Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by zookeeper »

vultraz wrote:The tips of his 'shoes' (for lack of a better word) look really weird with those twirly thingies.
Well, they're sabatons, which apparently pretty commonly had long tapered tips during some medieval/renaissance periods.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Yup, that's them. Based on what information I could gather, the long tip was meant to prevent a rider's foot from sliping out of the stirrups. In the king's case, it it not entirely unlikely that he would occasionnaly ride to war, so I included them. But anyway, they won't be seen ingame.

Also, I think the left leg problem is caused by a misplacement of the foot. I'll see if I can fix it.

Edit : first painting stage for Owaec. I think the pose and outfit are pretty much there, but colour-wise it might end up rather dull. It's okay if he's more soldier than nobility, though, but if need be I can add regalia on the harness or a bit of coloured cloth somewhere.
@Zookeeper : let me know if this kind of armour is alright or if it's too much for the far-off outpost feel you were looking for. Also, is there any interest in doing an alternate portrait where he has his weapon in hand ?
Attachments
Wesnoth_owaec-study.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

More progress on the EI cast: early painting stage for Dacyn. This time, I went ahead and worked in the lines beforehand, so you'd have a better notion of what the finished portrait will be like.
Attachments
Wesnoth_dacyn-study.jpg
alluton

Post by alluton »

Looks great. Tought in-game he is completly white so those blue parts may look a bit inconsistant then. But I don't see any major flaws.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Edit : first painting stage for Owaec. I think the pose and outfit are pretty much there, but colour-wise it might end up rather dull. It's okay if he's more soldier than nobility, though, but if need be I can add regalia on the harness or a bit of coloured cloth somewhere.
@Zookeeper : let me know if this kind of armour is alright or if it's too much for the far-off outpost feel you were looking for. Also, is there any interest in doing an alternate portrait where he has his weapon in hand ?
Well, it'll work well enough, although I did originally have something a bit less high-tech in mind; less plate, more maille and/or scale, more Rohan than Gondor. Maybe simpler (and/or less) barding for the horse?

Dacyn is looking good overall, and I don't think the blue is any sort of a problem really.

EDIT: I don't think Owaec needs an alt with the weapon in hand. It's a very active pose as it is, and seems to already fit the kind of action dialogue where such an alt would be used.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed - there's really no concern over something as minor as a white mage having some blue on him. The scheme fits very nicely, and he looks great. I love the hair style.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Dacyn looks great. Thanks for making my pathetic attempts at any art look even worse.^_^ A small suggestion would be to put some sort of symbol on the cover of the book. (yes, I realize that's not the finished product)

Looks kinda like my avatar...
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

In this case, let met aside the earlier version (there'll be a use for it eventually) and instead propose this revised design : mostly chainmail, a few lone plates and some hard-boiled leather.
Another question comes to mind regarding Owaec : is he actually a soldier of the wesnothian army, or some mercenary/local lord who happens to join Gweddry in his task ? From this will depend the colours that he wears.
Attachments
Wesnoth_owaec-study.jpg
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:In this case, let met aside the earlier version (there'll be a use for it eventually) and instead propose this revised design : mostly chainmail, a few lone plates and some hard-boiled leather.
Very nice! I like that design a lot.
LordBob wrote:Another question comes to mind regarding Owaec : is he actually a soldier of the wesnothian army, or some mercenary/local lord who happens to join Gweddry in his task ? From this will depend the colours that he wears.
He's a local lesser lord, or a son of a lord, or something along those lines, but not a soldier or a mercenary. In any case, he's at the northern outpost because Haldric had commanded him there, not because they are originally his lands. The intro says he's "a clan noble", but I don't think the horse clans really have much nobility of their own. So, the way I like to see that is that he's a lesser lord or a son of a greater horse lord, and when Haldric picked him to take command of the northern outpost, he gained some kind of a simple title and became a representative of the crown rather than just a local horse lord. While the horse lords are still subservient to the crown, they're not part of the wesnothian army as such and thus horse lords acting under orders from the crown would likely keep their own armour and colours of their house while wearing the colours or sigil of Wesnoth on some additional garment (like a cape or tunic).
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Clan noble it is, then. It'll allow for a welcome change of the trademark white/red tabard, while adding colour to an otherwise dull scheme.
In the meantime, here's the finished Dacyn portrait. As we'd discussed, I went for (relatively) practical clothes fit for traveling, l yet rich enough to show his status as a court advisor.
Attachments
Wesnoth_dacyn-study.jpg
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

LordBob your are amazing :shock:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Dacyn is really great. Can't wait to see Mal-Ravanal!
gabbro

Post by gabbro »

peanut gallery here, re: Dacyn, when I look at the staff shaft (and it's thickness), I don't expect it to touch the ground that far behind him. Seem like it should be more parallel with his feet.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Me likes the previous (less detailed) version of Dacyn more.
Main suspects are the little lighter dots above the eyebrows and the less dark shadows on the face.

Also there seems to be something strange about the straightness of both arms, more so in the latest version.
gabbro wrote:peanut gallery here, re: Dacyn, when I look at the staff shaft (and it's thickness), I don't expect it to touch the ground that far behind him. Seem like it should be more parallel with his feet.
I guess the left arm geometry (e.g. the way the fur-lined sleeve curves over the arm) does not suggest that the hand is so much back, and some shading might contribute to that effect.
Whatever, the lower end of the staff will not be visible anyway.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Dwarven_Void

Post by Dwarven_Void »

Amazing work on Dacyn!