Wesnoth Browser-Based RPG

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheScribe

Re: Wesnoth Browser-Based RPG

Post by TheScribe »

Dixie wrote:Maybe I am mistaken and you have played it, but it certainly doesn't appear that way...
Glorfindal wrote:I have played Wesnoth for a long time now, since 2008
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Glorfindal

Post by Glorfindal »

8680 wrote:
Glorfindal wrote:... does Healthy only apply to Dwarves?
Yes, and only elves can have dextrous.
Thanks. Added
Seriously, I think you should really play the game a bit before going into this project. Play a few campaigns. You'll have a better understanding of the setting and a better feel for the game that way. Why make a game based on another one if you don't even appreciate it enough to play it, anyway? Maybe I am mistaken and you have played it, but it certainly doesn't appear that way...
I have played on and off since 2008. I usually played multiplayer games and add-ons. I also created my own units a few times. However, I was never as good off a artist as a programmer so I never really finished them. I have actually recently been playing the campaigns (Heir to the Throne and An Orcish Incursion) but I am only on third scenario on them right now.
Try to quote at least the entire sentence...
[sarcasm]I like your introduction. You are a developer and a new person to post in this thread and you give no opinion on the overall idea.[/sarcasm]

As for the sentence I just didn't see it. I saw Estmark Hills and then Weldyn in bold right below it and thought they were seperate.

However, out of all these posts no one has really answered my question about what people thought of UI and images for it and if anyone is interested in either making an arrow icon or a City Gate image.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Have you looked through Wesnoth’s images?

Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Glorfindal

Post by Glorfindal »

Yeah I have if you look the icons on the previous page where I showed the screenshot are from wesnoth. I right-clicked Wesnoth on my Mac and hit "show package contents" This then displayed all the core files and Wesnoth Images. I got those icons from there. However, there was none for an arrow (not like this kind of arrow: ->) but simply like a bow and arrow arrow.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Do the bow and arrow icons in ancestral's post not fit your needs?
Glorfindal

Post by Glorfindal »

They are too big I need 25 * 25 icons.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Do they have to be 25 x 25? You can’t use larger ones?

Or you could scale them down. (You can even do this on the fly in the browser.)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Glorfindal

Post by Glorfindal »

Look at the ones in my screenshot I had scale those down from 33 to 25 and it distorted them slightly. 25 is the biggest I can go, any bigger and the icon will be bigger than the text itself. Plus those images are from Wesnoth. If I scale down a 60*60 image it will distort a lot.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Glorfindal wrote:Look at the ones in my screenshot I had scale those down from 33 to 25 and it distorted them slightly. 25 is the biggest I can go, any bigger and the icon will be bigger than the text itself. Plus those images are from Wesnoth. If I scale down a 60*60 image it will distort a lot.
The distortion mostly comes from the non-integer scaling factor. The main concern with scaling down is losing important details.
We don't have any smaller images in wesnoth, so I'd suggest you try opengameart.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Glorfindal wrote:Look at the ones in my screenshot I had scale those down from 33 to 25 and it distorted them slightly. 25 is the biggest I can go, any bigger and the icon will be bigger than the text itself. Plus those images are from Wesnoth. If I scale down a 60*60 image it will distort a lot.
Nonsense,
25x25.png
^ it's looks perhaps even better than at full size, & no detail relevant to recognizing it as bow-and-arrow is lost. Note that the wesnoth attack icons proper are actually 50x50 pixels (the frame around them (identical for all attack icons - where it's not identical, a mistake has been made) should obviously be on a separate image; afaik the only reason the frame hasnt been separated from the attack icons is that noone has bothered to get around to it).
AI wrote:The distortion mostly comes from the non-integer scaling factor.
with any good reconstruction filter a non-integer scaling factor wont give worse results than an integer scaling factor...
Glorfindal

Post by Glorfindal »

Okay well it looks good. I will probably run the rest through GIMP and scale them down as well.

What did you guys think of the User Interface? Do you think there should be any changes?
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

Glorfindal wrote:I don't really need programming at the moment. I can do that myself.
Just posting to tell you that _this_ is the best thing that ever can happen :) Most game projects die because the "leader" doesn't program. (Have you read the attract artitsts sticky?)
-- ^ --