GambCiv • A civ-like Wesnoth add-on

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: GambCiv • A civ-like Wesnoth add-on

Post by Gambit »

Unfortunately I am unable to let players do things when it isn't their turn.

I recently had some ideas about automated fishing and mining. The reason I hadn't done anything in that area yet is because emergencies can happen during opponents and you very well could decide you can't afford to waste action points on mining that turn.

But one of the solutions I was thinking about would be adding options to your leader where you could trigger all mines you own that have peasants in range at once. Or activate every fishing boat that is already in position at once. Or every stone quarry. Or every unit on a university would be trained at the same time.

Or perhaps even just per peasant there could be options like "Harvest every tree in range" or "Activate every nearby gold mine".

Destroyed gold mines collapsing the mountains is an intentional design decision. It helps make mountains feel extra important. They are meant to be the most valuable resource.
lipk

Post by lipk »

I tried GambCiv yesterday and figured that the need to use menu items for repetitive actions is a major ruiner of fun. I've put together some proof-of-concept code which allows the player to perform actions on multiple hexes in a more convenient fashion. It's supposed to be mp-safe, but it's rather hacky so it could use some further testing. The code might be rather ugly as I haven't done any WML in ages and I still haven't learned Lua properly.

How to use: extract to add-on folder, launch "Select multiple hexes" in mp. Right click on leader, "Start selection", toggle selection on marked hexes by clickcing on them, right click on leader, "Stop selection". Units on selectable hexes are temporarily removed. I don't think it's a big deal, but probably can be fixed if you want.
Attachments
Select_Multiple_Hexes.zip
(4.93 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

@Lipk :

I am new to map testing and didn't manage to launch it even if it looks great. It appears in m list of add-ons but not in my list of maps in mp. How can it be done ? Nonetheless, i took a look at the code : why does selected and unselected hexes have a unit type ( darwish foot, 1 hp, etc ) ? Also I didn't understand the reference to a spearman in the code. Shouldn't it be the leader ?

Yesterday you talked about a GSoC about planning moves : it was already done in 2010 http://wiki.wesnoth.org/GSoC-WesnothWhi ... ing_System and http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=45.

Seems the main problems they encountered were "gamestate conflicts" and I am not sure Wesnoth could handle a change of owner of the mine for instance or the death of the peasant nearby. On the opposite hand, mines and crops can't generate "action conflict" since they don't attack and don't move.

@Gambit :

Yesterday too you talked about random events. I think a event which would be great would be earthquake, generating moutains. A bit far-stretched but those new moutains would change the whole geopolitical situation on the map. During summer, drought could advantage drakes by replacing flat with sand and turning rivers into swamp. Flooding on the opposite in automn could make deep water more common.

About auto-farming and auto-mining, I agree with you that the player should use his AP as he wants. But gaining time is important to him/her too. I don't know if we can find a balance between those two points. For instance, I know I alway want at part of my mines to work but maybe not all of them since I can want to recruit. Investing all his AP in economy is only possible during peace but even during war i need money to recruit and fight.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

The planning mode doesn't interact with WML at all. Add-ons can't touch it.

As far as automation of mines, the compromise I have come up with is as follows:
  1. When you only want to activate a few specific mines, you can do so normally.
  2. If you would like to save time and activate all of your mines at once, you will be able to right click your leader and activate all your valid gold mines everywhere on the map.
  3. You will also be able to right click a peasant and activate all your valid gold mines within range of that peasant.
This will take a while to code, and requires a lot of changes throughout GambCiv, so it will also take a while to test.

At the moment that menu looks like this.

You will know ahead of time how much it will cost, and how much you will gain. Notice it even takes lumbermills into account for the trees. Though in that situation, I don't have enough action points, so it would only harvest five trees.
lipk

Post by lipk »

I am new to map testing and didn't manage to launch it even if it looks great.
So you didn't see it but it looks great nonetheless? Hmm :P
It appears in m list of add-ons but not in my list of maps in mp. How can it be done ?
It should be there somewhere, are you sure you didn't overlook it?
Nonetheless, i took a look at the code : why does selected and unselected hexes have a unit type ( darwish foot, 1 hp, etc ) ? Also I didn't understand the reference to a spearman in the code. Shouldn't it be the leader ?
This is Really Tricky WML and Really Tricky WML tends to involve absurd things like dummy unit types. I don't get the problem with spearmen.
Yesterday you talked about a GSoC about planning moves : it was already done in 2010 http://wiki.wesnoth.org/GSoC-WesnothWhi ... ing_System and http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=45.
Yes I know that whiteboard is already implemented. Actually, this is why I dared to suggest that it could have a programmable interface :P
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

A couple balance changes coming to the next version (to be released with Wesnoth 1.11.2):

Archery towers now cost no food, and slightly less material.

Castles now cost no gold and a tiny bit more material.

To make the watchtower upgrade for huts more attractive I have given them a 12-1 lawful pierce ranged attack just like archery towers and transport ships.
IgnisSolus

Post by IgnisSolus »

I've been playing on the Random Map gen, Sigurd's one, to be exact, and I like like like the cave. It's pretty hard to do well there, especially if there's barbs, and that makes it fun. But I found one thing - walls. You should be able to dig tunnels through the cave walls. It would be really cool, like building something like Gondolin or similar. So, yay or nay to cave wall destroying and tunneling?
What's up with not being able to get an avatar?
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

Are there any general times during which you are around to play this Gambit?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Not really. I don't hang around the Wesnoth lobby these days. I am generally on IRC on weekends and in the evenings (EST) on weekdays though if you want to set up a game that way.