Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.33

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Re: Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.10

Post by vultraz »

I've always though the AE was in need of a massive code overhaul, seeing as it always, ALWAYS seems to have bugs related to incorrect filenames and such. Not sure I'd want to take it over, though. :hmm:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

It's a big job, since all the filenames need to be changed for each faction, to ensure distinction from each other and also distinction from their original eras. I'm sure that someone with more coding knowledge could do it better, but for a pleb like me (having just done exactly that to make a development era) doing that for however many thousand factions are in the AE sounds like a large amount of brain-numbing work, even if you know the issues and how to fix them.

And that's without actually fixing any of the bugs and issues.

Besides, it's all academic, unless mnewton was willing to pass the pbl file to somebody else, no-one else can maintain the era, even if they wanted too. Short of creating a disaster waiting to happen like "Ageless Era Fixed".
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

For changing unit id's, use this terminal script:

Code: Select all

perl -pi -w -e 's/id=/id=AE_/g' {foo}/*.cfg
Where {foo} is the path to the folder with the unit cfg's. However, this does not work with advancements, sadly. You can try running this script for every unit type, although that is still a lot of work, but at least it's a lot less than changing all the files separately.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Point taken. That bit is within my skill, I guess, but the advances to thing is the issue.
Is there a way to say "Where the string starts with 'advances to' replace '=' with '=AE ' and ',' with ',AE ' "?
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

UnwiseOwl wrote:Point taken. That bit is within my skill, I guess, but the advances to thing is the issue.
Is there a way to say "Where the string starts with 'advances to' replace '=' with '=AE ' and ',' with ',AE ' "?
I have no idea, sorry.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
DerTod

Post by DerTod »

the movement type of the sea states loyalist must be "AE riverman" otherwise no movement is possible
Stickdom

Post by Stickdom »

Just a quick nod to the compiler of the Ageless Era, this is fantastic. i've tested just about every faction in this Era, as i'm a big fan of data collecting, i try to collect info on every unit possible in-game. i also have some suggestions for some minor tweaks to a few of the units/factions, as i have had several instances that i have found them somewhat unbalanced. i'm working on compiling a short list to submit for approval and application. Thanks, keep up the awesome work.

post 2:
Just a few things i've noticed right off the bat:
-Errors:
Arendians: All of the ranged attack animations show a melee animation instead. Also, the Druid attack animation has the unit changing into another unit mid-attack, not sure if this is intentional or not.
-Balancing:
Vampires: All in all, this is a good rendition of a great faction. But, there are a few changes i have seen that im not exactly sure i like, personally. The changes in classes for the Lord/Lady, and the addition of the Succubus. I liked the original Vampire faction (Era Of Chaos version) in that it will produce different units dependant on bloodborn-line gender, but i can also understand wanting control over the unit it will level into, and the Succubus does this well. Also, just an asthetics opinion, the Flesh-Artisan is not nearly so imposing in this faction as it was in the original. Perhaps allowing it to change form, as the original faction Deulist/Lord line did into a bat? (also a recommended addition, although a dog-form would be a neat addition, im keeping with vampire lore), or changing in mid attack, as i mentioned the Druid in Arendians Faction did. possibly in error. Just personal opinion, use it how you wish.

Lavinian Legion: My personal favorite class at the moment, very good balancing, very strong. The only thing it lacks is a healing unit of some type, as the units tend to take quite a bit of damage, and have no way to recuperate without a village nearby. Either adding a weak, healing-specialized unit into the roster, or adding a small heal to an existing unit (The Signifer line would be a great candidate for a +4, cures combo) would be a welcome change to the faction.

-Additions:
Some additions that i believe would make fantastic additions to this Era:
Southerners - (War of Legends Era)
Destroyers - (Era Of Magic)
Age Of Darkness factions - (This era contains the default factions, but each has the addition of many unique units, i suggest adding several, if not all of these factions to Ageless Era)

That's all i have for now, if i come across anything else, i'll be sure to let you know. As always, keep up the great work with this Era. :)
Last edited by Gambit on January 17th, 2013, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged double posts
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

Bug: Statesman Loyalist can't move and has 0% everywhere
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Stickdom wrote: Southerners - (War of Legends Era)
Actually, the Southerners are a remake of the Desert Elves (which is already in Ageless Era). My version of the faction is quite unbalanced compared with the original though. :hmm:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Stickdom

Post by Stickdom »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
Stickdom wrote: Southerners - (War of Legends Era)
Actually, the Southerners are a remake of the Desert Elves (which is already in Ageless Era). My version of the faction is quite unbalanced compared with the original though. :hmm:
I had figured as much, I was just looking forward to using the extra units that were added into the Southerners faction and was looking to have them added in. I am new to the faction/era-creation side of Wesnoth, so I would not know how to do it myself, otherwise I would have asked to already. Still, I'm interested in learning how, so any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. :)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

See the "Create" link at the very top of the page for lots of resources on making new content for the game.
Stickdom

Post by Stickdom »

Thanks a lot. I'm no good with programming yet, but i guess i'll get the hang of it eventually.
victorsena13

Post by victorsena13 »

1- you plan to add more eras?

2- what are "ageless hero era" and "ageless RPG era" ?
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

I am currently not doing anything Wesnoth related which means I am not maintaining AE, but when I glanced at the posts I noticed this:

vultraz wrote:I've always though the AE was in need of a massive code overhaul, seeing as it always, ALWAYS seems to have bugs related to incorrect filenames and such. Not sure I'd want to take it over, though. :hmm:
I agree. When I originally made AE I had exactly zero coding experience. Now I have a good amount more and if I ever do get back into maintaining it I will go through it and change most everything.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Ageless RPG era is only the level 0/level 1 units for use in the game modes like Colosseum.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well