U.S. General Elections - Tuesday, November 6

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

U.S. General Elections - Tuesday, November 6

Post by ancestral »

U.S. General Elections are held today, Tuesday, November 6.

If you haven’t yet registered to vote, in some states you may still be able to register at the polls with some basic proof of residence. (Are you scheduled to work today? By law, your employer must allow you ample time to vote.)

Many people are aware of the big races, but often justices, councilmembers, and other officials are also running at the state and local levels. Some states also have very important referenda on the ballot. If you do not know who or what to vote for, or need help to make an informed decision, there are resources available online. One place you might start with is Vote 411 which has a very well done (and mobile-friendly!) web site/app that will let you choose your candidates beforehand.

There are many nations where citizens do not get to choose their leaders. Your vote can make a difference. For those who are eligible, hey, make your voice heard — exercise your right to vote today.

(It should go without saying, but politics can be a very touchy subject. If replying in this thread, please be courteous to and respectful of others. Opinions are just that, but remember ultimately we’re all entitled to form our own.)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
tr0ll

Re: U.S. General Elections - Tuesday, November 6

Post by tr0ll »

Thanks for highlighting this, although you'd have to be living in the earth's gut not know about it in USA.
What is "ample time"? I've never gotten time off work to vote. Good luck getting keeping your job if you dont show up and the boss knows you're going to vote for the one they dont like.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

tr0ll wrote:What is "ample time"? I've never gotten time off work to vote. Good luck getting keeping your job if you dont show up and the boss knows you're going to vote for the one they dont like.
Reasonable time to get to the polls, vote, and get back. Often you can vote before or after work, but if for example you've informed your management you'll be voting in the morning, and it takes longer than expected, having to wait in line and such, you should not be penalized. Obviously it's open to interpretation, but any large employer should not want to test the legal system on this. If an employer refuses to give time to a worker to vote, I'm sure they could be sued.

It's not a whole lot different from being given jury duty — your employer is required to comply — with the exception that there are many more exemptions available for jury duty, of course.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

If you are a U.S. citizen, please vote.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

It's all about Ohio and Wisconsin, anyway, it's hardly the "U.S." elections :P
I'll never understand this system. What's the point of voting in solid states, if everything depends on a couple of swing states and everyone else doesn't matter?
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Just because your vote will not change the outcome of your state's choice of President doesn't mean you shouldn't vote.
I live in Utah, which always votes for the Republican for President.
However, there are a lot of contested races for which I voted today. We have a senator that has been in for decades that is up for reelection and a hotly contested House of Representatives race.

So, sure, my vote is only a drop in the ocean of overall votes. But it is my right and my duty to still vote for the people I think will represent me the best.

Also, sometimes the "solid states" are not as solid as people think and can change over time.
*steps off soapbox*
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

USsies, go vote today!

And from tomorrow, PLEASE work over your (election) system. thx
I have a cunning plan.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Dunno wrote:It's all about Ohio and Wisconsin, anyway, it's hardly the "U.S." elections :P
I'll never understand this system. What's the point of voting in solid states, if everything depends on a couple of swing states and everyone else doesn't matter?
State and local elections can matter. Referenda as well.

Case in point: Minnesota. Aside from the presidential race, we have two referenda on the ballot which could impact people profoundly. The first, the Minnesota Marriage Amendment asks if marriage should be recognized as only the union between a man and a woman. The second, Photo ID Voter Requirement asks if Photo ID is required by all voters in order to vote.

Also, there can be close local, state, and Congressional races. In 2008, Norm Coleman and Al Franken were two major party candidates (also in Minnesota) that had vote totals so close it resulted in a recount. It ended up being a difference of around 300 votes.

Other states have had close races before, and there's nothing that says there might not be a close race this year.
Last edited by ancestral on November 8th, 2012, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I meant the presidential election, sorry I didn't precise. I myself support voting whenever possible, but it's a bit different in Poland and, I think, every democracy other than american. Because my vote, although of very tiny impact, is counted in a vast number of same, tiny votes. That can't be said about presidential elections in solid states... this system is faulty and outdated, and should be changed, imho.
However, there's one thing I envy America: the speech and attitude of Romney. He lost the election, but, contrary to Polish politician who recently lost presidential election as well, he doesn't look for excuses and proposes cooperation instead... :wink:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Well, if there is only one (vast) number, I guess it's not possible that someone with less votes is elected (as I understand that's possible in the US and has happened). I'm not sure what you mean with 'solid states' and what should be changed into what.

About the cooperation: let's see how that stands in the upcoming years and how much influence Romney actually will have on that...
I have a cunning plan.
lipk

Post by lipk »

However, there's one thing I envy America: the speech and attitude of Romney. He lost the election, but, contrary to Polish politician who recently lost presidential election as well, he doesn't look for excuses and proposes cooperation instead...
QFT. Hungarians have an unsympathetic habit to disdain Americans as fat, stupid, aggressive people, but guys like Romney show that we could still learn a lot from the US. I wish we had similarly mature politicians here.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@Dunno
I think, every democracy other than american. Because my vote, although of very tiny impact, is counted in a vast number of same, tiny votes. That can't be said about presidential elections in solid states... this system is faulty and outdated, and should be changed, imho.
I don't know much about american constitution, but I believe that changing it is hard even when compared to constitutions of other countries, which is probably the reason they still use this ystem (someone from the USA may corect me). Speaking of presidents and constituonal changes, the Czech Republic had a recent change in selecting the president. The previous ones were elected by the parliament, but the next one will be elected directly. I'm not exactly happy about it , as I fear that it will be needless waste of money and time. IIRC Poland has direct presidential election, what are your experiences?
@ancestral
The first, the Minnesota Marriage Amendment asks if marriage should be recognized as only the union between a man and a woman.
Here in the Czech Republic our legislators avoided the issue whether same-sex marriage is a marriage by introducing "registered partnership". It doesn't provide equal rights as actual marriage (for example they can't adopt children :augh: ), but I guess it's better than nothing.
@nuorc
Well, if there is only one (vast) number, I guess it's not possible that someone with less votes is elected (as I understand that's possible in the US and has happened).
Didn't that happen in G.W.Bush's first election?
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Telchin wrote:I don't know much about american constitution, but I believe that changing it is hard even when compared to constitutions of other countries, which is probably the reason they still use this ystem (someone from the USA may corect me).
Nope, you are right. It is intentionally hard to change. The method of change is an amendment, which needs 75% of the states to ratify it to go into effect, after two-thirds of congress have approved it.
It has to be something very popular or important to be successful.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Telchin wrote: @nuorc
Well, if there is only one (vast) number, I guess it's not possible that someone with less votes is elected (as I understand that's possible in the US and has happened).
Didn't that happen in G.W.Bush's first election?
The popular vote was basically a tie anyway. Not that that contradicts what you said.

The popular vote being different from the electoral college outcome may not be great, but it isn't quite the travesty it sounds, because the campaigns were run for winning the EC, not the popular vote. If they had been run toward winning the popular vote, the precise outcome would likely have been different. (And the regional pandering would be different - maybe for the better, maybe not.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Here in Australia, we don't vote for a head of state. We have the Queen, but all the real power is vested in the Prime Minister, who is the leader of the party that gets the most seats in the lower house. That means that your vote for your local electorate directly translates to a vote for that party to govern.
It doesn't mean that you vote counts any more in a safe seat than it does in a safe state in the US, but at least popularity of a leaders plays a lesser role, and governments generally have a majority required to get things done. In principle, anyways.
I guess that if you guys wanted to grovel a bit the Queen would take you back... :P
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.