse and the flat back of the ram thing are no good.
em3 wrote:
tr0ll wrote:how do you explain a wolf suddenly gaining a 2nd head at level 3
Through backstory.
I was going to say something more smartassed, but what em3 said covers it.

Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I am fixing some portraits in Trinity. I don't have the desire to redraw them completely, but the faces are good candidates for a touch-up. This is supposed to be the same person, under different circumstances and the transition is not "in-scenario", so the player won't see them at the same time to analyze and find fault, but it would be nice to get them at least recognizable. The one with the sword is in later scenarios than the other.
Spoiler: