Scenario 2: The Chase

Feedback for the mainline campaign A Tale of Two Brothers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shadowblack

Re: Two Brothers: 2. The Chase

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard, 1.8.2 (I’ve played it on Easy, too, but I’ll comment only on the Hard version)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Initially 7; after killing the first few scouts goes down to 5

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Fine.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
In order:
1. Killing enemy scouts quickly, before they could gather together and gang up on a single (wounded) unit – Spearmen + Charge helps a lot, unless you’re unlucky with the latter
2. Getting rid of that level 2 fighter without any losses – the footpads’ 70% def in forests helped a lot in weakening him with ranged attacks
3. Getting rid of that Wose – fortunately it was level 1 and nice enough to come out on open ground, allowing me to weaken it a little bit with my lone archer and then to finish it off with Arne and my recently-promoted Knight
4. Reaching the Dark Adept without engaging the two Revenants waiting for me at the end – fortunately the two were nice enough to (unsuccessfully) attack a footpad in a forest, allowing a knight to Charge the Adept

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Scenario 2: The Chase

Post by Mountain_King »

1.9.5, Challenging, no recruits, Irish translation.
About an 8 without recruiting.
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Awesome.
Getting swarmed early on by elves. I restarted from beginning several times to figure out a good strategy for the first couple of turns. It turns out the strategy is to stay in your keep, with all your men. Don't expose your horsemen to the scouts in you can until dawn.
5 or so.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's good and hard, so it should probably stay as-is.
Attachments
SnBD-Fiach_athfhéachaint.gz
(16.16 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
AvovA

Post by AvovA »

1.8.5, hard.
7, pretty hard. I mismanaged my troops in the previous scenario, and I did not
have any level 2 units. If I had any loyals on before, I accidentally lost them on scenario 1. It was hard to kill all the elfs quickly with so much forest around. Also,
they are quick and hard to zoc out of my wounded units. Here I lost almost all the units I recruited. The survivors though got to level 2 though.
Very unclear. I though I just needed to reach the black area in the north.
Do not care much.
See (2).
8, pretty fun.
Rewrite the objectives.
Faello

Post by Faello »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Challenging (Knight) - top difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 199 starting gold

I was surprised by the difficulty level of this scenario. Nil-Galion (Elvish Rider) has only 60gp to recruit in his small fort, but has a pretty decent standing army at the beginning of the scenario, that fortunately doesn't come all together vs player troops. Recalling too much loyal units could end with restarting after death of some, but I predicted this opportunity and only soldiers that lost their lives here were the non-loyal troopers :mrgreen:

5 losses, 20 kills

Crystal clear.

Very interesting, this campaign story is well written :)

Dealing with the elves without loyal units losses on time. Nil-Galion "attack&run" attacks were also quite pesky.

It's well designed and requires good planning. I really liked it. Plot is also very good :)

No changes required.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
AToTB-The_Chase_replay.gz
The Chase replay, Challenging (Knight) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(20.89 KiB) Downloaded 769 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on? Hardest, 1.9.8, no save load
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 6 to preserve my loyal units.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Fine.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Solid.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Preserving loyal units, the level 2 elven fighter was difficult to approach as anyone who he wounded was in danger of getting picked off by elven riders. The Wose was also a threat due to how pierce heavy my forces were.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 7.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? N/A
Attachments
1.9.8, Hard, no save load, preserved all loyals
(18.38 KiB) Downloaded 869 times
blurrr2

Post by blurrr2 »

(1) easy, hard
(2) 4, 6
(3) Clear, but I thought the kidnappers were actually running
(4) The "Don't use horsemen" part was dumb on easy. High pierce damage is just what you want against scouts, the elve's favored unit.
      On hard, my horsemen got toasted, so it made sense there
(5) Elves have high defense in forest
(6) 8 on easy, OHKOing enemy scouts with Arne/Arvith was awesome
     5 on hard, the ents woses were annoying
(7) make the dark adept behave better. He just stands between his skeletons until you come into range. He should send the skeletons at you, and then try to flee off the map. If you don't stop him, he escapes and you don't get the passwords.
ipora

Post by ipora »

Knight, Wesnoth 1.10
7 or 8
Clear
It's good, but Arne could say something when learns that the Elf is with the undeads, like "I knew we can't trust Elfs", or he cares so few for them that it is as he even doesn't listen what Nil-Galion says??
Holding up my position with lawfull units during the night was proving a lame decision, so I recruited a castle full of spendable Footpads, and in the second turn (still night) recalled my loyals with the money I still got. Even so the Elvish scouts run too much, t's hard to protect wounded ones from them. When I finally could go north things got better, but lost a Knight on a bad move, the Elvish leader was no problem, the same to the Dark Adept, but I opted not to fight the lvl 2 skeletons as the night just started and turns were running out.
6 or 7, the best part is learning about an bad Elf, but the Elvish Scouts are nerving!!!
Sorry, I don't know any now!
Attachments
(19.75 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

easy 1.10.2
Clear
It was nice going up against some elves just because it was rare in the campaigns i've played so far
none
it's good.
Fate is against me.
jonaskoelker

Post by jonaskoelker »

(1) Easy, 1.10 (debian 1:1.10.2-1)
(2) Difficulty: 3/10. I felt like I had to do more leapfrogging than the first scenario, and more than one moment of success was (at least in part) due to luck.
(3) Objective clarity: unmistakable, 10/10.
(4) Dialog and storyline: clear and good, mounts the tension between Arvith and Baran very well. The elven interaction (i.e. xenophobia) seemed a bit abrupt and contrived. Then again, it was contrived---it was purchased, not fully genuine, so maybe that's a fine thing.
(5) Most challenging aspect: leap-frogging wounded units in difficult terrain. Some bad rolls of the dice. (Then again, some good ones too.)
(6) Fun: kept me engaged all the time. 8/10.
(7) Changes: I can't think of any.
Attachments
(16.65 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

normal, 1.10.2

2. Surprisinlgy easy for fighting against elves in their own territory

Clear enough

Clear and interesting. The relationship between the two brothers gets developed, although...
I dont know if it is a problem in the translation (german) or if it is a problem in other languages too, but the elves a kind of... odd. In the beginning they say "The others said you are evil, so we fight you" which sounds very much like they got tricked into attacking the wrong persons, which is a good idea. But... when you kill the elven chief, he mumbles about us not being able to stop the undead, whick indicates that he was not tricked but a knowing ally of the undead. That is odd considering that this are elves which despise everything unnatural like, say, undead... I dont think an elf would prefer undead over humans when choosing an ally. Being tricked into attacking the wrong people sounds much more likely.

None

5. It is quite fun...

Well... it would be nice if the undead would actually running away, but they are standing just around and wait until they get attacked, which is off considering that they are supposed to flee and you follow them
Seldam

Post by Seldam »

easy, 1.10.5;

Not that clear then usually but okay.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?

-

It's okay. A solid 6.

-
Attachments
DGzB-Die_Jagd_Seldam.gz
Replay.
(20.7 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

(1) Hard 1.10.5
(2) starting out: 9, after that: 4; if you don't look after your gold in the first mission it's nearly impossible
(3) quite clear, but not as clear as usual
(4) 3/10, why would an elf side with the undead?
(5) elven hero and waves of sniping scouts
(6) 7/10, frustrating in the beginning, fun at the end
(7) remove that elven hero
Last edited by D-Wade on March 8th, 2013, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOA-Paperwork

Post by DOA-Paperwork »

Hard
Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7

8 Came down to the last turn on my first try. Backing it up four turns gave me the few hexes of rushed advancement I needed to complete the mission.

The least clear of all the campaigns missions. However the name of the mission helped suggest I keep heading north.

Clear enough.

Advancing fast enough through the tress.

7. The challenge of the mission is great fun. But you can tell by the first five turns if you need to start over. So you don't get over invested in it.

A mage you have to keep alive from the first mission to get some healing. Or perhaps in this mission you can free a white mage (lv. 2) from the necromancer at the end of the chase.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Challenging 1.10.7

I could see there being room for confusion, but I didn't have any trouble figuring out what to do.

Again it is much improved from when I played this apparently back around 1.1.9. The elves actually have a sensible motive, and it makes our ultimate foes seem smarter, managing to turn the elves against us. Again the overall story of the campaign is not the most original, but it remains pretty well told.

The first few turns are rough. The enemy immediately rushes you with a elven hero, and with my only level 2 unit other then my leader being an outlaw, I had no way of quickly killing it other then attacking it with a large number of level 1's which badly wounded some. This is immediately followed by several waves of elvish scouts who have a high enough mobility to make protecting weakened units difficult. Then around turn 5ish all the difficulty vanishes once the initial waves are down. I was able to advance a number of units to level 2 during the initial rush, my elven opponent could only recruit a single unit a turn, meaning for the rest of the map I was fighting only a small trickle of units, and the level 1 dark adept rushed ahead of his two revenant guards and died in a single hit to one of my knights.

4. The inital rush is interesting, but the majority of the scenario is trekking north meeting almost no resistance.

The dark adept at the end needs more defenders, and needs to be programmed to stay behind them, and possibly should be made level 2 as well. As things stand it is absurdly easy to kill him quickly and even if I had to fight the bodyguard he has I doubt they could stand up to my army for long. Also it would be nice if the difficulty of fighting the elves wasn't so frontloaded. The initial rush was nice and should be kept, but a few more elves should be added that stay on the defense, so victory is not preordained the second the rush ends.
JMichael

Post by JMichael »

Wesnoth 1.12.2
But there are things that need done and questions that need answered.
I would say "things that need doing, and questions that need
answering"; or "things that need to be done, and questions that need to
be answered."