Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Re: Nightmares

Post by Sleepwalker »

I like 4, 8, H and O. I like 9 too though it looks like it might cause problems with any spoken line of text in-game. But I take it you will change the angle.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

1, 6, and 10 look good to me, 6 being the best. (barely)

C, O, and E are my personal favorites for the higher levels. (O being the best)

Remember, I'm not an artist.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

4 or 5 for the lower level (more so 5, it just seem like the typical cat stare down pose)

E or L for the upper levels (more so L, but I don't like how two snakes are raised and two snakes are on the ground / and E's expression looks scared which sorta detracts from the fierceness of it [being a two headed cat with four snakes as a tail...])

9 is also really cool, there's just something about it nagging me to say it doesn't fit/work/[WORD_I_FORGOT]... I hope you know what I mean.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

I prefer 8 and L, for shadowy slithery (sinuous?) dynamic-ness.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

i don't know what those nightmares are about, but i like:

8, G, K

5, if the left paw supports the chin the way humans sometimes do while sitting at a table.
11 and D if it is supposed to look more like an ordinary cat.
7, M if it is supposed to look more like the 'nightmare' name suggests (as said, i don't know what the nightmares are about)

causes of dislikes were usually not looking enough cat-like (J looks more like a bison) and too much contrasting regions of the cat and the snake parts (like in O).
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks everyone for your comment. I've refined a pose for the L1 black cat, based on which thumbs were selected the most. If someone from the Nightmares team has a specific choice I'll go along with it, otherwise I'll finalise the most successful pose.

Edit: replaced attachement with a numbered sample to make selectiob easier
Attachments
Wesnoth_KoM_black-cat-study2.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

The ones I like most are "middle-left" and "bottom-right" ones :)
the first because it gives a feral looking to it, and the second because it looks more like a cat pet.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

More concepts ! The evolved black cat, or "Jinx beast" if I didn't mixed up the background.
Attachments
Wesnoth_KoM_jinx-beast-study.jpg
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

C, F, and B all look good to me. The fin-like things on the tails of D make it look more like it should belong in the water to me.

Oh, 4 and 6 look best for the level 1 to me.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Since the purpose is a portrait, the creature is supposed to "talk to something" so the heads both should be checking in the same direction.

A seems the only one doing that in the advanced nightmarish cat.

The version I would like more is something like in D, the left head looking forward like the head in B, and the right head as its done in D. :)

but I have 0 power over it. they look very nice.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Since the purpose is a portrait, the creature is supposed to "talk to something" so the heads both should be checking in the same direction.
Not nessecarily, since it only needs to be using one pair of eyes and one mouth. If you had two sets of eyes, wouldn't you be watching your back with one of them? (in a combat situation)
Kess

Post by Kess »

While I have no preferences for the portraits-in-making, …

…these concepts’ poses caught me off guard and I’ve been smiling and snickering for a while now. :mrgreen:

(All made me smile. No. 6 caught me snickering, the pose is just fantastic. And, in my mind, the tails of the higher level version were animated and while the first head was talking/growling the second one was busy following the tails movement. Which fact made me laugh. Really good work on making them feel alive, both in the sense of being animated and having a “soul”!)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks for the comments. My own choice would be :
- 3 because the pose and feral aspect seem the most fit for a nightmarish creature, as opposed to your average lazy pet cat.
- B or C, depending on wether we want the advanced beast to resemble a large cat or a panther

However, before I get to the thick of things I would appreciate a word from someone of the Nightmares team: since you guys will be the primary users of my work, I'd rather make sure I'm taking the right direction before I spend a dozen hours shading.
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Post by FAAB »

Wow, these drawings are great.
I am not the most qualified so forgive me if my comment is not helpful.
LordBob wrote:Thanks for the comments. My own choice would be :
- 3 because the pause and feral aspect seem the most fit for a nightmarish creature, as opposed to your average lazy pet cat.
The threat from the cat should be either "in your face" with the cat standing like in 3 or more stealthy where the cat could be lying. Personally, I like 3 best.
LordBob wrote:- B or C, depending on wether we want the advanced beast to resemble a large cat or a panther
I like C better as I see the second head from B as from a second unit behind.
I think the straight profile of the head on our left would be better if leaning a bit toward us though.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Duly noted.

I'm done with the rendering of the Black Cat. When preparing the final portrait, I will cut out the background so that ingame the cat is seen standing on the mossy piece of wood.
Attachments
Wesnoth_KoM_black-cat-study3.jpg