Wesnoth Browser-Based RPG

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glorfindal

Wesnoth Browser-Based RPG

Post by Glorfindal »

I have played Wesnoth for a long time now, since 2008. I had a forum account before, but I kind of disappeared and so I decided to start fresh.

I've been working on a Browser-Based RPG Game Engine for several years and while I originally planned to use it for my own game I have been thinking creating a Wesnoth Browser-Based RPG. Obviously it would require a lot of work and changes to the Engine but I would really still like to do this. However, Wesnoth is radically different from a RPG. So I'd like some ideas on how make this work (obviously somethings would have to be changed) but still keep the Wesnoth feel. I do not know much of the Wesnoth history (I usually just played for fun in the past) so I would be interested in taking on someone who does.

The biggest potential problem I see is leveling up. In Wesnoth when a unit goes from level one to level two they become a different unit. I need to keep this feature in the game or it doesn't feel like Wesnoth. However, if I do it's way too fast. Any ideas on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

I also read somewhere that Weldyn is the capital of Wesnoth so I made that the spawning point.

Also I plan to release the Engine as open source when I get the first version of the game released.

Attached are a couple screenshots of the engine. Right now it's running kind of half wesnoth and half the older game I was developing.
Attachments
Hunting Grounds, made up place along the river south of Weldyn
Hunting Grounds, made up place along the river south of Weldyn
Weldyn
Weldyn
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth Browser-Based RPG

Post by ancestral »

Looks like it could be pretty fun! I'm curious to see how this turns out. Keep it up!

Also, feel free to check out my Canvas project, a map viewer (and possibly a web client someday). I'm in the process of rewriting parts of it, but take whatever you like (MIT license).
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Glorfindal

Post by Glorfindal »

Thanks. I took a look at your canvas project. Looks pretty interesting. I am looking for developers so if you would like to help that would be great. I don't really need programming at the moment. I can do that myself. What I really want are artists and creative people. I need someone to come up with ideas for content and quests that fit with Wesnoth.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

looking at the screenshots, is it one of those games with almost no mechanics at all, that is only about clicking a button to increase some measure of manliness as expressed by numbers? Kingdom of Loathing was nice because it was very well&consistently written, and illustrated to match the writing very well - it isn't a good "game" but it also doesn't have to be since deep down it's closer to a webcomic than to a regular video game like wesnoth; but if you don't have any similarly good content - and you speak as if you don't, and it certainly looks that way from the screenshots - then why would someone play it?
Glorfindal

Post by Glorfindal »

it isn't a good "game"
That's an opinion. It seems to me that you just don't like Browser-Based games.
then why would someone play it?
They would play it because it is based on a game and in a world they already know. It's also browser-based so that means you could even play it on your phone or on a Library computer.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

The biggest potential problem I see is leveling up. In Wesnoth when a unit goes from level one to level two they become a different unit. I need to keep this feature in the game or it doesn't feel like Wesnoth. However, if I do it's way too fast. Any ideas on doing this would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not familiar with mechanics of this genre, but the obvious solution is to "strech" each unit level in BfW to several character levels in your game. For example a player would start as a level 1 Orcish Grunt, advance 10 levels while still being an Orcish Grunt, then on level 11 he would become an Orcish Warrior etc. (Adjust number as you wish). The problem with this solution might be how to separate the "name change level" from a normal level up. Some ideas how to do that:
  • Branching - the player would choose between two paths, each enabling different skills, just like some Wesnoth units do. This depends on how many starting classes/races you want - not all Wesnoth units branch, so you would have to make up some advanced class names yourself, or combine this idead with ideas below.
  • Different stat progression - let's say your character gains +X health/+Y melee attack/+Z ranged attack per level. At the "name change level" this progression would change (say to +2X/+2Y/+2Z). This way even without branhing the change of class might be more pronounced than an average level up. It can also be nicely combined with branching - each branch would get different progression (e.g Elvish Sharpshooter get +1,5X/+1,5Y/+2Z, while Elvish Ranger gets +2X/+2Y/+1,5Y).
  • Quests - the change to an advanced class might require completion of some task (e.g. a Dwarwish Thunderguard would have to kill a dragon to become a Dwarvish Dragonguard, a Dark Sorcerer would have to undergo some ritual suicide to become a Lich, etc.). This has a potential balance issue in that it require the various promotion quests to be of same difficulty, otherwise some classes/races are punished more than others. If you want to use this solution, I advise to combine it some of the ideas above, so the players don't do extra quests just for a regular level up.
I also read somewhere that Weldyn is the capital of Wesnoth so I made that the spawning point.
Yes, it's the capital of Wesnoth. That said Wesnoth is just a human kingdom. The other races have their own nations (or sometimes no nation at all), so they might have different staring areas. That said, I'm not sure how your game is supposed to work, so different starting areas might not be worth the trouble with making them.
Also I plan to release the Engine as open source when I get the first version of the game released.
Is the game going to be for free or paid? AFAIK, you can make it both GPL compatible and sold for money (and it's legal), but if it's for free, I might try it. (I don't have money to waste on games. No offense to your skills intended.)
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

About the level thing:

Either gain traditional levels but allow class changes (i.e.: Wesnoth level ups) at certain levels/when certain objectives are met (carry a certain item, do a certain quest, hold a certain position, etc.)

OR

Just take a more open character development model such as seen in white wolf games, that is ditch the level aspect entirely to let player spec their characters as they like, except for the wesnoth levelling scheme, which can be achieved with exp, with certain goals as with the above mentionned class thing or both.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Glorfindal

Post by Glorfindal »

Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking about something like that. I am currently working on the "New Character" screen. I will be posting a screenshot or two soon. I have only been doing the Alignment Nuetral and Lawful units because I feel they would be the most appropriate to spawn in Weldyn. I might eventually add the option to play Chaotic units but then I will have to create a separate starting city.

I am working on making the following playable:

Elves
  • Archer
  • Fighter
Dwarves
  • Scout
  • Fighter
  • Guardsman
Humans
  • Bowman
  • Spearman
  • Fencer
I also want to get your guys opinions on the Hunting Grounds. When I mentioned it before no one seemed bothered. If you didn't read my earlier post the Hunting Grounds is a place I made up. It is Located south of Weldyn along the River Weldyn. I plan for it to be starting dungeon where you will encounter a Goblin Spearman that you will have to kill in the tutorial quest. It will also lead to the Dulatus Hills which will be a later dungeon. So what do you think about the Hunting Grounds? Do you think it is too much of a stretch for Wesnoth or do you think it would be fine?

Also I am really struggling to find information and history on Wesnoth. If anyone knows of any places with it they could link me too that would be great.

I want to make this game the best that it can be for the Wesnoth community so if anyone else has ideas don't hesitate to post them :)
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Also I am really struggling to find information and history on Wesnoth. If anyone knows of any places with it they could link me too that would be great.
Try Wenoth's wiki (some of its info might be outdated, but it should be enough for a good start). Also look into the campaigns - even if you don't want to play them, you can open their .cfg files in a text editor (and some of them may also be recapped on the wiki I linked).
I also want to get your guys opinions on the Hunting Grounds. When I mentioned it before no one seemed bothered. If you didn't read my earlier post the Hunting Grounds is a place I made up. It is Located south of Weldyn along the River Weldyn. I plan for it to be starting dungeon where you will encounter a Goblin Spearman that you will have to kill in the tutorial quest. It will also lead to the Dulatus Hills which will be a later dungeon. So what do you think about the Hunting Grounds? Do you think it is too much of a stretch for Wesnoth or do you think it would be fine?
Well, the picture only showed the area and hinted that there might be monsters, but wasn't specific, so there wasn't much to comment. That said, I don't think that a low level dungeon near the capital city is too much strech. The Wesnoth campaign alredy work on logic of "Konrad and Delfador were walking on a road and there were Orcs on the road. Kill the Orcs!" and I guess low level dungeons near the staring locations are necessary for the RPG genre. I'm more interested in how the trading will work. IIRC in most RPGs the further you progress, the better items are provided in local shops, which often results in a desert encampment providing better equipment than a capital city. Given that this game is supposed to start in a capital city, I wonder if it will use the system mentioned or if all items will be provided in Weldyn.
I am working on making the following playable:
I noticed that there are no magic classes (Human Mage, Elvish Shaman, etc) among your proposed classes. Is it just a coincidence, or is there some storyline or gameplay reason?
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Telchin pointed out the wiki, so here are some specific wiki links that might help you.

Beware of spoilers in these links:
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Timeline_of_Wesnoth
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Geography_of_Wesnoth
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/CharactersStorys
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/CampaignDialogue
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/MainlineCampaigns

Hope these help. :)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Glorfindal

Post by Glorfindal »

Thanks for the links I was looking at the Geography of Wesnoth and I noticed something
Weldyn, has at various times been settled by Wesnothians, but the Kingdom's control is tenuous at best and banditry is common.
This seems to imply the city isn't very advanced? Yet it is the capital. I was thinking then maybe the intro quest will be to defeat one of the bandits in the Hunting Grounds. This could be followed by going to their base in the Datalus hills and blowing it up.

Regarding the Magic Classes I don't have any yet because they mostly use a different game mechanic and the old game I was working on Combat's Engine only worked for calculating melee and ranged. I will probably implement Magic classes around the time I implement chaotic classes. However, there will be a healer in the city who will be a retired Elven Shaman and heal you for a fee.
Glorfindal

Post by Glorfindal »

Sorry for the double post however I have done some more and so I want to post it here.

I looked over the list of possible traits in Wesnoth and picked the ones that will be available in game. I was confused though does Healthy only apply to Dwarves? Because the way they wrote the description for it seemed to have implied so. I had to modify a few as well so tell me what you think.
Intelligent
20% Less Expierience Required to Level
Resilient
4 Extra Base HP
Gains 1 Extra HP on Level
Strong
1 Extra Base HP
1 Extra Melee Damage
Dextrous
1 Extra Ranged Damage
Healthy (Dwarves Only)
1 Extra Base HP
Gains 1 Extra HP on Level
Quarter less Damage taken from Poison
Loyal
20% Discount at Shops
I plan to stick with the current User Interface structure that I have now but I have been struggling to find/create good Wesnoth style backgrounds and colors. I just created a parchment looking background applied to the game as a test. I also went into the Application Package for Wesnoth on my Mac and found some pretty cool item icons which I decided to use for the bow and sword tell me what you think. Here is a screenshot below.
HoW-Screenshot3.png
If anyone is willing to help with this project there are a few things I am in need of at the moment.
  • An image drawn in the Wesnoth Style that resembles city gates which will lead to the Hunting Grounds. (100 * 100)
  • An image for the arrow that looks similar to the bow and sword icons (25 * 25)
  • An improved description for Weldyn (Should mention something about bandits attacking?)
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Glorfindal wrote:... does Healthy only apply to Dwarves?
Yes, and only elves can have dextrous.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Seriously, I think you should really play the game a bit before going into this project. Play a few campaigns. You'll have a better understanding of the setting and a better feel for the game that way. Why make a game based on another one if you don't even appreciate it enough to play it, anyway? Maybe I am mistaken and you have played it, but it certainly doesn't appear that way...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Glorfindal wrote:Thanks for the links I was looking at the Geography of Wesnoth and I noticed something
Weldyn, has at various times been settled by Wesnothians, but the Kingdom's control is tenuous at best and banditry is common.
This seems to imply the city isn't very advanced? Yet it is the capital. I was thinking then maybe the intro quest will be to defeat one of the bandits in the Hunting Grounds. This could be followed by going to their base in the Datalus hills and blowing it up.
Try to quote at least the entire sentence...
wiki wrote:Estmark Hills: Largish range rising south of the Great River and east of the Weldyn River. The northernmost portion, nearest the River Weldyn, has at various times been settled by Wesnothians, but the Kingdom's control is tenuous at best and banditry is common.