Return to Ruins SP Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ulfsark

Return to Ruins SP Campaign

Post by Ulfsark »

Last Updated 1/21/13

Hello, My name is Jeff, I go by Ulfsark online . I recently got my first Wesnoth campaign to a playable state and would like some feedback on it.

This campaign now has original music by Paul Fredericks

You can find more of his work as well as contact him at http://www.paulfredericksmusic.com

If the campaign does not work on your machine please e-mail me at jeffstevensdev@gmail.com thanks!

Overview
The humble farmers of Vertegris are summoned by Erik the General of Weldyn to put an end to an orcish raiding party. If they knew what would befall their former home... They never would have left. This is a relatively short campaign with 8 scenarios, It is still undergoing changes.

You can find it by searching for Return to Ruins on the Add-Ons server.

It is currently in beta here are the things I am working on at the moment. I will upload updates semi-frequently, thank you very much for your feedback I appreciate it.
Spoiler:
Here are some questions for those who play my campaign, Any other feedback is greatly appreciated as well.
Spoiler:
Change log

Version 0.5.1 (1/21/13)
Spoiler:
Last edited by Ulfsark on April 11th, 2013, 9:01 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Author of Return to Ruins Single Player Campaign
Eugen

Re: Return to Ruins SP Campaign

Post by Eugen »

I can't recruit in the first scenario and after the first turn there's an error which ends the game. What version of BfW is your add on for?
But I like the main character :)
Ulfsark

Post by Ulfsark »

Eugen wrote:I can't recruit in the first scenario and after the first turn there's an error which ends the game. What version of BfW is your add on for?
But I like the main character :)
Spoiler:

Edit Okay I fixed it, It should work, Thanks for the heads up I really appreciate it. I had to get rid of the peasant from the recruit list since the game did not like having to recruit peasants for some reason.

New version has been uploaded with this fix.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I know the reason. You forgot to capitalize the word peasant.

You had:

Code: Select all

recruit= Footpad,Bowman,Spearman,peasant
It should be:

Code: Select all

recruit= Footpad,Bowman,Spearman,Peasant
I tested it, it works.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Your campaign is really nice to play.
Skirmish with just a few units, that is how I like it. :)
A few things I noticed:

- Most of the images are already in core, so there is no need to have a copy in the add-on's folder.

- There is no early finish bonus for the first scenarios.

- Scenario 02 (talk only) ends with 80% gold carryover. My proposal is 100%.

- Scenario 03 / Brian is not easy recognizable as a loyal unit; a loyal overlay would be great.
how easily this is to do:
- Scenario 06 / The turn limit is at least two turns to low (imho)

- Scenario 07 /
Spoiler:
code attempt:
- Scenario 08 /
Spoiler:
I played on NORMAL difficulty / BfW 1.10.3
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

- Most of the images are already in core, so there is no need to have a copy in the add-on's folder.
Actually, it's best to copy them anyway, that way if they get moved you don't need to update, IIRC.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Ulfsark

Post by Ulfsark »

Thanks for the feedback guys I will implement everything this weekend sometime. I really appreciate it :)
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

TheScribe wrote:
Actually, it's best to copy them anyway, that way if they get moved you don't need to update, IIRC.
No.
Files being moved in the core directory happens almost never; and by including them you are pushing your add-on's size. Nobody likes to download the same stuff over and over again. ;)
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I guess I remembered wrong. The post I was basing that on was from a long time ago. Thanks for clearing that up.

Incidentally, I'll be playing RtR once I get more time.
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

Hi-- I downloaded and tried the first few scenarios of RtR (I think it is 0.1.12) with BfW 1.10.0 and win2k with SP4.

I noticed a couple of odd things: Harold starts out with max XP= 1; and after he destroys an enemy unit, he's at XP= 8/1; but he doesn't advance(!). That seems wrong. Is it intended?

Also, Nyland started out as a lev-1 lawful unit. In scenario 3, he advanced to trapper, and became a chaotic unit. Was that intended?

The first few maps are attractive, and I, too, prefer stories where the early parts are small skirmish-like affairs. I.e., so that events can build up to a cresendo down near the end. With maybe some twists & turns along the way. My impression so far is pretty positive. But I'm a little confused for the moment about how Harold & Nyland advance.
--sneezy
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Sneezy wrote:Harold starts out with max XP= 1; and after he destroys an enemy unit, he's at XP= 8/1; but he doesn't advance(!). That seems wrong. Is it intended?
Harold is a level 1 unit and advances_to=null , that means he doesn't level up to a level 2 unit, but he shouldn't start with experience=0 .
@Ulfsark: Set Harolds experience to something between 30 and 60, so he can use AMLA
Sneezy wrote:Also, Nyland started out as a lev-1 lawful unit. In scenario 3, he advanced to trapper, and became a chaotic unit. Was that intended?
That is because of a wrong setting in Nylands unit_type.cfg
Current setting:advances_to=Trapper
Right setting:advances_to=Nyland_Upgrade

And for level three uses Nyland the mainline units Huntsman or Ranger, and those units are chaotic.

@Ulfsark: Why don't you give Nyland a own level 3 unit_type.cfg?
You can use [base_unit]

Sorry for hijacking this thread.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Ulfsark

Post by Ulfsark »

Adamant14 wrote:
Sneezy wrote:Harold starts out with max XP= 1; and after he destroys an enemy unit, he's at XP= 8/1; but he doesn't advance(!). That seems wrong. Is it intended?
Harold is a level 1 unit and advances_to=null , that means he doesn't level up to a level 2 unit, but he shouldn't start with experience=0 .
@Ulfsark: Set Harolds experience to something between 30 and 60, so he can use AMLA
Sneezy wrote:Also, Nyland started out as a lev-1 lawful unit. In scenario 3, he advanced to trapper, and became a chaotic unit. Was that intended?
That is because of a wrong setting in Nylands unit_type.cfg
Current setting:advances_to=Trapper
Right setting:advances_to=Nyland_Upgrade

And for level three uses Nyland the mainline units Huntsman or Ranger, and those units are chaotic.

@Ulfsark: Why don't you give Nyland a own level 3 unit_type.cfg?
You can use [base_unit]

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Haha no worries Adamant!

Thanks for playing and providing feedback Sneezy I really appreciate it! You are correct that those are mistakes and that I need to fix them. And thanks for the advice Admant it is always appreciated!

I am going to try and post another update tonight with those changes and a few other minor tweaks to dialogue and stuff like that as well.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Not sure if it's just me, but I downloaded the updated version and it doesn't work at all.

Let me know whether you are getting the same. If not, I'll supply the error message.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Works fine here.
Version 0.2.0
BfW 1.10.3

EDIT:

The new travelmap-images blew up the (download) size of your campaign enormous.

11,3 MB!!! only for the those images. :shock:

The whole campaign has 11,7 MB ( with the travelmap images incuded )
Ulfsark

Post by Ulfsark »

Adamant14 wrote:Works fine here.
Version 0.2.0
BfW 1.10.3

EDIT:

The new travelmap-images blew up the (download) size of your campaign enormous.

11,3 MB!!! only for the those images. :shock:

The whole campaign has 11,7 MB ( with the travelmap images incuded )

Yeah I noticed... Are they not worth it you think? 11mb is big in comparison, but I feel its not that big.. Hmm Maybe just use them more sparingly?

Edit: Totally did not think to just lower the quality on them. I Can do that this weekend, That should decrease the size by a fair amount. Thanks for the heads up!