Wesnoth 1.11.1

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.11.1

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.11.1 is out!

This is the second release of the 1.11.x development branch. As with normal development releases, it may include many more bugs than stable releases from the 1.10.x series — additionally, 1.10 content might not be compatible with 1.11.x due to many changes in the game engine and WML syntax between both branches.

Don’t be disappointed if the game crashes every now and then — regular players wanting a stable gaming experience should not use this release, and stick to the stable branch instead. However, if you want to test the future of Wesnoth and help us find bugs early, you are welcome to check out 1.11.1. We require your help for finding and fixing issues. If you find a bug, please do not assume that it is so obvious that we already know about it. Report it and make sure that we are aware of it.

This change includes many exciting improvements like for example a stronger, optional AI for skirmish as well as multiplayer games. Besides many crashes and issues were fixed. You can find more about the most noteworthy changes a little further down.

As usual, there is the full changelog listing (almost) all changes since 1.11.0. There’s also an alternative players changelog including only notable, user-visible changes.

Important changes and new features
Multiplayer modifications
Starting with this release, there's a new type of add-on, MP Modification, which allows alterations to the game play independently from eras and scenarios. Additionally, you can have any amount of modifications enabled at a time. You can access installed modifications with the "Modifications" button on the game creation screen. See ModificationWML for details.
Multiplayer option system
Another improvement is the new option system. UMC authors now can have their add-ons display some configuration options on the game creation screen. The settings are translated into WML variables inside the add-on. The options for activated modifications, era or scenario are accessible through the "Options" button on the game creation screen. See OptionWML for details.
Multiplayer dependency system
With a lot of new possibilities for conflicts between add-ons, there's now a dependency system for eras, scenarios and modifications, not to be confused with the already existing dependency management for whole add-ons. See the appopriate sections of EraWML, ScenarioWML and ModificationWML for details.
New AI
There is a new AI available in multiplayer named "Experimental AI". Boasting an 86% win rate over the current RCA AI, it features several improvements over the current default AI, including village grabbing, castle selection, targeted poisoning, and recruitment.
Known Issues (might be fixed in the next release(s))
This is only a list of the most prominent ones, more bugs are known and might eventually be fixed.
  • There is a layering problem with units on bridges (c.f. this screenshot). This will be fixed in 1.11.2.
  • There is still a bug with hotkeys if a user deletes "ctrl+space" and assigns it again. But reassigning works fine. This is only true for the "ctrl+space" combination, space is a special key and needs extra handling. This issue will hopefully be handled soon.
Downloads

Source code:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (338.8 MB) md5sum
Here is the XDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.11.0 to 1.11.1, 12.5 MB)
Check http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for information on using XDelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The Mac OS X package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The OpenPandora package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created, and all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them to work can be found in the Linux binaries page in the wiki. Download links for other supported systems will be available at the download page once the packages are created and published.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ — but you should first try to get the files through SourceForge.net to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from SourceForge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.11.1 is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other users of 1.11.1. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

The add-ons server for 1.11.x is already running. It was started with the release of 1.11.0 and it serves content for all 1.11.x versions. If you encounter any problems with add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author — most of them should be here in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum.

If you find any bugs, don’t hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using the official bug tracker. Again, we require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how trivial or complicated they are!

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don’t do any good, so better not ask them...
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: Wesnoth 1.11.1

Post by Alarantalara »

Due to a typo, I mistakenly uploaded the OS X package without translations. A new copy of the package will be uploaded in a couple hours, so those who use a language other than English while playing will want to wait before downloading.

Edit: The package with translations present is now available from the download page linked above.
Last edited by Alarantalara on December 9th, 2012, 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Update with notice that translations are now available.
Evropi

Post by Evropi »

I love all the work the BfW project is putting out, but there comes a time when you must stop breaking the APIs for content developers. While things like inline SSF make WML more 'predictable', it is a pain in the ass for anyone used to older, more carefree WML. I really hope that you'll make all the required changes this version or just keep in older WML and only introduce new features without deprecating older ones (like the Linux kernel). So get together a design document and finish off BfW's implementation of scripting.

It feels like Python's restrictive syntax; scripting in Ruby or Perl feels liberating for that reason, and you should at least allow people to just type in [gold] if they want - as they always have. The worst thing you could do is deprecate older syntax. I should have posted this in the previous thread, but it's too late now I guess.

Sorry, I could not hold back on the criticism. It's been too long you've been making changes to the API now, and I'm sure they are as irritating to content developers as they are to the main development team that works on mainline campaigns. That said, I really enjoy the game and my gaming clan is still creating funny little scenarios for internal use! :mrgreen:
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Starting with this release, there's a new type of add-on, MP Modification, which allows alterations to the game play independently from eras and scenarios. Additionally, you can have any amount of modifications enabled at a time. You can access installed modifications with the "Modifications" button on the game creation screen. See ModificationWML for details.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

It seems like the release announcement on the Home page has become a form notice. Since this is the case, this sentence has improper grammar and should be fixed to avoid future embarrassment:
Announcement wrote:"Please keep in mind that it is a development release which might include quite many bugs."
If I might suggest a suitable replacement:

"Please keep in mind that this is a development release which might include quite a few bugs."
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Insinuator wrote:It seems like the release announcement on the Home page has become a form notice. Since this is the case, this sentence has improper grammar and should be fixed to avoid future embarrassment:
Announcement wrote:"Please keep in mind that it is a development release which might include quite many bugs."
If I might suggest a suitable replacement:

"Please keep in mind that this is a development release which might include quite a few bugs."
Development releases are by definition unfinished and *will* have missing functionality, code errors, graphics glitches, fewer and broken campaigns and add-ons, etc. So i think the statement should be a lot stronger than suggested. The statement in forum post at the beginning of this topic seems more appropriate.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I'm not trying to change the tone of the message, only the poor grammar. If the announcer wants to change that, it is up to him. Separate issue.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

If you want to keep the tone, why change the number of bugs? A more meaning-preserving rewrite would be: "Please keep in mind that it is a development release which might include many bugs."

(Not that I see using "quite" as being grammatically incorrect. It does look odd to me, but not necessarily incorrect.)
NoQ

Post by NoQ »

Found the "Moving units to a selected hex field" feature to be slightly annoying, because i often misclick :oops: and it's not always possible to undo the results of such misclicks :hmm:
The Flight of Drakes, Only Death Behind, ??? (not yet sure how the third part will be called).
l3h3l

Post by l3h3l »

The new Al named "Experimental AI" doesn't work, give a lot of errors. If you need a screenshot i will upload one, to see which error message show up.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hey guys, when testing some changed win and loss conditions I came across what I believe to be an unintended message.
On loading a saved game in which all the player's units have already moved and immediately ending the turn, I am given the "You have not moved anything, are you sure you want to end your turn" message. I don't think that previous versions did this.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

l3h3l wrote:The new Al named "Experimental AI" doesn't work, give a lot of errors. If you need a screenshot i will upload one, to see which error message show up.
No need, the problem has already been fixed for the next release. See http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38021 for more details and how to work around the problem.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

UnwiseOwl wrote:On loading a saved game in which all the player's units have already moved and immediately ending the turn, I am given the "You have not moved anything, are you sure you want to end your turn" message.
On the one hand, that was intentional, albeit the motivation was for players gaining control of a side in multiplayer, rather than loading a save. On the other hand, a different issue came up, and this message will no longer appear for such saves made under 1.11.2 (whenever that comes out).
DMB

Post by DMB »

Hey guys, I just wanted to say great work on the new release. My hat off to whoever did the artwork for Eastern Invasion, I just played through that campain on the hardest difficulty and it was a bit better than I remember it, especially with the magnificent artwork. I too have gotten the "You have not moved any of your units. Do you want to end your turn?" message but it's not really an issue, and only pops up sometimes. And just a minor thing, I think I liked the old Specter sprite better, but that may just be nostalgia or whatever. Its new attack animation is great of course. As far as bugs and crashes go I havent had any, so hats off there. And the new AI is a bit more tactical, I like that. They're not nearly as exploitable or suicidal this time around.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I have problems with 1.11.1
The recall list of one human controlled side keeps empty.
Related Thread
I have no recall list problems working with BfW 1.8, 1.10 or 1.11.0
But with BfW version 1.11.1 I have a problem.
Why?
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR