Optional "no planning mode" setting?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
OutOfCyan

Optional "no planning mode" setting?

Post by OutOfCyan »

Is there a way, by compiling wesnoth with a certain flag, or setting a certain option, that I can get rid of Planning Mode entirely?

Earlier today, I was playing a networked game on my LAN and somehow entered planning mode. After I disabled planning mode from the context menu, one of my units was moved to a horrible location and I was unable to undo the move.

I never, ever want to use planning mode. I don't care what it's for, I just want it gone. Is there some way I can disable it?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Optional "no planning mode" setting?

Post by ancestral »

That would be something excellent to have an option for to turn off in Preferences in game.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I really have no idea what it's for. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. That said, I think I recall entering it, fake-moving a unit, and leaving planning mode again, and the fake-move remained onscreen where I could still delete it. So I'm a little confused how you managed to make this mistake.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

It's really too easy to activate planning mode by mistake with p being the hotkey, especially if you are typing messages with other players and forget to press m. Absolute recipe for disaster.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

OutOfCyan wrote:Is there a way, by compiling wesnoth with a certain flag, or setting a certain option, that I can get rid of Planning Mode entirely?
I am pretty sure there is no such option. It might be good to find out how you accidentally turned the mode on, though. Should I assume that you already disassociated the hotkey for it? (It seems that way since you used the context menu to turn planning mode off.)

ancestral wrote:It's really too easy to activate planning mode by mistake with p being the hotkey,
Remove the hotkey if it is more problematic than helpful.
tuggyne

Post by tuggyne »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I really have no idea what it's for. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. That said, I think I recall entering it, fake-moving a unit, and leaving planning mode again, and the fake-move remained onscreen where I could still delete it. So I'm a little confused how you managed to make this mistake.
Yeah, I use Whiteboard/planning a good bit (mostly in fog/shroud, where I wouldn't be able to undo anyway), and whenever I switch out all planned moves stay planned until I hit y/Ctrl-y.

I'd think disabling the hotkey(s) would be good enough for most purposes, though. (If you include the ones for finalizing moves, you'll be even safer.)
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Perhaps it would be easier if some of the hotkeys were explained in the tutorial? Just saying they exist, and where to change/find them might be the easiest solution. It might also be good to explain planning mode as well in the tutorial, as it can be quite bewildering.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

tuggyne wrote:[...] and whenever I switch out all planned moves stay planned until I hit y/Ctrl-y.
Planned moves are also executed when you end your turn.

(Side note: In this respect, planning mode can be more convenient when giving multiturn movement orders. If you click for a multiturn move without planning mode on, the future moves are made at the start of your turn. If you turn on planning mode while plotting a mutliturn move, you have a chance to cancel it in a future turn -- before it gets executed for that turn. If you want to let the move proceed, you can just ignore it and let it execute when you end your turn.)
tuggyne

Post by tuggyne »

JaMiT wrote:
tuggyne wrote:(Side note: In this respect, planning mode can be more convenient when giving multiturn movement orders. If you click for a multiturn move without planning mode on, the future moves are made at the start of your turn. If you turn on planning mode while plotting a mutliturn move, you have a chance to cancel it in a future turn -- before it gets executed for that turn. If you want to let the move proceed, you can just ignore it and let it execute when you end your turn.)
Now that I did not know. Learn something new every day, I guess! :eng:
Olix

Post by Olix »

Planning mode is really handy in multiplayer games. When I play 2v2, its really useful for coordinating with my team mate. It's also useful for examining the Zone of Control (and where enemies can move to) after I move a bunch of units.

It could be better though. It would be nice if there was a stronger graphical representation of when it was active - for instance, replacing a lower part of the side bar with a list of all queued movements (and the order in which they execute) would be very useful.