Unable to install in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mausmerryjest

Unable to install in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Post by mausmerryjest »

I simply can't get Wesnoth installed on my Windos 7 machine. Just as the installer kicks off, I get this error:

Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Wesnoth\wesnoth.exe

At this point it's a lost cause- if the exe can't be installed then there's no reason to continue with the installation. But I told the program to ignore to see what else was wrong. Towards the end, the same error popped up for a veritable army of .dll files. The previous version is just as obtuse in installing as this is.

End result: Battle for Wesnoth will not install in my Windows 7 machine. I am using Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit. I have tried it installing it in the x86 program files folder, and just about everywhere else with the same result, running it as administrator, giving it full permissions. Nothing. 1.10.2 and 1.10.3 simply refuse to install correctly.

Help! I REALLY want to play my Wesnoth :( This is a new machine, so obviously I don't have it installed here.
alexanderthegre

Re: Unable to install in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Post by alexanderthegre »

Are you running it as administrator?
mausmerryjest

Post by mausmerryjest »

mausmerryjest wrote: I have tried it installing it in the x86 program files folder, and just about everywhere else with the same result, running it as administrator, giving it full permissions. Nothing. 1.10.2 and 1.10.3 simply refuse to install correctly.
Yeah, it was one of the first things I tried.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

win7 64bit is perhaps the worst supported system among the ones said to be supported. xD
options I can think of
-Do you still have the machine from before ? Did it have xp 32 bit or so with a working wesnoth install ? You could try to just copy the installation folder. You don't get an entry in the start menu, but should be able to launch it like a portable application. (AFAIK 32bit compiled applications run as well on 64bit systems ? At least wesnoth's windows release is meant to be used like this.)
-If you feel technical enough you could try to compile wesnoth; download the source and follow the projectfiles/CodeBlocks/Readme.txt in there, I have some reports about it working out-of-the-box for people on win 7 (not sure whether 64 bit though). Unfortunately I didn't include the needed dlls in the downloadable package so you'd still need a wesnoth install somewhere. If building fails for you then, you might have some more hints about what's wrong.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I don't know if you've tried this already, but I'm on Windows 7 64 bit and I can install Wesnoth under C:\Users\*your user name*\AppData\Local

You can also install Wesnoth on a flashdrive. Just make sure you choose the option to have the userdata stored in the installation directory, otherwise you'll lose all your add-ons if you move to another computer.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

How about installing to a usb device? Never had any problems with that, but then again I never used anything else besides 1.9 on a Win7 machine.

Edit: Ninja'd

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
mausmerryjest

Post by mausmerryjest »

Unfortunately I do not have the old computer, it was stolen. I'm not technical enough to do a full compile, and it sounds like I still need an install from somewhere, so it wouldn't do any good.

I tried installing it to my flash drive--- this time I went with version 1.9.14. Same error, wesnoth.exe could not be opened. I tried installing it to the AppData folder, etc, same error. I even tried to go the 7-Zip way, but that didn't work either.

I guess this is where Wesnoth and I part ways :(
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Did you check the filesize of the installer? Maybe it is corrupted, but that would mean, both of them that you tried would be broken and that's not very likely if you are on a stable net-connection.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
mausmerryjest

Post by mausmerryjest »

I did, alas, the file sizes are as they should be :(
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Failure to write an executable, regardless of where it is trying to go? Maybe your antivirus / anti-malware software is running interference? (Or maybe it failed and there is some sort of malware running interference?)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

HomerJ wrote:Did you check the filesize of the installer?
It’d be potentially more accurate to check its MD5 or SHA1 sum; the correct ones can be seen in SF.net (e.g. here, where the files for 1.10.3 are) by clicking on the i icon to the right of the file names. I don’t have any software recommendations for doing this on Windows, though, since I haven’t used that platform for years.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.