Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles (chapter 7 is out)

Post by Dugi »

They were weakened? Well, their resistances to cold, pierce and also a bit to blade were decreased, but they are much stronger otherwise. If you redeem some enemies, you'll get a lot of powerful abilities, many of them are significantly stronger than the attacks of preserved liches.
You cannot do this chapter with leaders only, like some previous ones, that is sure and it was intended. I plan to weaken the preserved liches to make it harder to pass the older scenarios with leaders only. With proper support of other units, I could handle scenarios 1-4 without real problems, then I decided to stop testing the balance, just whether it works, and hurry with writing.
Or it was in some later scenarios like Den of Evil?
p013121

Post by p013121 »

I found there wasn't enough level 1 troops to redeem in the first few scenarios. Efraim and lethalia would also end up killing them in the counter attack quite a lot as well
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

In Ascension there was some funny movement/zoc thing:
ascensionfm.jpg
ascensionfm.jpg (70.34 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
In Toxic Sun EdC's old 'pirate' portrait is back.
And he's only called Efraim from now on?
Ist it Lethalia's correct portrait? And there's an 'it' too much.
tsl.jpg
tsl.jpg (68.14 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
I have a cunning plan.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@p013121 I never had such problems. Level 1 units are randomly spawned almost in all scenarios, and I always had enough of them (there was always more of them to choose from until about scenario 5, where I could already redeem level 2 units and level 1-2 unit were randomly spawned almost until the end). And if everything else fails, you can attempt to redeem also higher level units, although reloading has no effect on this. The guy who was beta-testing it got to level 5 redeem in the first half of the campaign. And the units you can redeem are usually much slower, so it should not be so hard to get to them. At least I never had these problems.
And I plan to automatically increase the level of redeem at the beginning of chapter 8 to avoid these problems (without other benefits). If you think it would be good, I might make it automatically increase to level 2 maybe in scenario 6 or so.

@nuorc The weird movement is intentional, you are not supposed to move too close to the edge of the map, the memories are so intense only in the town and its southern part, where the battle that changed Efraim's life happened. (again, if you really have problems to bear it, I can change it)

Lethalia's portrait is OK, the guy who drew it is still working on it, I had there a portrait made by me before, but it was worse than this unfinished portrait. I will update it as soon as that guy finishes it.
And of course there was an error in the dialogue, looks like some mess created while rewriting (I am not perfect at english, so it had to be corrected by someone else, and mistakes just happen). Fixed, will be uploaded in the next release.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Dugi wrote:you are not supposed to move too close to the edge of the map, the memories are so intense only in the town and its southern part, where the battle that changed Efraim's life happened. (again, if you really have problems to bear it, I can change it)
That would probably be the black line in the minimap, which I chose not to investigate... Thx for explaining it! :D
And please don't bother to change it.
Dugi wrote:Lethalia's portrait
ok; I guess wings are to come. And because you didn't mention it: EdC's old portrait...

Regarding the 'it': no need for elaborated excuses, 'fixed' suffices. :wink:

Now to something way more serious: Sén killed Hephaistos in The Poison:
sen1.jpg
sen1.jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
During his wait till Toxic Sun YOU stole his 40XP:
sen2.jpg
sen2.jpg (23.3 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
BOO!

Oh, and just now I notice he's listed with 30/48 HP; on recall HP are max, XP are 48... :annoyed:
I have a cunning plan.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

And because you didn't mention it: EdC's old portrait...
That one sucked too, but the new portrait was finished.
Now to something way more serious: Sén killed Hephaistos in The Poison:
Oh, and just now I notice he's listed with 30/48 HP; on recall HP are max, XP are 48...
Fixed both. Or at least I tried, but I am usually successful. If you have the will, you can try it out, but it would mean replaying two scenarios...

I also added a new unit, Dwarvish Technocrat to advance from Dwarvish Dragonguard. The only unit without an advancement is Dwarvish Berserker now, I will try to make up some appearance for his advancement asap.
I also made some elite items impossible to drop in the first part of the add-on, and slightly decreased the resistances of preserved liches - to make it a bit harder for them to survive. (if somebody dislikes this, he may object, I can be persuaded to revert it)
Version 2.3.2 is out.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Dugi wrote:the new portrait was finished.
ok. I don't know how your replacement of portraits work, so I just wanted to make clear that this was again the black haired guy you recently replaced in An_Orcish_Assault.
Dugi wrote:Fixed both. Or at least I tried, but I am usually successful. If you have the will, you can try it out, but it would mean replaying two scenarios...
mkay? So this is not a matter of "delayed update"? And should I take it from the last save of Escape_from_Oblivion?

Just out of interest: what file would I need to hack to give Sén his XP back? :whistle:
I have a cunning plan.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

ok. I don't know how your replacement of portraits work, so I just wanted to make clear that this was again the black haired guy you recently replaced in An_Orcish_Assault.
He was supposed to look like a black haired guy with two swords in his hands, yes.
mkay? So this is not a matter of "delayed update"? And should I take it from the last save of Escape_from_Oblivion?
Yes, almost all updates are, unfortunately, delayed. Start from the last save from Escape from Oblivion, or from the save file named LotI1-The Poison.gz (made before the first auto-save of that scenario, and it is not erased by time), it contains no data about the ongoing scenario as well.
Just out of interest: what file would I need to hack to give Sén his XP back?
His exp was not stolen, he was reverted to a stage where his experience was as it was before he killed the dragon. To add the xp to him, all you can do is to modify the save file, but that is far from easy. You can try to open it and use Find&Replace to change all experience=48 to experience=88 , but that might possibly affect also other units. You might alternatively look for name="Cél", locate a part experience=48 near it and change it to experience=88 for all occurrences of the name="Cél".
p013121

Post by p013121 »

I've finally got it sorted I got redeem 4 by the end of the second scenario. Last time I rushed through it and didn't stop to redeem the boundless undead about
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I've finally got it sorted I got redeem 4 by the end of the second scenario. Last time I rushed through it and didn't stop to redeem the boundless undead about
Well, you didn't have to do that, you just could slowly get to redeem 4 or 5 through the entire chapter, there are still almost limitless level 2-3 enemies till the end of the chapter (after getting redeem 5, it'll go a bit faster on low level units, because it gets an area of effect). All you have to do is not to neglect it completely, or you may come into problems because of having only weak advancements (regeneration to heal wounds faster, some resistance penetration to deal more damage easily (I fixed a bug in it in the latest version, it works perfectly now), melee combat to retaliate more and a powerful spell to harm masses of enemies, possibly with slow if you choose blizzard or arctic hose should make your leader powerful enough).

EDIT:
I have finished drawing dwarves, and now all dwarves have advancements. I have also added these warnings not to forget about developing the units with redeem into the game, version 2.3.3 finished. Now back to fixing these converging advancement lines :)

EDIT #2: I am working on making some kind of in-game help, because I am replying to the same question all over and over again. It will contain walkthroughs (fell free to correct them when I publish them), some information about the modified interface and Frequently Asked Questions, to make sure that some things will not be misunderstood (like the item storage with potions only after turn 2 'bug').
mousyack

Post by mousyack »

Oh. This last campaign is a real timekiller... Especially the spiral scenario, it take some time to fight your way through a neverending flow of bad guys :-/
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I can alter it if you want, but Konrad2 told me that after playing LotI, he suddenly found other campaigns quite boring, so I made several scenarios quite time consuming. If you want, I might make a shortcut through that scenario, telling that it is very dangerous because lots of enemies will attack you in the following boss battles. This would shorten that scenario, but that badass dodgy Queen of Darkness and the dracolich will get massive support from her minions.

EDIT: Updated. I have added an advancement to Javelineer, as somebody requested like a month ago, and also added help files containing answers to Frequently Asked Questions, some information about the interface and walkthroughs for those who got stuck (can be seen through right-clicking anywhere). I would like if somebody read it and corrected it if wrong information was written there, especially in walkthroughs.
Also, I have removed retrospective compatibility to versions before 2.2.0, but these changes should crash only if you're in chapter 3. I may provide older versions of somebody needs to finish chapter 3 on it. This should quicken loading.
Last edited by Dugi on October 25th, 2012, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mousyack

Post by mousyack »

No, I don't think that you should make any shortcuts. For those who want a shortcut, there's ":debug". If players tend to like spending time in this scenario training their über army (which is what this scenario is made for, I suppose), let it be as it is.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Okay. How long did it take you to complete and on which difficulty?
mousyack

Post by mousyack »

I tried on normal "from scratch" (not continuing from previous chapter). But it turned out to be way too difficult; for example, I lost my entire army in the second scenario, but was able to winish with just leaders. The next two scenarios were OK, but then I could not beat "Tundra" (too many enemies and not enough troops) and started to cheat.

Now I restarted on hard but continuing from previous chapter, and with all those powerful units to recall it's much easier so far.