artisticdude's Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Crow_T

Re: artisticdude's Art

Post by Crow_T »

If only indeed! That's a nice looking Spearman, a unit I have grown to like quite a bit as of late :geek:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Thanks. :) The current spearman baseframe really could use a makeover (this was actually the product of a clean-up effort on my part) to better match the rest of Sleepwalker/Jetrel's new loyalists. Sadly, all the spearman's animations are based on the current baseframe, so revamping the unit's graphics would be a pretty massive undertaking. :(
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Oh yeah, the animation part is very labor intensive! Especially considering the current spearman has multiple animations already :hmm: Personally, ditching the idle, wouldn't be a huge loss, but still there are 2 attacks... I wonder how far one could go just touching up all the original animations (which is still a bit of work).
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I hesitated to give my comment here because I had to sort out my impression. As much as I like artisticdude's art I don't really think that the new spearman's sprite is an improvement. I mean the helmet looks slightly better, the shield and the spear tip too but the legs weren't touched at all and together with new torso it started to look like a case of pillow shading. I know that metal is shiny and there is trend recently to give more shiny look to other units (the elves for example) but I think that this spearman still requires some tweaking.
And I really dislike these bits of metal below the belt. They give more monotonous look to the new sprite. I prefer the texture of older sprite.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Hm, I think I have to agree with Mefisto here. Side by side, the new one does look a lot cleaner, but I can't say I like the leg armor and, I'm not sure pillowed is the word I'd use for the torso armor, but it definitely seems to lack depth, to my eyes.

For better or worse, here's an edit I did. :hmm:
Attachments
spearmanedit.png
spearmanedit.png (6.44 KiB) Viewed 6683 times
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Amorphous wrote:For better or worse, here's an edit I did. :hmm:
:o Actually, I really like what you did there. Except for the spear, which looks a bit blunter than before (it may actually be best to keep the original spearhead).

I agree that nixing the metal plates around the waist is a good idea, especially given that the spearman's armor is supposed to be a mixture of leather and metal, I think those plates are unwarranted.

As for the legs... I've been trying for some time now to do something with those legs, but I can't seem to draw a decent pair of legs that match the angle of the torso (most of my sprites face more to the south-east than the spearman does, so this angle is outside my comfort zone). :hmm:
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Last thing I heard Jetrel wants to have another look at the sprites. Don't consider anything I have done as final.

I don't think editing the animations would be too much of a pain, this spearman is an edit not a complete remake. Half of it would be copy-paste work.

Some of what you have done is an improvement. The front of the helmet looked a little pushed into the face so I fiddled with it and some other stuff. *Shrug*
Attachments
spearman tweak.png
spearman tweak.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 6592 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Sleepwalker: for some reason your edit looks like it made the sprite rougher. Intentional, or is it just me?
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Yeah, I went partway back a little to the old breastplate.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Yes, I think this is a very good compromise between old texture and new shading.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Something I did a while back, just fooling around with rhyging5 and Sleepwalker's troll whelp revision. Might be suitable for a campaign-specific character or something.
Attachments
trolly.png
trolly.png (4.66 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I think I prefer yours to rhyging5/Sleepwalker's. :)

One nitpick, there seems to be a glaring highlight on his right (our left) shoulder.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?