Jump to Game State

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Srovex

Jump to Game State

Post by Srovex »

An idea for observing games in multiplayer.
I have often observed games and this little flaw has bugged me mutch. When watching large games (big 2 on 2 maps for example) on turn 43/60 or something similar, It takes many minutes to get to current game state. That is not a problem when you are watching it first time but if you quit to lobby to see if there is any new games forming up and than want to get back to observe the same game, you'll have to watch the game allover again.. after 2 or 4 times this could really start annoy you.(try it if you don't belive ;) )

As I said, it is just an idea so you don't have to bash me if this all ready exist in game and I so stupid that I haven't found it. And after all, this is my first post at the forums :)

thx for the replies
So says S
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Actually this is a very annoying part of observing. In fact I'll never observe a game that's more than 5 or 6 turns because it's such a pain to wait and watch the game progress. But, often times I am interested in checking out a game that might be a 20-turn deep 2v2 battle. Couldn't there be an option to jump into the current turn?
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I'd like to see this too.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

As would I. It's been discussed before, and generally everyone agrees that it would be good but nothing happens.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

There are some ideas we have to make this happen, however unfortunately there are also technical difficulties associated with them....

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Couldn't the user just download the whole turns and jump right into action? Well I am not a programmer but this seems not so diffcult in my view.
ryn

Post by ryn »

This could easily be done if Wesnoth first computes current position and then displays it. I haven´t looked at the code for a while but this shouldn't be a problem. I also second the idea.
2B |! 2B = 3F