Password for hotseat (local) multiplayer

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
comecra

Password for hotseat (local) multiplayer

Post by comecra »

I tried to play hotseat (local) multiplayer with my friends the other day. The problem is: there is no password and after a player presses "end turn" he will imediately see minimap of other player. Please do a simple password for each player that would hide minimap and position of units. It does not have to be sophisticated. Although it would be great a player can leave the saved game on friends computer.
Last edited by comecra on June 1st, 2012, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xudo

Re: Password for hotseat multiplayer

Post by Xudo »

It's nice to see what you trust to your friends.

I think this subject falls under FPI#14.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Password for hotseat (local) multiplayer

Post by Ravana »

Create 1 more side per player, that has 1 unreachable nonleader unit and put it between each player side.
comecra

Post by comecra »

2 xudojnik
I trust my friends. And these passwords are not to secure them from cheating but to dark my minimap and units locations for them to make possible local hotseat multiplayer with fog of war on.

2 Ravana
That's a good idea, thank you. But a simple password or proper darkscreen with button "press here to play second player" will make the game more enjoyable.

---

It should be an option, not the default one. I personally more enjoy playing with my real life friends in hot seat mode. Unfortunatelly we have to disable fog of war because there is a bug that allows to see units of previous player at the beggining of your turn.

There are a lot of options. The most natural IMHO is just to make optional fullscreen non transparent form with big CLOSE button in the center. Or the thing might be done more neatly -- see heroes of might and magic design.
Last edited by Iris on June 1st, 2012, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged two consecutive posts.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

This is not related to FPI #14 at all. That concerns loading single player games, usually to get different results from the RNG. This idea relates to multiplayer hotseat, with no saving or loading involved.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

While I do think that an intermediary screen (ala HoMM) that is neutral and just says "X's turn" and you click that to actually get to the other player's turn would be a nice touch, I'm not sure how high a priority it would be to include.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Thrawn wrote:I'm not sure how high a priority it would be to include.
Unless some other developer replies, you can safely assume “patches welcome”.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Thrawn wrote:I'm not sure how high a priority it would be to include.
You can get some idea of the priority from the fact that FR #3856 [Gna.org] has been open since 2004 (BfW version 0.8.8).

On the other hand, that feature request is only for an intermediary screen. Nowhere in that, nor in the two bugs marked as duplicates of it, nor in the two previous topics in this forum that I found regarding hotseat information sharing, is there any mention of using passwords. The original request here was almost exclusively for passwords; the desire to hide the map was basically squeezed in as an off-hand remark. A remark that I almost missed seeing the first time I read the opening post here. (My initial reaction was that entering a password each turn could be a major annoyance. Hiding the map does make sense, though.)