Royal Rumble

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Royal Rumble

Post by Ravana »

(1) What map version did you play(both version number and map name)?

(2) How clear did you find the starting messages/objectives?

(3) How fun do you think the map is? (1-10)

(4) What era did you use?

(5) Any bugs, errors, suggestions or spelling mistakes?
Urx

Re: Royal Rumble

Post by Urx »

Royal rumble really caught me. The message and the goal were clear enough - take down the tyrant. The mission is made in really enjoyable manner as Huric stays behind the walls shouts at our hero, he shouts at him back and another answer he gets are heavy guards marching out of the gates. What is unfortunately totally disappointing is the game balance - I tried to hold back as the generals were into themselves leaving me relatively safe, after the mad general's brave au revoir all remaining forces focused on me. The only reasonable tactic was to take down the second general with attack dogs while rest of the army will push the front. After this Huric came out with those heavy mace arms and that was my doom, I could not afford to hold another line with such a small force against such a brute opponent. I dare to say I have quite the experience with wesnoth and this simply was not expectable from normal level scenario or even hard scenario. After I fixed starting gold of mine, the two generals and the mad one I also made some veterans and seeresses able to recruit. Now it was playable..until Huric came out again - I fell back using opponent's slow movement to rest and heal and to lure him on worse terrain. Well, meantime Huric occupied a castle and started to send one wave of soldiers after another. I turned off the PC after the forth wave ending up pissed off :). I guess it needs to balance even Huric's starting gold and income.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

This thread is for this Royal Rumble not this.
Hex

Post by Hex »

I played royal rumble, tournament Ims What the hell is a Ims?

First round was divided, but second and last round were not, which gave a huge advantage to first move players. recruit around them but leave one spot to attack yourself? No problem! We accommodate any and all first move advantages here at the tournament inn, I mean ims.

Besides dividing up the latter areas, start positions should be slightly further apart. That way one can recruit units in front of them, and not have the enemy walk around their ZoC, unless fast.

Berserker ability is too powerful, ulfs should be disabled or something.

Recruits and gold amounts should follow you into the next round IMO. As it is now, abilities like Midas touch are stupidly pointless most of the time.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Hex wrote:I played royal rumble, tournament Ims What the hell is a Ims?
My personal mark to track amount of games played with scenarios i have uploaded.
First round was divided, but second and last round were not, which gave a huge advantage to first move players. recruit around them but leave one spot to attack yourself? No problem! We accommodate any and all first move advantages here at the tournament inn, I mean ims.
That gives you reason to not delay game.
Besides dividing up the latter areas, start positions should be slightly further apart. That way one can recruit units in front of them, and not have the enemy walk around their ZoC, unless fast.

Berserker ability is too powerful, ulfs should be disabled or something.

Recruits and gold amounts should follow you into the next round IMO. As it is now, abilities like Midas touch are stupidly pointless most of the time.
I dont plan to make that large changes from original version. Also noone said you must use default era, i even added some code parts to add improvements no matter what era you use.

However you are welcome to create your own version that suits you best.
Hex

Post by Hex »

Not to delay game? I don't know what you are saying here.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

When both pick regen and use weak attacks then winner has time to get a lot xp for upgrades, and that makes other players need to wait.
Hex

Post by Hex »

It is absurd to have matches decided by the order people entered the game. That makes the game decided by dice roll or host changing peoples order.
So you exercise your right to not fix your crap map, congratz.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

You can simply host game with random start positions.
Hex

Post by Hex »

How is the winner decided by complete chance any better?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Winner is not decided by chance, items you choose matter as well. Then it also depends on what you recruit and what faction you choose.

If you still find 8p map too random then play 6p, there you have more options who to attack.
Hex

Post by Hex »

I explained this already, I most likely won't explain it again because if you don't get it, I can't see any other way to explain it.

The ability to attack someone before they can recruit is too powerful, surrounding them with recruits of your own to block off all access by their own recruits is near a certain win. Especially with ulfs. There is no way a player can survive 3 ulf attacks plus two level 2 attacks, no matter their leader or choice of bonus.

I see no reason not to partition first turn of combat like you do of the first round, with the next two rounds.

You must not play your own map much to fail to see this to such a degree.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I assume you mean by ulf unit that attacks 30 times per turn.
Usually these kind of units are expensive enough you can only get 1, or with gold bonus 2. That means it is irrelevant if leader can survive 3 of these units or not. If player 1 has had enough time to get that much gold before fighting starts then it is normal that he has advantage.
I did not change anything in terrain changes so it clearly was intended that way.

But with which map and when it is possible to attack before other has chance to do anything?

Yes, i have not played wesnoth since august, not enough time for that with school.

Still that problem can only exist in 8p version, you can change event that removes walls to be 1 turn later if you wish and in 6p there is no problem with that.
kBunz

Post by kBunz »

I'll just drop something here anyone ever thought of a rr era where the only advancement path for the dark mage is necromancer and dwarves have no fighters? because seriously 90% of the match are won by either lich or dwarf lord (assuming dwarf or undead are in it) and when they don't the player is either *really* bad or *really* unlucky.

lich maybe not as much, at least it takes some work to get it there* but dwarf fighters in the arena are sort of an insta-win button and above any other unit, it doesnt even take effort to level them.

(*unless you have a dark mage leader from the start)
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I personally support ageless era for my scenarios.
Dwarf gets -x% hp at start for leader. I once tried to make dwarf units have lower resists on that map but I got negative feedback about that change.
For lich you can just tell players that they must choose other advancement for their dark mages.