What do you find to be the worst unit in the default era?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rigor

Re: What do you find to be the worst unit in the default era

Post by Rigor »

watbesh wrote:Goblin Spearman in Northerners is the most useless for me.
He is very fragile, and he does not have ZoC. He can advance with 2 kills, but his level-1 types are relatively fragile(26 or 31). Although he does not need upkeep, 9 gold seems too expensive for a unit with 18 HP and no ZoC.
I always use Orcish Grunt instead.

HI and Ulf are very strong unit, when they appear as enemies! :lol2: Oh, the same can go with Goblins...

i just read this blasphemy, please refer to the Wesnoth's Daily Mirror issue 9/22 to be found here:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 74#p538474

:mrgreen:
WesnothNewbie

Post by WesnothNewbie »

Rigor wrote:
watbesh wrote:Goblin Spearman in Northerners is the most useless for me.
He is very fragile, and he does not have ZoC. He can advance with 2 kills, but his level-1 types are relatively fragile(26 or 31). Although he does not need upkeep, 9 gold seems too expensive for a unit with 18 HP and no ZoC.
I always use Orcish Grunt instead.

HI and Ulf are very strong unit, when they appear as enemies! :lol2: Oh, the same can go with Goblins...

i just read this blasphemy, please refer to the Wesnoth's Daily Mirror issue 9/22 to be found here:

LOL, thanks for the link :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
In Linux Land, if you listen hard at night, you can hear the whirr of Windows machines rebooting.
watbesh

Post by watbesh »

Rigor wrote:i just read this blasphemy, please refer to the Wesnoth's Daily Mirror issue 9/22 to be found here:

I watched the replay, and now I know how goblins are strong.
I will try having some next time. :)
My MP Eras and Mods with core units and unusual gameplay (version 1.3.1 for Wesnoth 1.12)
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

For me "The Worst Unit Award" is a fight between ghost and heavy infantry. Both just cost so much given what they achieve.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
WesnothNewbie

Post by WesnothNewbie »

Colouredbox wrote:For me "The Worst Unit Award" is a fight between ghost and heavy infantry. Both just cost so much given what they achieve.
A scout is meant to be mobile and hold villages. If your opponent doesn't have any mages, or any other serious ranged units, then getting rid of ghosts is hard to do. Especially for knalgan alliance. HI, again, not the greatest unit, but they can serve purposes; they can be used to defend against blade and pierce enemies, and can punish any units standing on bad terrain (like dwarves...). As you can probably tell, KA isn't my favourite faction.
Still, both the loyalist and undead factions can fight (and win) without those two units.
In Linux Land, if you listen hard at night, you can hear the whirr of Windows machines rebooting.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

As you can probably tell, KA isn't my favourite faction.
It's mine...

The HI isn't my favorite unit by any means, mostly because of it's speed. The ghost is great once it's upgraded though. :mrgreen:
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
WesnothNewbie

Post by WesnothNewbie »

TheScribe wrote:
As you can probably tell, KA isn't my favourite faction.
It's mine...

The HI isn't my favorite unit by any means, mostly because of it's speed. The ghost is great once it's upgraded though. :mrgreen:
Nothing like having a shadow appear out of nowhere and backstab you to death eh? Fragile units without they're drain though. Wraiths can be really annoying to deal with too. I don't mind undead, although I think I will always prefer fighting with Rebels. Love the little treehuggers.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Heavy infantry are slow, but rip apart any undead, whilst ulfserkers will destroy mages and most ranged units. Every unit in Wesnoth has its use.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
WesnothNewbie

Post by WesnothNewbie »

Kanzil wrote:Heavy infantry are slow, but rip apart any undead, whilst ulfserkers will destroy mages and most ranged units. Every unit in Wesnoth has its use.
Still, they're not great attackers when undead player puts out Ghouls in front- HI do not take well to poison. And they suck against Ghosts. Now the ulf is indeed useful in that category, but it's role is still limited to finishing off wounded units- too often there is a melee unit around that will attack any exposed Ulf and crush them. In any case, I see the ulf as more of a tool than a real fighter. Probably my prefered unit in Knalgan Alliance is the Thunderer- I never really liked the fighters lack of ranged against enemies that often attack you ranged (mages, DAs, assassins etc.).
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

When playing KA and seeing ghosts, I recruit thunderers.

I think the worst default era unit is the nerfed bat.
I have a cunning plan.
WesnothNewbie

Post by WesnothNewbie »

nuorc wrote:When playing KA and seeing ghosts, I recruit thunderers.

I think the worst default era unit is the nerfed bat.
Useless as a fighting unit, but I am a fan of the bat for their ability to grab villages you wouldn't want to waste a Ghost on. Plus, they make good scouts- information is usually worth more than their 13 gold. To top it all off, they can fnish off injured units hiding behind the lines (often the enemy can't see them due to FoW). But yes, it probably has the least fighting power to gold ratio of any wesnoth unit.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

WesnothNewbie wrote:
Colouredbox wrote:For me "The Worst Unit Award" is a fight between ghost and heavy infantry. Both just cost so much given what they achieve.
A scout is meant to be mobile and hold villages. If your opponent doesn't have any mages, or any other serious ranged units, then getting rid of ghosts is hard to do. Especially for knalgan alliance. HI, again, not the greatest unit, but they can serve purposes; they can be used to defend against blade and pierce enemies, and can punish any units standing on bad terrain (like dwarves...). As you can probably tell, KA isn't my favourite faction.
Still, both the loyalist and undead factions can fight (and win) without those two units.
And that's why I don't like ghosts. You pretty much need to know that your opponent is knalgan alliance or you just used 20 gold to a low damage unit that really hurts your rushing capabilities.
Also 7 movement instead of bats 8... meh...

I know the HI can be used effectively in some situations, but 19 gold for that kind of unit is really high.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
WesnothNewbie

Post by WesnothNewbie »

And that's why I don't like ghosts. You pretty much need to know that your opponent is knalgan alliance or you just used 20 gold to a low damage unit that really hurts your rushing capabilities.
Also 7 movement instead of bats 8... meh...

I know the HI can be used effectively in some situations, but 19 gold for that kind of unit is really high.
One should always recruit scouting units with high mobility depending on map size, and the bat has even less power than the ghost in that respect. If you don't, your enemy would eventually overwhelm you with sheer numbers, as they will have more villages than you.
I usually play knowing what faction I'm facing, and with a lot more gold than the "normal" 100 (I prefer 350-450 ish, depending on maps). I never really liked very small matches that are like "Oh HI are much better against undead, but should I recuit a spearmen right now because I can't pay the extra 5 or 6 gold for the HI/mage?". Just my play style I guess; still used to campaigns where I have masses of gold and big battles to fight. In my opinion, big battles are more fun; you see more unit variation and the tactics are more challenging because retreating units for example, really requires you to think. Just my two pennyworth.
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

For me is the elven fish.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

the elven fish hunter is super useless. sometimes when i feel very funny i recruit it but its survival rate compared to damage output is just too ridiculous, even during the "power phase". its incredible it counts as lvl1. when u compare units that the fish is supposed to hunt, those are griphs, ghosts, bats, all kinds of drakes, naga and loyalist fishes. and eeeeeeeeeeeevery single of these units has a high chance to avoid punishment respectively just attack themselves in return AND kill the elvish hunter. he is pretty damn useless with his unreliable 3 attacks, that is, 3 strikes a max. 18 dmg, but mostly 3 strikes a 12 dmg maximum. mostly u get 8 dmg in when u r lucky and the fish hit twice. perhaps a special, poisonous or dextrous attack or a change of concept would help here. btw, watch the news and statistical evaluation of the PYRA tournament, where the most used ad the most unused units will be transferred into a list. heres the link: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 85#p539685