Crow's Artwork *Wizard and Orc Lieutenant

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Crow_T

Crow's Artwork *Wizard and Orc Lieutenant

Post by Crow_T »

I'm sure this has been done before, but here is a golem base sprite- the plan is that almost every terrain type will be able to produce a terrain-specific golem by a summoner. Some details:
Summoner is an unknown race type, they work for the highest bidder, not out of greed, but the need to live and eat, so these can be used anywhere by anyone. Also, if the summoner dies, the golems become a 3rd enemy, attacking anyone (code to come ;) ). The most basic attack for the golem is an impact fist, but they also have terrain-resurrected-specific special attacks. I think it has potential as a pretty fun unit.
Attachments
golem_5.png
golem_5.png (2.96 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
Last edited by Crow_T on September 17th, 2013, 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Speedbrain

Re: "new" unit idea: golem

Post by Speedbrain »

Sounds cool. If you had a snow or water based one, the attack could be a cold attack.

Just out of curiosity, did you make that sprite or get it from somewhere. It looks really good.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Thanks for the reply Speedbrain, believe me there are cool special attacks in the works! :geek: I appreciate the comments on the artwork, I basically used an ogre as a base for proportions and went in my own way from there- the ogre is gone at this point, but it was a great starting guide.

Also, the higher level a summoner gets, the more diverse golems s/he will be able to recruit. So L3 summoner, which will be tough to get, will be able to recruit super awesome golem types.
Lord_Kata

Post by Lord_Kata »

Dude, this unit rocks! :D Is it OK if I use this for a campaign I'm currently working on?
Lord Kata

Coder, Roller coaster enthusiast, king of the world...
I'm looking to hire artists for my campaign. If interested, please PM me.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Yeah Lord_Kata, go for it! I made him in grayscale so if you want to colorize him feel free to do so.

Edit, I worked on his belly a little, c&c welcome.
Attachments
golem_6.png
golem_6.png (3 KiB) Viewed 7034 times
Lord_Kata

Post by Lord_Kata »

Thanks! Is there an attack that this guy has?
Lord Kata

Coder, Roller coaster enthusiast, king of the world...
I'm looking to hire artists for my campaign. If interested, please PM me.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Have a look at Rise of The Elementalist add-on to compare with some rock and mud and water and wind and fire elementals. Those are not the same as golems of course, so i am not sure terrain elements are the key to golems. IIRC, golems in other mythology are constructs made by mages or shamans in some sort of rituals. I have read about about golems made of straw, various metals, wood, stone, flesh or almost any substance(s) that can be bound and animated. They are usually most vulnerable to magic and quite resistant to physical attacks. You characterise your golems as "summoned" which means they may pre-exist in some form in Wesnoth or a connected realm, so i am interested in more of their background and the summoners story too, if you can elaborate :)
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Lord_Kata, atm not yet, there is no unit.cfg or animation for this guy yet, feel free to make one- I suggest just doing impact attack, and use tr0ll's resistances as a guide- but, since they will be diverse, physical attacks can be strong, depending on the type (impact vs a stone golem will be strong for instance).

@tr0ll, thanks for the input, I'm not a fan of the term summoner, but it may have to do- I was thinking L1 is a Caller, L2 is a Summoner, L3 is a Whisperer. Maybe L1 could be a ?, I'm drawing a blank atm, L2 could be an Animator, L3 could be a Whisperer (I like that term, the L3 golems will be highly advanced). So far I have 11 golems planned, as the Caller unit advances it will be able to recruit more powerful/diverse ones. There are some good ideas for abilities on the RotE page, some things I hadn't thought of.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the Caller unit specifics atm, today I am going to try to get some concept sketches done and go from there.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Since they're a mix of construction and magic, how about "builder" for the L1 caller?
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Gun, thanks for the suggestion, it made me think- how about Golem Crafter? This implies the unit is still a bit naive. Hmm maybe L2 is an incanter, if that's a word :geek:
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Crafter sounds good :D

Enchanter for L2? That's the usual word for incanter anyway.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

An update, c&c welcome. Also a quick colored variant.
Attachments
mud_golem.png
mud_golem.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 6748 times
golem2.png
golem2.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 6748 times
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Interesting idea! Both of these look pretty good, except the palettes could use some hue shifting. On a more minor note, there are a lot of semi-transparent pixels - not sure if they would look good in-game. :hmm:
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Yeah, they could use some cleaning up in regard to transparency- I wish gimp had a proper pencil eraser, and did 100% erasing :geek: Is the form OK though? I really want to have a good base to start from. Thanks

Also, please explain "hue shifting."
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

tr0ll wrote:i am not sure terrain elements are the key to golems. IIRC, golems in other mythology are constructs made by mages or shamans in some sort of rituals. I have read about about golems made of straw, various metals, wood, stone, flesh or almost any substance(s) that can be bound and animated. They are usually most vulnerable to magic and quite resistant to physical attacks. You characterise your golems as "summoned" which means they may pre-exist in some form in Wesnoth or a connected realm, so i am interested in more of their background and the summoners story too, if you can elaborate :)
I think summoned does not need to mean that. One could summon an "earth golem" by taking a patch of ground, molding it, and animating it. The golem didn't pre-exist anywhere (though the materials of its body did), yet it can still be understood as a summoning. Not quite the same as a normal summoning, but it still makes sense to use the word.
Crow_T wrote:I wish gimp had a proper pencil eraser, and did 100% erasing
I think it can... somehow... but I can't remember how...
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.