2D HTML5 medieval fantasy MMO

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cimit

2D HTML5 medieval fantasy MMO

Post by cimit »

Hi all!

I'm creating a game as a learning project to test the capabilities of HTML5 and related technologies. Hârn online, a HTML5 medieval fantasy roleplaying MMO. The main features are turn-based squad tactical combat and kingdom building.

I'm announcing here because i plan to use some graphics from Battle for Wesnoth. I am a programmer and i have no skills on art... of course, the game is free and you can get the source form GitHub.

Here is a introduction of the project: Introducing Hârn Online, a 2D HTML5 medieval fantasy MMO

At this momnet only an early prototype is developed: Hârn Online prototype

Comments please! :eng:

UPDATE: 16/10/2012 - GitHub link was worng. Now directs to the page with the source code.
Last edited by cimit on October 16th, 2012, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
Dugi

Re: 2D HTML5 medieval fantasy MMO

Post by Dugi »

You'd me more polite if you asked what do we (well, it hardly matter what do I think, it is important what the developers think) think about using wesnoth graphics. If you want to reap any money from it (as I know the browser-based MMOs, paying for the server for advantages in game), your plan is doomed.

Not sure if this is even the correct forum to post it... and this is also quite close to advertisement, but you don't have the traits of a spammer.

And by the way, you will have much less work to do if you did this all as an add-on to Wesnoth, it should not be impossible.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Dugi wrote:And by the way, you will have much less work to do if you did this all as an add-on to Wesnoth, it should not be impossible.
cimit wrote:I'm creating a game as a learning project to test the capabilities of HTML5 and related technologies.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Dugi wrote:You'd me more polite if you asked what do we (well, it hardly matter what do I think, it is important what the developers think) think about using wesnoth graphics. If you want to reap any money from it (as I know the browser-based MMOs, paying for the server for advantages in game), your plan is doomed.
I don't see why. ASking more may be more polite, and selling the product might be frowned upon by some, but as long as he releases the source to his project (which he said he would) it's entirely legal.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I don't see why. ASking more may be more polite, and selling the product might be frowned upon by some, but as long as he releases the source to his project (which he said he would) it's entirely legal.
Yes, that is allowed, but as far as I remember, we usually ask other people if we can use their graphics in our projects.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Dugi wrote:Yes, that is allowed, but as far as I remember, we usually ask other people if we can use their graphics in our projects.
As a courtesy we do, but if he is using a large amount of graphics it may be quite a task to contact all the artists involved. I think announcing the game and the use of Wesnoth art here was courteous enough, and better than what other games do. ie: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37074
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Hm, I guess you're right.
cimit

Post by cimit »

Hi all again!

First of all my apologies! It wasn't my intention to spam :augh: . I saw other similar topics at this forum, and i thought it could be a good place to announce and comunicate my intention to use the Wesnoth Graphics. If possible i'll try to give credit and ask permission each artist once i finally get a definitive version of the game (and finally decided which art will be used). For now, it's only an unplayable early prototype and i'm focusing on advance the development.

Apologies again, because the GitHub link didn't work... :doh: i know this could have a very sospicious effect... sorry. i renamed my github account. You can get the code here: Hârn online GitHub. At this moment i've not included the GPL license (unlicensed as it's not functional), i'm searching now on Google how i have to apply to the source code.

About money... :hmm: is too early to think about it. But yes, if one day i want to be a full time indie developer, i hope that i could find a way to get some funding if the game hits. No problem at this point to dedicate part of the funds to compensate the artists, create new art and graphics, buy licenses, etc.

My main interest is to meet the requirements of the Wesnoth community about using their work. And if possible, not only get but give. 8)
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

cimit wrote:My main interest is to meet the requirements of the Wesnoth community about using their work. And if possible, not only get but give. 8)
That's really all there is to it; speaking outside of license requirements, and speaking more about general intent, we want you to do two things:

1] support share-alike culture, and free-resources of stuff for people who are helpless in some skill area (because they've focused on a different one).*
2] credit our artists

* This need not necessarily be in your project in particular, but do whatever you can. The more general utility it has, the better.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
cimit

Post by cimit »

Jetrel wrote: That's really all there is to it; speaking outside of license requirements, and speaking more about general intent, we want you to do two things:

1] support share-alike culture, and free-resources of stuff for people who are helpless in some skill area (because they've focused on a different one).*
2] credit our artists
Update:

1] GPL v3 license applied to the source code. The first milestone of this project is to develop a HTML5 MMO boilerplate that everyone could use to create his own project. Once finished, i'll maintain updated at a different repository.
2] I've add an AUTHORS file to credit contributors. I found that page and linked to it: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Credits
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
currios

Post by currios »

A easier name for your game would be nice also, "Hârn Online" has a weird cahracter â not everyone is familar with it.
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

The spelling may be an intentional reference to the pencil-and-paper RPG Hârn.
cimit

Post by cimit »

zaimoni wrote:The spelling may be an intentional reference to the pencil-and-paper RPG Hârn.
Correct! :D
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
johndh

Post by johndh »

I've tried the character builder on both Firefox and Chromium, where it is cut off and I'm not able to scroll down to see most of the form, and many of the buttons seem unresponsive. :hmm:

Here's what it looks like for me:
Spoiler:
Edit: Fixed the image link.

In Firefox, to show the whole thing, I have to right-click and select "Show only this frame".
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.