After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

Scottar

Re: After the Storm 0.8.3 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.0]

Post by Scottar »

Kanzil wrote:There are very few comments simply because the campaign has almost no bugs, brilliant storyline and almost perfect balance. I was just pointing out you probably should do some research before making such statements- sorry if it came across as a little brusque.
6 billion and counting on the planet
6 billion people do not play Wesnoth, of those who do, a fairly large amount have downloaded AtS or IftU- anyway, this is 1.10, and the two have had downloads on previous versions as well, whilst the download count does not carry over.
Out of the millions of internet users 15+ downloads are a drop in the internet lake. And then downloads mean nothing either. It's how many rate the campaign as good or better and take time to respond as: I played the game and thought so and so of it. But I'm sure Wesnoth players are a special breed, those that play it religiously. So it how many players of Wesnoth found the ATS interesting enough to play it through without getting frustrating and moving on.

And I don't find the easy play very balanced. And some of the graphics could be improved upon, that's my take on it as an experienced player who has played all the campaigns of Wesnoth and many addons as well.

But by going into the scenarios and tweaking them one can learn the game programing enough to attempt making their own addon. Its not like C or some of the other difficult program languages but more like basic use to be. 8)

:|
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Scottar wrote:And I don't find the easy play very balanced.
Patches welcome. Although a detailed analysis would be just as good.

Due to time and energy constraints, I only playtest on Normal. And as of late I’m too busy with other things to do any balancing at all.
Scottar wrote:And some of the graphics could be improved upon, that's my take on it as an experienced player who has played all the campaigns of Wesnoth and many addons as well.
I’m a campaign writer, not an artist.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Scottar

Post by Scottar »

shadowmaster wrote:
Scottar wrote:And I don't find the easy play very balanced.
Patches welcome. Although a detailed analysis would be just as good.

Due to time and energy constraints, I only playtest on Normal. And as of late I’m too busy with other things to do any balancing at all.
Scottar wrote:And some of the graphics could be improved upon, that's my take on it as an experienced player who has played all the campaigns of Wesnoth and many addons as well.
I’m a campaign writer, not an artist.
But you got your feedback on graphics, you can pass it on to the artists! :lol2:

I did the testing on easy and I'm letting you know. :eng:

Chill, Just trying to add to the enjoyability of the game. :mrgreen:

End of comments, guess your too busy. :whistle:
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Scottar wrote:But you got your feedback on graphics, you can pass it on to the artists! :lol2:
Actually, he doesn't have any dedicated artists for After the Storm. Most of the stuff he makes himself, with some help from myself, artisticdude, and Zerovirus.
Last edited by vultraz on September 17th, 2012, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Scottar wrote:But you got your feedback on graphics, you can pass it on to the artists! :lol2:
I’m sorry to say this, but I am the only dedicated artist graphic files maker at this time. Anything that I didn’t draw was made by many other different people and not necessarily for IftU or AtS. Therefore, I’m not in position to demand any improvements or additions from them.

An exception is the bulk of the portraits, which were made specifically for IftU, but the artist isn’t around anymore and probably wouldn’t accede to anyone stealing her time for frivolous changes like making Galas less “feminine”. Since portraits are far harder to make than sprites, changes like that tend to require redrawing them in their entirety.

While I wouldn’t mind better portraits, they would have to be quite significantly better, and the time and energy spent in such a thing could really be spent making all the portraits needed for AtS-specific characters instead.

Of course, I really have no idea who would be willing to take on such a project at this point. Everyone who has the necessary skills is either gone from the community or most likely unwilling to work on a lesser known UMC when they could still contribute to mainline. Not that I would accept offers from anyone either. I would really rather have no AtS portraits at all at this time if that means I won’t have to work with someone who doesn’t give a crap about the campaign’s essence — which isn’t the gameplay, as it’s painfully obvious by now.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Scottar

Post by Scottar »

shadowmaster wrote:
I’m sorry to say this, but I am the only dedicated artist graphic files maker at this time.

An exception is the bulk of the portraits, which were made specifically for IftU, but the artist isn’t around anymore and probably wouldn’t accede to anyone stealing her time for frivolous changes like making Galas less “feminine”.
Wesnoth needs a better contribution system. I tried to register on the contribution system but they couldn't complete their side of the registration process. I will try to spread the word about Wesnoth.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

You mean donations.

Wesnoth is not specifically looking for donations at this time, and anyway that’s all completely off-topic here because AtS is an user-made add-on campaign, not a mainline one. Same goes for every other add-on in the add-ons server.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

15+
I said fifteen thousand one hundred and thirty-seven :) . Not 15...Wesnoth is a lot more popular than that. And as I said, even 1.10 hasn't been around for a very long time. if you're playing on the newest version then... it's only been out for a few weeks!
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Scottar

Post by Scottar »

Kanzil wrote:
15+
I said fifteen thousand one hundred and thirty-seven :) . Not 15...Wesnoth is a lot more popular than that. And as I said, even 1.10 hasn't been around for a very long time. if you're playing on the newest version then... it's only been out for a few weeks!
Opps, forgot to put the K after 15.- 15K+. :doh: I thought I was playing the latest but the developers have been very busy lately. I downloaded the present version I'm using last May I believe. I may not download the latest until December. I have just dialup as I live in a semi-rural location and high speed internet is either a budget breaker or not as advertised. :(

What Centurylink needs is local wireless broadcast instead of wire interfacing. Ridiculous. :roll: Right now I am downloading a huge file~1GB, as I can't get it any other way. Will take me 2 weeks of intermittent sessions. I'm not even half done. :augh:
Arty

Post by Arty »

Thanks for the great campaign! Each scenario was made perfectly! I can't wait for the finished product.
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

shadowmaster wrote:I’m sorry to say this, but I am the only dedicated artist graphic files maker at this time. Anything that I didn’t draw was made by many other different people and not necessarily for IftU or AtS. Therefore, I’m not in position to demand any improvements or additions from them.
Outrageous! While not having any particular experience in sprite-making other than two years of lurking in the art forums, this statement makes me wonder if humble me giving it a try to delve into practice may result in viable material for the project, since some of them like inconsistently sized chaos humans or reused Desert Trapper aged badly enough to suggest that they can be improved even with lesser amount of skill, making one able to donate something to one of the game's top campaigns. Even if not turning out so shiny, my trials may inspire someone more talented and/or i earn myself some experience in the field; i'm in the mood for doing it anyway, so why not to do this such way which may be more useful than creating steam-powered dinosaur images for my awesome and entirely theoretical steam-powered jura era.

Could you at least present here a list of sprites for us which you consider as the most wanted at the moment? Thank you.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The TODO file exists. All tasks requiring new baseframes from scratch are mine for now, though, unless I can be convinced otherwise.

That list isn’t all-inclusive either — the production of non-portrait art for all scenarios post-Divergence is currently my own exclusive task and I don’t intend to change that before 0.9.0.
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

shadowmaster wrote:The TODO file exists. All tasks requiring new baseframes from scratch are mine for now, though, unless I can be convinced otherwise.

That list isn’t all-inclusive either — the production of non-portrait art for all scenarios post-Divergence is currently my own exclusive task and I don’t intend to change that before 0.9.0.
Ah, so all of those with dire need are exclusive and WIP. Understood and thank you for the quick answer. :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Yeah. The only task I can outsource at the moment and which really needs to be started ASAP is portraits, but I will be rather picky on that regard as I hinted at above.
nickanc

Post by nickanc »

I enjoyed both AtS and IftU, no bug found. Mal Keshar is simply amazing! Waiting for the end! :)