Yet another map generator (removed)

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pyrophorus

Re: Yet another map generator (final release candidate)

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Final release candidate is out. See first post to download...

Have fun !
pyrophorus

Re: Yet another map generator (final release)

Post by pyrophorus »

Final release with sources.
Still hoping some feedback...

Happy new year !
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Nice :)
Just being curious, what happened to the plan of including this in the main game?
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
swangdoodles

Post by swangdoodles »

Hi,
I would like to try your map generator...

But I can not run it on either my PPC-MAC or my Ubuntu Linux.

The terminal says:
cannot execute binary file (Linux)
or that it needs a library it can't find (MAC)

In what program language is the generator written? And what dependencies do I need to have installed for it to work?

Ciao,
Swangdoodles
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

swangdoodles wrote:Hi,

The terminal says:

In what program language is the generator written? And what dependencies do I need to have installed for it to work?

Ciao,
Swangdoodles
Too bad...
The Mac version is a PowerPC version only. If you have an Intel Mac, it will not work. Sorry, I haven't an Intel Mac...
It's more strange you couldn't use the Linux version. I have no problem running it in terminal, but I have a 64bits computer. Maybe it's the explanation. Tell me if you have a 32bits machine. Otherwise, you can compile it from sources: as a command line application it's not difficult (and I can even send you the CodeBlocks project if needed).

Friendly,
swangdoodles

Post by swangdoodles »

pyrophorus wrote:
swangdoodles wrote:Hi,

The terminal says:

Ciao,
Swangdoodles
Too bad...
The Mac version is a PowerPC version only. If you have an Intel Mac, it will not work. Sorry, I haven't an Intel Mac...
It's more strange you couldn't use the Linux version. I have no problem running it in terminal, but I have a 64bits computer. Maybe it's the explanation. Tell me if you have a 32bits machine. Otherwise, you can compile it from sources: as a command line application it's not difficult (and I can even send you the CodeBlocks project if needed).

Friendly,
Hmmm, well my MAC is a PowerPC... But the generator does not work because a library is missing. But the MAC is not at my location at this moment, so I cant check the error message.

As to the Linux version. Yes I'm running LUbuntu 32bits. So that explains it.

Compiling the sources on my Linux should be possible. I can download the source from your first post. But I think I would need some more files in order to compile it... Right?

What do I need to do to compile the map generator?

Thanx,
Swangdoodles
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

swangdoodles wrote:As to the Linux version. Yes I'm running LUbuntu 32bits. So that explains it.

Compiling the sources on my Linux should be possible. I can download the source from your first post. But I think I would need some more files in order to compile it... Right?

What do I need to do to compile the map generator?
Nothing more than the sources and a compiler. The program don't need any library (except C++ standard lib) and must be compiled as a command line application.
But thinking more of it, I doubt your problem on Linux come from system version. Did you checked the program's and folder access rights ?

Friendly,
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

64 bit binaries won't run on a 32 bit OS, that's the problem.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Crendgrim wrote:Nice :)
Just being curious, what happened to the plan of including this in the main game?
I am working on the issue.
First it will only be usable from the wml interface,
later the gui might get enhanced so the game creation screen can access it as well.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Traduction française du HowTo pour ceux qui ne comprennent pas l'anglais:
HowToFr.txt.zip
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
pyrophorus

Re: Yet another map generator (multiplayer beta)

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !

Version 1.1beta is now (more) multiplayer aware (I hope...)

What's new ?

1- Setting the seed value to 0 always gave the same map and not a different one each run. It is fixed.
2- The generator accepts a numeric parameter in command line. If used, it creates n different maps in one run, incrementing the original seed by one on each step. Rather handy to quickly select an interesting layout.

3- The generator accepts a new parameter: multiplayer=n.
It's an attempt to create more balanced maps. Using this option, a fixed number of villages is created near each player's castle (and some more away). So, at start, all players will have the same number of villages at hand. The 'burgs' parameter is disabled because it would break this balance. Last, some little keeps (two hexes) can be created near the center of the map, allowing leaders to recruit there. All other options are still there (snow, seasons, land type and so on). Here is an example: each player has five villages on range.
Multi.jpg
I think some tuning can be done here to get better results, it would be great if players could help to do this.

French Howto for 1.1a :
HowToFr.txt.zip
(7.1 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
Have fun !
Last edited by pyrophorus on November 30th, 2013, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pyrophorus

Re: Yet another map generator (multiplayer aware beta)

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Here comes a new version including two new parameters:
patch=x,y,level,size
This allow to force hexes around x,y to layer 'level'. This allows to tune parts of the map (An AI suggestion of old). Here is an example: the original map,
Nopatch.jpg
have been patched with some mountains:
Patch.jpg
The zone is modified at the very beginning of map creation to merge nicely with the surroundings, so of course, this can change roads layout and buildings locations.

More of it,
start=x,y,nplayer
allows to set castles locations, quite anywhere. The generator still forbid to locate them on impassable terrains and water, but it is still possible to workaround using a patch.

These parameters work in both standard and multiplayer modes.

Linux:
Windows:
OSX ppc:

French HowTo
Have fun !
Last edited by pyrophorus on January 17th, 2015, 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
An error slipped into the HowTo: the parameter name "multiplayer" must be changed to "multiplayers" to activate the multiplayers option in the configuration file.
So please fix it or upgrade:
HowTo.txt.zip
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
HowToFr.txt.zip
(7.1 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
Sorry for the inconvenience.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !

You can now find the map generator source code on github here. I fear it will not attract more contributors than earlier, but anyway, they would be welcomed.

There's no executable updates because I mainly reworked the code architecture without adding functionalities. This to prepare further enhancements. I want to thank here all those who tried it. The full download count his about 600 which is much more than I expected. I would only have been glad to get more feedback about it's use.

Now to the future:

The next step will be to add towns creation. This will be a rather large mix of castles and villages. Competitive players will not like it (because balance of course), but I work for fun and good looking maps too.

I am planning about adding the possibility of defining regions, i.e. parts of the map using their own complete parameter set. It would be possible then to have an oasis in a desert, islands with various climates in a large sea and so on. It will improve variety and control on map production. Transitions will not be a piece of cake, but I hope to get a good result anyway.

Certainly too, I will take advantage of new terrains to improve or create if possible new builtin terrains sets. Please note it's already possible to use them defining a custom terrain set using the new terrains in the configuration file. For the braves, it's also possible to edit the YAMG_Terrains-10.h file and compile the program.

Wesnoth integration is still on hold. Part of the problem is developers are busy with others things of course. Another part is they don't like my programming style and think the generator can't be included in Wesnoth as it is. I did my best to make the task easier in this version (at least the WML integration), but... we'll see...

Friendly,
pyrophorus

Yet another map generator (towns)

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Towns are here. They are some flat terrain surrounded with walls and populated with houses and decorations. They can be centered around a standard castle like these two:
Towns-1.jpg
or have a keep on the outer walls, like the two orcish towns in the left.
Towns-2.jpg

Friendly,
Last edited by pyrophorus on January 17th, 2015, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.