Rise of the Dragon King (Campaign Storyline)

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cswiftcomposer

Rise of the Dragon King (Campaign Storyline)

Post by Cswiftcomposer »

Got an idea for a serious storyline campaign. I'm thinking maybe 20-25 scenarios. Want it to be full of artwork and lots of portraits (currently producing concept art). Also, me being a serious movie music composer am currently conceptualizing themes and ideas for the large amount of music I currently desire to use

(StoryLine). "The Rise of the Dragon King"

It is currently the year 353 YW, right at the start of the first Dark Age. On the far reaches of Wesnoth, far outside of Elensefar, A young son of a warlord, Jalin has been made fatherless as his warlord father, Oris Zakmos was slayed in battle by an opposing warlord who has revolted against Oris, Jalin and the R'tia, (A roaming, tribal band of humans similar to the Huns). The Evil warlord Arkiimsa Vaxmos, calling himself the "Dragon Warrior" has found and is in possession of the Staff of Light, a sceptor capable of summoning the powers of the "Nine Great Dragons" from within the staff and using it to conquer his enemies with ease. The "Nine Great Dragons" were the highest power figures of Wesnoth during the ancient years before human colonization. They lived for millenia until one by one shriveled into dust over time, (dragons aged too). Each dragon had magical powers that easily made magicians like Delfador look like amateurs. Jalin becomes warlord of his tribe and begins to join with other factions to put and end to Arkiimsa's reign of terror. The Campaign lasts for five years in the story.

(I need ideas for characters, units, and powers/attacks. Feel free to critique and help if you desire.)
terrorbot276

Re: Rise of the Dragon King (Campaign Storyline)

Post by terrorbot276 »

This sounds really cool. It's got an engaging plot and interesting characters. I would definitely play this.
If you want, I might be able to come up with some units/special powers. I have some experience creating them.
Cswiftcomposer

Post by Cswiftcomposer »

absolutely. come up with what you can I'd love to see you can do, and also, (I'm new here) see who else u think might be interested.
Some Power Ideas
(These Stem from the Nine Dragons, Each one has an element, some natural, some unatural.1 Fire, 2 Air, 3 Water, 4 Stone, 5 Crystal, 6 Light,7 Space (Or some extraterrestrial ties), 8 Mental or Telekinesis, 9 Darkness/Shadow/Night
This will probably call for some intense map locations.

Also Some Art of these dragons would be incredible to use on a story board. I think a lot of art due to the amount of powers and detailed storyline would be pretty much necessary to make this campaign the compelling story that it could be.
Character Ideas

Vaxmos needs to be in I would say three phases or costumes/unit type. 1 a simple warlord costume phase, 2. A Dragon Battle Armor phase 3. A Dragon Archmage phase. (this will give a good feel that Vaxmos is rising in power.
The main Character and the rest can have just one costume/unit
Other than my specially created tribe of people i think just simple elves, dwarves, and those water dragon things (forget what they're called) would be sufficient for that whole reuniting of other tribes.
Also I think some original music for this campaign would be awesome.
I also could use some extra writers to help flesh out the story and history a little more

Anyway thanks for the Offer, Looking forward to seeing your work. (I'm gonna work on a few maps as well as some more character bios and stuff.)
terrorbot276

Post by terrorbot276 »

I'll see what I can think of.
terrorbot276

Post by terrorbot276 »

I have some ideas for the Staff of Light. I'm thinking when Vaxmos attacks with it, the game gets a random number of 1-9. You assign a dragon to each number, and the effect of the staff is different. For example, if he attacks and it rolls an earth dragon, the victim is petrified. Not sure if this is too powerful for what you're thinking, so just tell me if it won't work.

For units, what would you like me to do? I can program them, come up with some ideas for cool units, or just help with whatever you've got.

I'll also see if I can get some story suggestions from my friends. A lot of us have written small books before for NaNoWriMo, so they should have some ideas.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I like this idea- maybe you could tie it in with existing campaigns. For example the dragon from "The Legend of the Invincibles" called Nilfhelm could be the ice dragon, or there could be a skeletal dragon like Khrakrahs from EI.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Cswiftcomposer

Post by Cswiftcomposer »

I really do like that 1-9 dice roll for the staff. That's a real creative thought!. and for those two existing dragons definately look into their history if you can, that would be a good historial tie if we could make those associations work.

for Units. I would like my invented race to have at least these classes that can be recruited, the others can sit on basic settings (normal elf and dwarf classes). From lowest to highest "all that don't have descriptions next to them are classic human medieval weapon attacks" (warrior, phalanx, Alchemist (heals and performs a nature magic spell "undecided"), Knight, Legion General, Commander, Premiere Mage (Can only be bought once during the course of the scenario and cannot be healed, attacks though, must cost violent damage to enemy, two attacks: Shimmer: (needs a sound like a high, loud twinkle, looks like a bright blue light shooting up from the mage): major damage but critical damage to all arcane, and Fire Star: demolishes the mage himself and everything within 8-10 hexagons: (Needs a really cool sound like a synthesized whistling, rumbling explosion and basically a fiery nuclear effect)
The warlords themselves (there are a few others in the story including the main character.) will have attacks called flurry and archery command, flurry is your basic sword thrust whirlwind, archery command however is a cloud of arrows coming from the warlords personal archers (basically a wesnoth version of an air-strike), archers aren't seen and the arrows fly from behind the unit. Both of these have also very costly damage.

There will be five chapters in the campaign, each chapter is at least 5 combat scenarios and 1 year in the story not including some story scenes.

Outline

Chapter 1. Rebirth (Vaxmos is not involved yet, you must conquer small, outer-rim villages and tribal settlements around you to gain the trust of your people, gather troops and gain power and land for the battle against evil. In the Final scenario of this chapter, you come across three Legendary Magi encamped in ancient ruins, who upon learning of Vaxmos decide to aid you, giving you battle advice/tips (you're still young) as well as information on an artifact called the Great Seal which could reverse the Staff of Light's power.)

Chapter 2. Faith and Trust (You must gain the trust of other races, Woose, Dwarves etc. by eliminating small threats/barbarian hordes for them to trust your worthiness as a leader.)

Chapter 3. The Heart of an Elf ( To gain the trust of the Great Forest Elves, the major elf encampment in the land, you must complete more worthiness tests, when you start, the Elf Lord assigns aid from a female archer, an elf woman named Aricadel, who captures your love interest over four scenarios as partners. In the fifth Scenario, Vaxmos and his men ambush you (while ur on a mission) and he kills her with the Staff of Light, you escape with barely your life. When you return, heartbroken, the Magi give you the location of the Great Seal, it's down in the caves underneath the Great Forest called the Iron Halls.

Chapter 4. The Crystal Caverns (you must go through five scenarios, through an ancient underground Magic Academy overrun now with rodents, spiders,etc. and a Firebrand Drake (doesn't necessarily have to be a new invented drake unit) guarding the Great Seal (a jewel covered sheild.) You then return to the Great Forest.)

Chapter 5. Revenge, Bloody Revenge (You lead your final combined troops against Vaxmos. He uses the Staff a few times during turns but because "it attacks but does not protect" as the Magi Legends pointed out earlier He is constantly disappearing each of the first four scenarios. You continually fight Vaxmos' army all the way back to his Castle Keep, where you are engaged in a 1v1 duel with Vaxmos, The Mages stand behind you and shield you from the power of the staff while you attack him. Eventually, He Summons all His might and stabs himself with the staff. This causes his physical body to be infused with the staff. He projects a massive flame of all the dragons combined magic at you. You present the Seal as a shield and a giant flash of light fades us out of the scene.)
(A post campaign storyboard shows the our heroes final destiny as king of the R'tia and as the most influential leader of his time in later years.

-The End

(Writers, this is my storyline, anything that you can add, character names, places, and a history of the seal and the staff would be greatly appreciated,)

Thanks
Last edited by Cswiftcomposer on June 28th, 2012, 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cswiftcomposer

Post by Cswiftcomposer »

The Crystal Caverns chapter I want to be all dungeon exploration for the main character, he has a set group of units helping him on his quest . So, basically, Dungeons, Wesnoth style. I'm gonna need writers to help give a history of this Magic Academy as well, it's called Argis Academy. Also the quote from the Magi "The Staff attacks and kills but does not protect." is important (it gives a sense of hope)
terrorbot276

Post by terrorbot276 »

I love the Premiere mage; it's going to be a challenge, but I think I can start working on it. For the other units I'll see if I can get something coded. Also, I can start on the staff, but that should take a while to get perfected.

I have almost no artistic ability. Is there anyone who could draw some images for the units?

Whatever I finish with I'll post here.
Cswiftcomposer

Post by Cswiftcomposer »

Yea the staff..I think something similar to the one in the Sceptre of Fire would be a start. The Seal, i think should be like the Main Title Wesnoth Shield with four different colored jewel circles surrounding a large, clear crystal in the center. Again, the way both the staff and seal look depends on the history. Hey I can send you pics for ideas that could be useful. Yea the Premiere Mage is something Special.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

The campaign, by the way, is itself a historical tie, as the "War of the Dragons" is mentioned in the prophecy in Count Kromire.

I would be willing to tie it in with history, and even write some of it if you wanted( what's the approximate time?)
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Cswiftcomposer

Post by Cswiftcomposer »

Absolutely. Great! Yea. One more thing to keep in mind. The dragons made both items, staff and shield to counteract each other and destroy each other, just in case someone was to utilize the Staff like Vaxmos. And Yes, please write me some history. Key concepts are the history of the dragons, staff and seal, and the Argis Magic Academy and what happened that caused it to be abandoned and why the seal was kept there. The year is 353 YW. (Yea, I'm going to need an artist right about now who would be interested..Anybody know anyone?)
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I suggest you set it much later, so you have more freedom on the plot, whilst being able to link it in with such campaigns as IftU and AtS and the events referred to in them- this period also has a good timeline. Meanwhile, do you have any ideas on the staff or do I have free reign?
Cswiftcomposer

Post by Cswiftcomposer »

ok. how does 775 YW sound?..and so far free reign. I don't know many here, so go right ahead and recruit.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Sorry, I meant the staff of Vaxmos( though yes, getting other people is a good idea, especially a coder). Also, I think the time period should be even later, perhaps 1000-1200 or so YW? Of course it is your choice.