Assassin Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

wait for the next version; the current one is incompatible with 0.8.3.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Invisible Philosopher wrote:Gafgarion, I would like this campaign to be in the new campaign format (information here). I'm unwilling to use a campaign that puts files all over the place. I could convert it for you, but you'd have to be willing to adapt to a new format. :) It's really not that different for actually making scenarios.
I personally find the new campaign format sloppy and unintuitive, it requires a lot of tweaks in WML to get the game to load it properly (keep in mind that my working version includes a bunch of multiplayer maps and a new era).

The format it's in currently is the only format I've found that auto-installs without problems... :oops: So if you're willing to tweak the code and directories in such a way that it loads and installs properly and still conforms to the new campaign format guidelines then I'd be most appreciative of the effort!
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
sanna

Post by sanna »

Well, this is how I tweaked it to get it to run on 0.8.3, if anyone is interested in using it. (Note, I have not yet used the new 'check both user and main directory path-prefix (@...., since I haven't got 0.8.4 yet)

Also, since I haven't figured out how to use an image from the campaign image directory as an icon, I changed that icon to the orc slayer... :(
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

sanna wrote:Also, since I haven't figured out how to use an image from the campaign image directory as an icon, I changed that icon to the orc slayer... :(
You use [binary_path] before the #ifdef CAMPAIGN_ASSASSIN or whatever it is called for this campaign.
I use it in the Sea Voyage campaign, if you don't understand what i mean (which wouldn't be suprising, i'm not sure I understand it. :) )
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
sanna

Post by sanna »

turin wrote:You use [binary_path] before the #ifdef CAMPAIGN_ASSASSIN or whatever it is called for this campaign.
I use it in the Sea Voyage campaign, if you don't understand what i mean (which wouldn't be suprising, i'm not sure I understand it. :) )
I was chicken to do that since I was afraid that that might mess up other campaigns. So what will then happen if two user campaigns use binary_path OUTSIDE the #ifdef? Will both be added or will the second one overwrite the first? Well, I try it (I do have Sea Voyage installed also), and see. :)

EDIT: Well, I moved it outside and I can still see the icon for both Sea Voyage and Assassin, so I guess it works.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

sanna wrote:
turin wrote:You use [binary_path] before the #ifdef CAMPAIGN_ASSASSIN or whatever it is called for this campaign.
I was chicken to do that since I was afraid that that might mess up other campaigns. So what will then happen if two user campaigns use binary_path OUTSIDE the #ifdef? Will both be added or will the second one overwrite the first? Well, I try it (I do have Sea Voyage installed also), and see. :)

EDIT: Well, I moved it outside and I can still see the icon for both Sea Voyage and Assassin, so I guess it works.
this is because binary path (AFAIK) just adds to the list of paths, it doesn't overwrite it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

hmmm.... It crashes on me at the treasure scenario. Otherwise i like it! Oh btw, what is the meaning of the question at the start of the first scenario?
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Burnsaber wrote:Oh btw, what is the meaning of the question at the start of the first scenario?
If you choose strength you can recruit Thugs; if you choose stealth you can recruit Thiefs.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I like his campaign. Any chance it'll be updated and/or finished soon?
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Er...stupid question:

Where can I download this campaign? It sounds cool but can't find it on the server or Wiki...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Temuchin Khan wrote:I like his campaign. Any chance it'll be updated and/or finished soon?
doubtful... gafgarion doesn't seem to be around.
The World of Orbivm
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

turin wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote:I like his campaign. Any chance it'll be updated and/or finished soon?
doubtful... gafgarion doesn't seem to be around.
I read the forums daily (and yet somehow I missed the fact that my campaign's thread got a bump... I sometimes wonder if I need glasses), I just don't have the time to post very often anymore. I wish I did as I really love Wesnoth and it's community, but I've been so busy lately :(

I was actually speaking to Jetryl about my campaign yesterday. I was at a loss for one of the levels later in the campaign... I wanted to provide more of a variety in enemy units, but have them still be cohesive and believable. I was considering just cutting the level and rewritting the storyline, but Jetryl's new Mermen (and, alternatively, Naga) lines have provided me with the marine foes that I was so desperately in need of.

I have a long roadtrip that I'll be going on in late December through mid January, I had planned on finishing the campaign then... The problem I've found is that there are a lot of new WML things that I'm having trouble understanding (specifically why my unit preprocessor is not working), and I have forgotten some of the things I used to know.
On the plus side I have all the dialogue written and a firm outline of each level.

I wish I could be more firm when progress will be made... but as has been shown by my previous efforts on this campaign, I tend to have real life interfere often and I am prone to get off-track.

I also must apologize for not providing my promised updates. They are done, but I really don't feel that they are of release quality.
As we speak, however, I am implementing all the wonderful new features that have been provided for campaign development by Wesnoth's diligent programmers (campaign description, preview graphic, etc).
-Gafgarion
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

I suppose I'll throw out the problem I'm having and see if any campaign designers (or those knowledgeable in WML in general) could give me a hand.

When attempting to load my campaign I get this error: "The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Unit not found: 'Trapper Elite'"

The reason why I'm frustrated is that I never had this error before the new campaign format.
Here is the contents of my scenario file, found in wesnoth/data/campaigns/AssassinCampaign.cfg (found in the preferences in Mac OS X. Wesnoth/data/campaigns in the Preferences section of the library is where all content from the Campaign server is put as well)

Code: Select all

[campaign]
	id=assassin_campaign
	name="Assassin of Circumstance"
	icon=desperado-attack2.png
	first_scenario=assassin_recruit
	difficulties=EASY,NORMAL,HARD
	difficulty_descriptions=&neutral-thug.png,Cut Throat,(easiest);&neutral-outlaw.png,Mercenary;&orc-slayer.png,Master Assassin,(hardest)
	description= _ "A ruined childhood, an illegitimate trade, an unknown enemy; Guide Maldwyn and his associates to safety and help them reconcile with their pasts."
	define=CAMPAIGN_ASSASSIN

[/campaign]

[binary_path]
path=data/campaigns/AssassinCampaign
[/binary_path]

[+units]
{@campaigns/AssassinCampaign/units}
[/units]

{@campaigns/AssassinCampaign/images}

#ifdef CAMPAIGN_ASSASSIN

{@campaigns/AssassinCampaign}

{@campaigns/AssassinCampaign/maps}

{@campaigns/AssassinCampaign/scenarios}

#endif
Trapper Elite is found in userdata/data/campaigns/AssassinCampaign/units/TrapperElite.cfg. This is the contents of TrapperElite.cfg:

Code: Select all

[unit]
name=Trapper Elite
race=human
profile=maldwyn.png
image=neutral-trapper.png
image_defensive=neutral-trapper-defend.png
hitpoints=45
movement_type=smallfoot
movement=5
experience=60
level=2
alignment=neutral
advanceto=Desperado
cost=26
usage=archer
unit_description="Raised by mercenaries, Maldwyn knows the ins and outs of the assassination/bodyguard business, but still must prove his worth to his peers."
   #Poachers are better than normal units at woods and swamps
   [defense]
   forest=40
   swamp water=50
   [/defense]
get_hit_sound=groan.wav
	[attack]
	name=dagger
	type=blade
	range=short
	damage=4
	number=4
		[frame]
		begin=-100
		end=100
		image=neutral-trapper-attack.png
		[/frame]
	[/attack]

[attack]
	name=bow
	type=pierce
	range=long
	damage=6
	number=4
		[sound]
		time=-100
		sound=firearrow.wav
		[/sound]

[sound]
		time=0
		sound=arrow-hit.wav
		sound_miss=arrow-miss.wav
		[/sound]

[missile_frame]
		begin=-100
		end=0
		image=missile-n.png
		image_diagonal=missile-ne.png
		[/missile_frame]

[frame]
		begin=-400
		end=-250
		image=neutral-trapper-attack1.png
		[/frame]
		[frame]
		begin=-250
		end=-100
		image=neutral-trapper-attack2.png
		[/frame]
	[/attack]
[/unit]
Since this problem was never present before, my hunch is that I have an error in my preprocessor WML. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm open to them. Also, if looking at the campaign in its entirety would help any of you debug, I'd be more than happy to send it to you.
-Gafgarion
scott

Post by scott »

name= _ "Trapper Elite"
id=Trapper Elite

It needs gettextification for 0.8.3+ compatability.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

scott wrote:name= _ "Trapper Elite"
id=Trapper Elite

It needs gettextification for 0.8.3+ compatability.
Oh man, I had forgotten about the blasted GetText! I will quickly make all my stuff conform with Gettext now.

id's... I had forgotten that units require IDs now... God I feel stupid. It get's through the unit-related error message now.
It does give more errors, but I imagine that I can figure them out myself.
Thank you very much for the help, and I won't hesitate to call on the aid of the WML Gods in case I fall atray again.
-Gafgarion