Troj - The Tale of Jacky

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alex23

Troj - The Tale of Jacky

Post by alex23 »

*If there is anyone who would like to help me with new units (design and animation) please write me*
New Ideas (any) welcome!!

As i finished the 5th scenario I decided that the Game has now (hopefully) enough gameplay to be tested and to be rated. So I would REALLY appreciate any constructive feedback (to the gameplay, units, story, difficulty etc)..
Here is the standard questionary:

What difficulty level did you play on?

What version where you playing?

Did you find the campaign fun? (1-10)

Were any scenarios too easy too hard?

What can be added to the one vs one battles to improve them? Or are should I somehow replace them completely?

What do you think about the story? The characteristic of the main heroes? Their names?

How can the maps be improved? Both visually and game play wise?

Is the dialogue boring or stupid at any points?

Where there any bugs? Or other "strange" things?

Was it too hard to find one of the hero-friends? (Scenario: Castle Prison->Wauwau is automaatically "bought" for 50 gold Scenario: Kill the Assassin-> Drogan is the left way, in the village; Scenario: On the way to Camila -> Diana is at the village in the water (the nearest one))

Are any units over/underpowered?

Any other Tips/Questions?

Thanks to anyone who tries to help^^

[Edit]:
So I am going to make a custom unit of Garud (scenario 5) because I want him to play a bigger role in the future.. I was also thinking about adding another (probably last for now) subhero/pet, making him very difficult to ffind and not that strong butvery special (just for fun)
Please also tell me what you think of Erichs action in HARD mode in the optional campaign "Clearing the Underground": There are 3 possibilities, but not to spoil anything I won't mention them here.. If you have any other questions to special events or how to get a subhero,please write me a message.

0.1.9.3a:
Many changes: Scenario Grass1 And Sand 1 complete, should be playable (however idk if they are balanced), added a few new features as promised in scenario7 (or 8 depending on the way you choose).
Added MANY custom uits/units from other eras, a few weapon specials/abilities, should work. Made Diana a leader in SCenario Sand1, able to recruit a costum unit (summon), a few other changes, a few debugs.. However it still might be buggy. If something doesnt work, pls post here what and in which scenario.

Version 0.1.9.1a:
Improved a few scenarios, debuged a little, added new unit for Garud, not correct animated yet (it looks ok but could do better)..

Version 0.1.9a
First part (7scenarios) should be balanced and working (although story parts still might miss), second part only introduction scenario and Grasslands is working now, however not finished yet.
There should be no bug anymore that heroes aren't recalled in part 2 (however I ma not sure), the heroes in part 2 aren't modified yet (although Necropath says that he had modified them)

Version 0.1.8a (10:52/ 02.11.12)
Second part added, at all 13 scenarios, although only 8 finished (and the eight one is not a real scenario). Alot of new units/units from other eras (five fates/ageless era), a few new weapon specials, new main hero (necropath(thx to Zerovirus for the image)). Try not to loose your heroes in Scenario 7 (the last one of part 1) as it might have buggs atm and you might loose them completely/loose their advancments. SO let Jacky die first if possible. The new units might
Last edited by alex23 on November 6th, 2012, 9:21 pm, edited 19 times in total.
TheScribe

Re: Troj - The Tale of Eragon

Post by TheScribe »

ALso I wanted to ask how do I upload my scenario(I just don't get it)?
Open the Addons Server (where you download addons) and scroll all the way to the bottom. If you have a Server.pbl file in the folder, there should be a button that says "upload addon '________'"
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I think you'll want to change the name, because everyone will assume it's about this.
alex23

Post by alex23 »

Thank you both:) yeah i also thought that it could be confusing but wanted to see what people say
alex23

Post by alex23 »

ah btw How Can I change the Topic name?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Just edit the original post’s subject by clicking on the ‘Edit’ button next to it.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
alex23

Post by alex23 »

And now I uploaded it with currently 3 campaigns, please review (they are really short, to play alle choose the option to go and kill the rtats in the prison)
alex23

Re: Troj - The Tale of Jacky

Post by alex23 »

Thx shadowmaster
alex23

Post by alex23 »

So version 0.1.3a is uploaded, 5 scenarios so far.. please play it through and give me a feedback, thanks
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

scenerio3, a typo, "I am shure he will be of great help for you". Are you sure this should be "shure"?

bug on scenerio3:
You can let Menolaos perish "victoriously" as well.

bug on scenerio4:
You made a typo on "Bone Shooter". There is a space, and the "S" should be a bold texted one, or the computer does not distinguish. Anyway, fixed it for you.
未命名.JPG
scenerio4, a typo. The skeleton dragon says "ANd", not "And". You can use Word7 to do spell checks after finishing the campaign.

I have finished it. It is rather easy even on champion level, though I still did not figure out why do you use elvish graphs to mark difficulties, since it seems have no any relationship to elves. Anyway, it is neat, clear, fast, and refreshing. I really like it. :) I am hoping you will release other scenerios sooner. :wink:
Attachments
04_Troj-4.cfg
This one shall work
(6.74 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

What difficulty level did you play on?
Champion. I always choose the hardest level because these startegies are always universally applicable.
What version where you playing?
The current version I downloaded today.
Did you find the campaign fun? (1-10)
9. Really funny. No redundancies, no alternative choices for upgrades, just keep it simple and beautiful, like wesnoth :wink:
Were any scenarios too easy too hard?
Rather easy for all scenerios on Champion level until this far.
What can be added to the one vs one battles to improve them? Or are should I somehow replace them completely?
Don't add anything. Simple units, beautiful units. :)
What do you think about the story? The characteristic of the main heroes? Their names?
The story was told in different perspectives. Rather neat, but you can make it clearer and less confusing.
How can the maps be improved? Both visually and game play wise?
I will check it and repair all the wrongly made climatic terrian errors, and figure out what to imporve.
Is the dialogue boring or stupid at any points?
Very simple and neat, I like it; but it is somehow complicated as well, since every events don't have much relationship with each other, while none of them was given a good explanation.
Where there any bugs? Or other "strange" things?
See that post above. I did not find any more around here.
Was it too hard to find one of the hero-friends? (Scenario: Castle Prison->Wauwau is automaatically "bought" for 50 gold Scenario: Kill the Assassin-> Drogan is the left way, in the village; Scenario: On the way to Camila -> Diana is at the village in the water (the nearest one))
I found all of these guys. Just a query: why does Diana live in a merfolk village? :lol2: Besides, you should add a loyal trait to Drogan
Are any units over/underpowered?
The wolf is a little bit too weak IMO. If I were you, I will add more hp or drain damage, lower down the exp requirement.
Any other Tips/Questions?
I don't think there is any problem in the current 5 scenerios, but, I suppose it would appear soon. One of them what I am concerned about is that the heroes does not have any ways to repair hp. This campaign looks rather natural, but somehow RPG like, so a healer would be very necessary some day later. Thus, I suggest to give Diana a cures, heals+8 ability.

There are still something besides of that I would be interested to introduce. One is that I noticed Dragan transform to be a bat while moving, just like the Mater of Darkness in Tharis. It is really good one, I like it :) . However, his dodge rate is generally low; that does not fit this characteristic properly; even if he shall land and fight (dodge rate remain low), I suppose the terrian movement costs should be minimized.

For Jacky and Patruk, I noticed that their mobility is rather low on swamps, shallow water, mountains as well, just like default smallfoot units. As heroes there should be some exceptions made on them to let them overcross bad terrians with ease. Let alone there is a design flaw that they have only 5 movement points, while in wesnoth, heroes except for dwarves and trolls and trees, have 6+ movement points. So If I were you I am defineltly gonna fix them.

If you check the newest version of Imperial Era, you can find better animations for Patruk by applying legionaire's animations. Diana needs some anomations as well, that can be copied from EoMa, where we have lot of mages (O'lord inferno8 :lol2: ).
alex23

Post by alex23 »

Thank you very much, I'll try to imply everything you mentioned till 0.1.5a (latest tomorrow).
Yes although the first 3 scenarios (without healers) are as you mentioned pretty easy.. Later on Jacky is going to have the regenerating ability on one way and very high resistances the other way.. MAking Drogan loyal sounds good, and changing Diana to heal was my ntention, i just forgot it^^

Thx for the tipps where to find better unit animations and thanks for playing and reviewing it that fast!!

Post 2
Haha and Diana was living in a merfolk village because my first idea was to make her a merfolk unit^^ but then she would be unuseful in alot of later scenarios.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

alex23 wrote:Thank you very much, I'll try to imply everything you mentioned till 0.1.5a (latest tomorrow).
Yes although the first 3 scenarios (without healers) are as you mentioned pretty easy.. Later on Jacky is going to have the regenerating ability on one way and very high resistances the other way.. MAking Drogan loyal sounds good, and changing Diana to heal was my ntention, i just forgot it^^

Thx for the tipps where to find better unit animations and thanks for playing and reviewing it that fast!!

Post 2
Haha and Diana was living in a merfolk village because my first idea was to make her a merfolk unit^^ but then she would be unuseful in alot of later scenarios.
Did you check that typo bug in scenerio5? It is really but a typo... :lol2:
That one I uploaded can be applied

Besides, if u need detalied analysis of each scenerio, I will check that for you and post here. Just ask if u need
alex23

Post by alex23 »

AxalaraFlame wrote: Did you check that typo bug in scenerio5? It is really but a typo... :lol2:
That one I uploaded can be applied

Besides, if u need detalied analysis of each scenerio, I will check that for you and post here. Just ask if u need
Not yet, but as soon as I have a bit more scenarios and a fixed storyline i will ask you.. Atm I have too much things I might change in the early scenarios^^

But thx for cheking
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Bro, I am testing the new version, but I stuck at scenerio6. These are what I suggest to do:

1.Buff Patruk and Jacky's base mobility to 6, and fastfoot Jacky's mobility to 7.
2.Buff Diana's hp after she leveled, because 40 hp ain't be enough. On lv3 I guess 48-52 would be fine.
3.Buff Patruk, Jacky, and Diana's swamp and coastal reaf terrian mobility from 3 movement point costs to 2 movement point costs.
4.Buff Drogan's hp. 37 is simply not enough, let alone his negative resistances make him harder to survive. I guess 42 would suffice. Besides, are you sure it is rational that Drogan can get a cures/heals by AMLA? That AMLA list is really confusing because there is no exp differences resulted by different upgrades, let alone there is no classical +hp choices, which is rather important for Drogan. IMO he could just level up to be a stronger unit regularly, and continue to upgrade till he gets all necessary abilities like Patruk do.
Drogan's resistances are strangely low. Comparing to other heroes, he is really lame. I suggest to give him 42 hp and 10%+ physical (until this far I still have no idea about why the hell do they set vampires to have negative resistances against pierce, bah), fire resistances shall be greater or equal than -10%. As a vampire, as far as I know they only fear arcane damage. Cold weapon doesn't really damage them since they are half-dead, and fire does not hurt them much as well since it is just a kind of heat damage for them, not the sun, which has holy power et cetera. Besides, they can regenerate. But if you don't like you can ignore it and explain it as they only regenerate by draining. There is still one more thing impractical here, that is I found ghosts can drain from Dragan. Okokok I am totally done with him... :doh:
5.Buff Diana's initial magical resistances. At least we shall give her more cold resistances, since she is good at it.
6.One of the heroes gotta get a leadership; I recommend Patruk or Jacky, but only either of them, not both.
7.When heroes get leveled, please mark the right level instead of the weird ones like lv2--lv4 et cetera. It really does not matter if they are loyal, but that does not look natural.
8. You sure your puppy cannot climb mountain, and receive greater dodge rate on sand and cave than plains?! :augh:

Scenerio1, I suppose you have made Jacky invincible, right? That is why I cannot actually make him die ever once :lol2:

Scenerio2, your puppy is really good, but you move really slowly so you will miss everything, since your dog finishes all of them for you. I suggest to teleport Jacky to the position with his dog after he bought it from the outlaw.

Scenerio3, It is rather easy, but it won't be so cool as Patruk moves 6 hexes a turn, thus he can get to Drogan's house within three turns.

Scenerio4, I suggest to change Menelaos's conscription list as Longbowman and Bladesman only, erase Pikeman, since I don't really see the point of recruiting them. Before the drake could fend off nagas and focus on us, my guys should have finished them already, since our heroes move far swifter than his and we are not distracted by nagas. So basically he is only going to fight nagas, Pikeman would be actually useless.

Scenerio5, before you updated the campaign, it is really too easy. We don't even need to do anything positively, just sit aside and watch, pick some exp during the cat fights between the undead and the humans enemies. But now we have to kill all enemy leaders, which do take some time and caution, so it is well balanced after all. If I were still to change some elements of this scenerio, I will move that northwest corner village (3,4) one hex nearer to us, and I will make some roads in the south desert, or the landing process would be trisky. Unless, of course, kill the enemy leader simply by the heroes, since they don't have any mobility problems on sands.
Futhermore, your scenerio objectives does not match with the real objectives. Its description still shows as "kill the skeleton dragon xxx"

Scenerio6 has not of problems. It is not well balanced. To fend off saurians and undead without mages, we would only rely on HIs. But the terrian was so bad that my troppers can hardly move, let alone to fight properly. I think the problem focuses on the hills neary by your keep. These hills really screw everything up, takes a whole day for a HeavyInfantry to move out of the castle to the battlefield. This is some kind of very basic design flaw, if let me say; so I boldly removed all these hills and move on.
Did you see the problem? Even a quick HI needs 5 turns to move out. Mobilizing troops became an extremely tough job.
Did you see the problem? Even a quick HI needs 5 turns to move out. Mobilizing troops became an extremely tough job.
Besides, fighting saurians is trisky too, since the whole south part of the map was nearly covered by swamps, we have to send mermans to deal with this; but the swamp ends up in a land-based castle, so it will be hard for them to take the leader down. Here I remade a map for you, fixed all those mentioned above, delicately fixed all unrealistic detailed terrian hexes, cancelled flank villages and add more; I did not change the castles, because it seems that you love finely built castles rather than more realistic-ruined ones. To lower down the difficultiy, I suggest to start from cutting down enemy income, in case they simply swarm to us continuously while we can not even get out of that dumb hills. More turns needed as well.
Scenario5.map
This map is nearly perfect now. You might check it. I am using this one currently to break this scenerio.
(24.1 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Finally, I shall remind you that many unit's voices are rather queer. For instance, when Diana was hurt or died, her voice is the regular male-unit's voice. Your dog shout like humans as well when it is hurt, which is really laughable :lol2: