The ghosts of flame wars past

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

I really begin to like it - the image looks more defined and captures the spirit of the original Shadow well - but I have two points:

- claws are too symmetric. I think the shadow would look scarier if one were a bit lower than the other. He almost looks like he's praying... :)

- does a shadow cast a shadow? Wouldn't have thought so... then what is this "smudge" doing around his base (and the base of the spectre)? It looks quite out of proportion compared to the rest of the shadows as well. If it's supposed to be mist, well then make it lighter, and try to give it some more (wispy) texture, it isn't coming out yet.

Heh, I'm not a graphics artist, I'm a perfectionist :P .
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well, as a fan of the old shadow, I must say jetryl, I like it.
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

I think this new Shadow looks quite good. I prefer it to the old one because it is in a syle similar to the rest of the Ghost line. I like the blue coloring as well.

Perhaps bigger claws and/or positioning them so that the claws hang down (as in he's ready to slash/grab in an up-down motion) might be a good alteration?

Or perhaps extending an arm out or up to give him a more active appearance?

Just suggestions...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Rhuvaen wrote:claws are too symmetric. I think the shadow would look scarier if one were a bit lower than the other. He almost looks like he's praying... :)
oh, he's preying all right.
(I'll take a look at it)
Rhuvaen wrote:does a shadow cast a shadow? Wouldn't have thought so... then what is this "smudge" doing around his base (and the base of the spectre)? It looks quite out of proportion compared to the rest of the shadows as well. If it's supposed to be mist, well then make it lighter, and try to give it some more (wispy) texture, it isn't coming out yet.
It's not supposed to be mist, it's supposed to be unlight. The thing floating above is evil enough that it does not cast a shadow, rather it casts something else - the opposite of light (which a shadow is not - a shadow is simply the abscence of light).

This is why it is much bigger than a normal shadow, and is not cast on the ground - it spreads on it like light from a lantern would.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Jetryl wrote:It's not supposed to be mist, it's supposed to be unlight. The thing floating above is evil enough that it does not cast a shadow, rather it casts something else - the opposite of light (which a shadow is not - a shadow is simply the abscence of light).

This is why it is much bigger than a normal shadow, and is not cast on the ground - it spreads on it like light from a lantern would.
I love the concept, but I think that the subtlety would be lost on the average player.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
scott

Post by scott »

Yes, but there is a lot of subtlety elsewhere such as in unit balancing and terrain placement. People obsess over one or two pixels. Maybe people subconsciously pick up on the subtlety. I think if it's good, then it's good.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

scott wrote:if it's good, then it's good.
And since it's good, it's therefore good.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

any unit should be noticeable in every terrain...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

tigrezno wrote:any unit should be noticeable in every terrain...
can you give us an example (i.e. composite image) of where this is not noticeable? or are you just spouting nonsense to get this rejected because you don't like it? :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
vartagh

Post by vartagh »

ACE WORK!! :D :D :D
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

The nightgaunt need some work, see it over mountains, it's very difficult to locate.
Attachments
example2.jpg
example2.jpg (24.94 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
Elvish_Pillager

tigrezno wrote:The nightgaunt need some work, see it over mountains, it's very difficult to locate.
I have no problem seeing units, since I play with HP bar displaying activated. :roll:

It's also a Shadow, not a Nightgaunt.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
tigrezno wrote:The nightgaunt need some work, see it over mountains, it's very difficult to locate.
I have no problem seeing units, since I play with HP bar displaying activated. :roll:

It's also a Shadow, not a Nightgaunt.
A shadow, it's correct, sorry.

So, are you saying you can play with a unit like this? it have a HP bar so you can see it over any terrain :)

[edit] it's only an example, nothing relevant on jetryl's shadow.
Attachments
exampl2.png
exampl2.png (26.95 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
Elvish_Pillager

tigrezno wrote:So, are you saying you can play with a unit like this? it have a HP bar so you can see it over any terrain :)

[edit] it's only an example, nothing relevant on jetryl's shadow.
Yup. :D

Myself, I also use the ellipses beneath units, and even the Shadow isn't quite that invisible.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Is that the new (blue) version? It doesn't look very blue. Perhaps some red eyes or claws could enhance the contrast on mountains...