Ship/Boat Unit Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
junoslord

Ship/Boat Unit Art

Post by junoslord »

So I've been digging through the forum and wiki and haven't been able to really find anyone that has done work on ships or boats (other than the two models in the mainline). Is it safe to assume that no one has really worked on naval units, or have I been searching for the wrong terms?

I was also wondering if there where any artists out there that tried ships, that then thought that's total crap, there's no way I'm showing anyone this? If you have it's probably better than what I've done so far...

And I can always credit you as "Anonymous"-- to protect your reputation. :twisted:
America-- Land of the Free, home of the Brave! "And now that we've taken care of the Braves we're coming after the Free."

"BANNED!!! What the hell do you mean BANNED? All I did was call one narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi moderator a narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi!"
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: Ship/Boat Unit Art

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I ransacked the forums a while back to find ship images for The Altaz Mariners. I'm not vouching for the quality of the images, but I've attached all that I found.
Attachments
boat-images.zip
(155.06 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

There are a couple of boats included in the Imperial Era which were used for campaigns, but nothing that is animated or could be considered mainline quality. There are some great sprites out there from projects like FreeCol etc that could be used/adapted for Wesnoth, though.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hello,
From many Wesnoth sources, here are 40 ships sprites.
boats.zip
(227.38 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
HTH
junoslord

Post by junoslord »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help! Some of these look promising. I'm assuming that these are "open" images and that I can doctor them up if I need to.

Also, from a community point of view, who would object to side profile ships? I think I could do much better profiles than worrying about image angles, drawing a deck (that doesn't look like a drunken sailor drew it), and then trying to draw a not horrible hull. Not to mention sails!!!

And, speaking of sails... I was trying to think of a way to show unit progression from level to level without actually changing the ship type (which in context makes sense not to do) and was thinking of using a "battle flag" that grows in length as the ship crew gains experience. I would like to try and use the long variant of the side flag for this... it even flutters. There is also a flag variant (knaglan? [misspelled on purpose, unless I remembered it right, then yeah me!]) that is basically a square... I was thinking of using square sails anyway (historic) and thought I could use this as a sail somehow.

Any help or hints on how to pull these off would be great! It's only one faction but I think it has the most "fun" potential for some more strategic scenarios than the normal BoW mainlines.
America-- Land of the Free, home of the Brave! "And now that we've taken care of the Braves we're coming after the Free."

"BANNED!!! What the hell do you mean BANNED? All I did was call one narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi moderator a narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi!"