New trait idea

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Glowing Fish

New trait idea

Post by Glowing Fish »

I know that new trait ideas are not exactly encouraged, and personally I am just fine with the traits we have. But I thought of an idea the other day, that could possibly allow the more powerful units into the game that some people want, without unbalancing game play.

I thought there could be a trait, where certain units were allowed an extra level of promotion. It might be rarer then the other traits, so that maybe only one of every twenty units would have it. Units with this trait could be promoted to another level, with units that normally max out at 3 being able to turn into a special Level 4 form. My idea on the Level 4 form would be that they wouldn't be substantially different, they may use most of the same graphics, but they might have a different power. For example, a Level 4 Royal Guardsman might have a Magic sword.

I like this idea because like many players, I sometimes wish I had more powerful units, but I do realize they aren't that neccesary and would just unbalance the game. However, I think this wouldn't unbalance the game because the super-promotable units wouldn't show up too often. Even in a campaign like TRoW, you might only have three or four of them by the end of the campaign.

I don't know if this plan is needed, or what it would be like to implement, but I do think it is an interesting idea.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: New trait idea

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Glowing Fish wrote:I don't know if this plan is needed, or what it would be like to implement, but I do think it is an interesting idea.
It is definitely an interesting idea, one that could even be a good trait idea. However, it would require inventing a level 4 for all units, a daunting task.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Nope, they could use most of the same graphcis, just have slightly different properties.
For example a Royal Guardsman might have a magic sword.
I'd make it Marksman myself, so it never lowers attack, but the idea is good. This guy has the trait (potential) to become really really good with his weapon of choice.
Elvish_Pillager

Circon wrote:Nope, they could use most of the same graphcis, just have slightly different properties.
How is that not inventing new level 4's?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Johann67

Post by Johann67 »

I'm not really sure that I like this idea.
Why? because I do not see what kind of extra value this idea gives.
How is this different from, say, the strong trait with regards to gameplay?
Aren't strong level 3 units already better then their not-strong counterparts?

IMO, this idea violates KISS by giving two ways to achieve one thing.
Project leader of Heroes of Ardania (http://ardania.havocaos.com/)
Circon

Post by Circon »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Circon wrote:Nope, they could use most of the same graphcis, just have slightly different properties.
How is that not inventing new level 4's?
Um, you take the royal guard and give him the marksman attribute?

Fine, fine, it's technically a new unit. but without all the blood sweat and tears that usually go into "making a new unit".
martenzo

Re: New trait idea

Post by martenzo »

Glowing Fish wrote:My idea on the Level 4 form would be that they wouldn't be substantially different, they may use most of the same graphics, but they might have a different power. For example, a Level 4 Royal Guardsman might have a Magic sword.
Good idea, but then there would have to be a level 4 for for every unit. Plus what would the extra level be for great mages, elder mage or something else. But I still like the idea and have some ideas for other level 4 units aswell:
Elvish commander (from elvish marsha, has level 4 leadeshipl)
Elvish deadshooter (from elvish sharpshooter, always inflicts a killing blow with ranged)
Elvish paladin (from elvish champion, bow is holy)
Swift haldberier (from haldberier, +2 moves and skirmisher)
Last edited by martenzo on December 14th, 2004, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathtenks

Post by Deathtenks »

Or maybe only the ones with the lvl 4 upgrades can get it? but give it instead of a *1 out of 20*chance make it a *1 out of 15* chance?

What ya think?
Victory to those who do not fear death!
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

Deathtenks wrote:Or maybe only the ones with the lvl 4 upgrades can get it? but give it instead of a *1 out of 20*chance make it a *1 out of 15* chance?

What ya think?
This makes the :cry: pain :cry: of the loss of one of these units much greater and makes it more likely that people will play poorly, get frustrated and save/load.

I don't think it improves the game except giving us a 1 in 20 chance for uber 3rd level units.

I dont' support it.

Cheers,
Fortify
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Johann67 wrote:I'm not really sure that I like this idea.
Why? because I do not see what kind of extra value this idea gives.
How is this different from, say, the strong trait with regards to gameplay?
Aren't strong level 3 units already better then their not-strong counterparts?

IMO, this idea violates KISS by giving two ways to achieve one thing.
Basically, yeah... if you want something that gives a unit a magic sword, give a trait "magic sword" that can give it a magic sword, or something... i'm not sure why it should be able to gain a level just because it has a certain trait.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
iBrow

Post by iBrow »

Okay, this is a change of topic, in that it is a different new trait, but as a new trait, it seemed better to just add it to this new trait thread than to create a new one.

Okay, in one of the stickys posted in the ideas section, is says don't propose new traits unless they are simple and non-contrived, basically, they should be similar to the ones already there in that respect. So, I think I've come up with one that fits that bill.

Accurate: +5% chance to hit

That's all it is. Simple, non-contrived. If people think 5% is too high or too low, of course that is open to debate.
Elvish_Pillager

iBrow wrote:Okay, this is a change of topic, in that it is a different new trait, but as a new trait, it seemed better to just add it to this new trait thread than to create a new one.

Okay, in one of the stickys posted in the ideas section, is says don't propose new traits unless they are simple and non-contrived, basically, they should be similar to the ones already there in that respect. So, I think I've come up with one that fits that bill.

Accurate: +5% chance to hit

That's all it is. Simple, non-contrived. If people think 5% is too high or too low, of course that is open to debate.
Ok.

All chances to hit should be in units of 10%. The chance for a unit to hit should only be based on the defender's terrain and in some cases, its special abilities. Your idea flies in the face of the Wesnoth Philosophy, and it wouldn't exactly be trivial to implement either.

That said, 5% would be a fairly balanced amount, IMO.