[UMC - Interface] Copy & Paste error messages

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
junoslord

[UMC - Interface] Copy & Paste error messages

Post by junoslord »

I don't know what the limitations to this are, but is there a way to make the error message box active, so that it can be copied onto the clipboard?

For those of us doing UMC it would be a nice touch when trying to get help with an error. I usually just paraphrase the message and am always afraid something gets missed.

Maybe coding them and giving back a error code would be another avenue, but this would require someone to actually assign, and encode the codes. I'd be no use at the second, but would do what I could to help with the first.
America-- Land of the Free, home of the Brave! "And now that we've taken care of the Braves we're coming after the Free."

"BANNED!!! What the hell do you mean BANNED? All I did was call one narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi moderator a narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi!"
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: [UMC - Interface] Copy & Paste error messages

Post by Iris »

junoslord wrote:For those of us doing UMC it would be a nice touch when trying to get help with an error. I usually just paraphrase the message and am always afraid something gets missed.
Errors like that generally appear in stderr, along with warnings that users don’t see in-game. If you are developing content, you should be paying attention to stderr for any lines like that anyway.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: [UMC - Interface] Copy & Paste error messages

Post by Crendgrim »

The problem is when someone testing the add-on stumbles upon the error. He most likely is not so versed with how to read stderr, so he has two options when reporting the bug: Either paraphrasing the message (which could always lead to misunderstandings), or make a screenshot of the whole screen, as seen in many threads.
It would be way more easy if there was a "Copy message to clipboard" function/button.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!