Metal for Wesnoth

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Saahnebrei

Metal for Wesnoth

Post by Saahnebrei »

i was just reading the music-developement threads. no electrical guitars allowed in wesnoth. :cry:
i had the idea to record some metal-versions of some of the wesnoth-tunes.
if i finish one, i'll tell you.
maybe some people would like an altenative style of music, keeping those nice melodies, but played with distorted guitars and stuff.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Metal for Wesnoth

Post by ancestral »

Although metal might not fit in with the style of mainline Wesnoth music, it could still be pretty cool. Might be fun to play along with, and UMC authors could use always it. (I’m generally a fan of remixes and mashups.)

Welcome to the forums!
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Metal in Wesnoth, that would appeal to me... However, not sure if that would appeal to people who play my add-on :lol2:

Btw, there are also metal bands playing under GPL and I never read of anybody using it, maybe there are statistics that less than a certain percentage of Wesnoth players listen to metal, dunno.
Saahnebrei

Post by Saahnebrei »

if someone is interested in that "metal for wesnoth"-thing, i already started to learn how to play some of the themes on my guitar.
i'm going to play versions of:

1) mäin theme
2) fräntic
3) breäking the chäins
4) legends öf the nörth
5) träveling ministrels
6) casualties öf war
7) still anöther wanderer

look,look. they've already grown some "rock-dots".

i think they are the "songs" that are easiest to adapt.
it's grrreeeaaaaat fun to rock on these themes.
i wonder if the original authors will like it.

all the wesnoth music is very good, but my favorites are the ones by M. Westlund.

and: please don't expect too much. i'm only semi-professional :whistle:

should this thread been called "Mattle for Wesnoth" ???
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Saahnebrei wrote: 2) fräntic
This sounds like cool name for metal band.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

If/when you finish one or more, are you planning to upload them to the add-on server?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Saahnebrei

Post by Saahnebrei »

hey. some people seem to be interested. thank you.
i'm still working on that music. i've had some tecnical trouble recording the drums, that's why it all takes so long. now i go for the guitars.
yes, the aim is to get these things on the add-on-server. (if it meets wesnoth's extremly high standards of quality)
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Metal for BfW sounds good! :twisted:

Sorry all music contribs, but I always turn it off in BfW. My playlist for battle is a little different...
I have a cunning plan.
gooby

Post by gooby »

I totally second this and have toyed with the idea of replacing the standard music on my system with appropriate metal. Like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqvqgGOW6I
Saahnebrei

Post by Saahnebrei »

Ooops. I've just been listening to the music behind your links, Gooby and Nuorc, which is - no doubt - metal. Now my problem is, that, when i started to think about my project, i thought that what would come out would be a kind of heavy metal, but now, that i've already recorded the drums, bass, and rythmical guitars i found out that it should be called something like "1970's-psychedelic-rock-with-a-little-neill-young-and-pink-floyd-in-it-combined-with-hardrock-and-powerchords-and-some-1980's-stuff-like-the-cure-which-is-definitley-NO-metal-but-i-have-a-lot-of-fun-but-i-don't-use-a-double-bassdrum-grunge-or-insert-any-style-you-like-with-a-"post"-in-it's-name for Wesnoth", instead of "Metal for Wesnoth", which is a ...hmmm... more "catchy" claim (?) than that mutant thing above, mainly because of the similar pronounciation of "Metal" and "Battle", so I'M TERRIBLY SORRY , if you are some kind of metal-purists, but if you are interested in music based on electrical guitars i n g e n e r a l ,please keep on keeping on being patient, what is what i'm doing, as recording these versions of those wesnoth-tunes turned out to be hard work, but i'm still with (in?) it. Sorry, i'm not a native-english-speaker. :)
Saahnebrei

Post by Saahnebrei »

and:
Saahnebrei wrote: ...the aim is to get these things on the add-on-server....
is meant in a sense of "it would be a great honour to me to start one day the game and, clicking on the "add-ons"-button, find something like "Saahnebrei's Metal for Wesnoth" in it.... 8)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I suggest you to upload or give us links to your creations. Although I listen to different things than the kind of music you made according to your post, it would still be interesting to listen to.
Saahnebrei

Post by Saahnebrei »

Dugi wrote:I suggest you to upload or give us links to your creations
i'll do, once it's finished. but it's still work in progress...
Saahnebrei

Post by Saahnebrei »

So many forums to read....
I just stumbled over this entry by TimothyP :
My music content is not open to be reused or rehashed by anyone. If that's the case, pull my music out. I maintain all rights for my music and will not allow anyone to mess with or mod it. I understand that the code in Wesnoth is open "source" (as in source code), but my musical notes and recording are my property.

Please clarify this for me. If my music is considered free for all to mess with, I'm done with this project. If I keep all rights, then keep it in the game.
So I cannot do a coverversion of "Still another wanderer" , telling the world that it's a GPL'ed modified version of a GPL'ed musical piece by TimothyP , when all i want to do is :
- waste my time playing guitar
- celebrate the 10th anniversary of BfW (which is now in 2013)
- have fun
- absolutely not earn money or what
- do NOT use it not even to promote myself, but rather to promote Wesnoth AND the music of TimothyP

I like the "song" very much and the "metal for wesnoth"-version of it is going to feature my sister, playing the flute and my nephew playing the didgeridoo.

Strange World.

I guess Timothy doesn't even like Didgeridoos... :? :?

Maybe I should start with asking the authors of the themes (TimothyP, M. Westlund, Aleksi, Tylor J.) for permission. I'm not very into that legal stuff, but - as I'm not SonyBGM nor nothing, just s o m e o n e - i meanI'm not a bad guy "messing with" something . I'd like to do coverversions i a "A Tribute to BfW (and it's gamemusic)"-style.

Please help.
Please apologize for me existing.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Saahnebrei wrote:Please help.
Please apologize for me existing.
I'm not a lawyer or a musician, but I know that M. Westlund ("West" on these forums) was a very approachable contributor, and would most likely be happy to know if you were covering his songs (though I can't speak for him). But I don't think he cruises these forums, so he likely won't see your post. The same goes for the other contributors, I don't mean to single out West (I think Tyler is also still relatively "active", and who knows, TimothyP might also respond). If you have specific questions, ask the composer via forum PM or via email.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects