Cities

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Shadow

Cities

Post by Shadow »

OK this is only a suggestion some time ago cities were suggested but this topic went down a little bit. I´ve got an idea. The current basic graphics of castles and camps can be filled with buildings (most past villages got a wall around)

I have made a small graphic this only a short try and I know it`s ugly (don´t remember me). But it should show what I want to suggest, the villages and other stuff can be added later on the base of the fortress within the cfg file of the map and the developer can build these villages after their own taste but some new buildings must be made( I thought a granary or a windmill, etc...)

comments and opinions?
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Problem is that adding building to castles, makes the background busier, and thus makes it hard to distinguish unit image. The simpler the background terrain, the easier it is to see units at a glance.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

If the buildings are limeted to a small set of colours i wouldn´t think it´s a problem and I still thing it´s worth a try isn´t it.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I think that the castle floor looks ugly contrasted with the buildings. If you could retain the wall (or even the stockade an encampment uses), but dump the floor, it would look better.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Roel

Post by Roel »

I suddenly want to play age of empires
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Roel wrote:I suddenly want to play age of empires
Ha ha! :D
pg

Post by pg »

I always thought villages in Wesnoth represented small cities, but it'd be cool if there were graphics to represent metropolises or fortified cities(like one surrounded by walls). You can make those things now but they turnout to be huge. See this for an example -

It'd be nice to have maybe a drawbridge or gate castle so you could put roads like I have them.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/o ... 091-00.gif - shows some dense cities. Doesn't look that great but it's ok. The main thing it shows is how dense large cities are something I imagine it would be hard to do given the current scale of the villages, and castles in Wesnoth.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

I think this is a much improved solution graphic-wise and in terms of playability to how cities are portrayed in Wesnoth currently (such as the one pg shows). It'd be great to be able to recruit straight into your "city villages".

I especially like the way the wall just forms on the outer perimeter of the castle, not around every castle hex!

I agree though that the colors are a bit too bright and cartoony when these villages are put next to each other on a grey background.
scott

Post by scott »

pg wrote:http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/o ... 091-00.gif - shows some dense cities. Doesn't look that great but it's ok.
Could you post this picture? All I get is some moby games logo. Maybe it's because I'm not using a PC!

The Liberty campaign has some close-scale villages. It's an interesting effect since the terrain is largely intended to be symbolic (WTIMW*) and we're getting literal. Circon's indoor scenario sort of kicked it all off.

* Wesnoth terrain is miles wide

Edit: there are 3 close scale structures in Liberty if you count the last scenario, where I try to imitate gates and drawbridges
Last edited by scott on December 7th, 2004, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

scott wrote:Could you post this picture? All I get is some moby games logo. Maybe it's because I'm not using a PC!
I impersonated Windows IE (with a Safari hack, download here), and I still didn't get anything.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

In Safari, I clicked the link and then selected the URL and pressed enter (NOT reload) to get the image. If that doesn't work, copying it to another window should.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

pg wrote:I always thought villages in Wesnoth represented small cities, but it'd be cool if there were graphics to represent metropolises or fortified cities(like one surrounded by walls). You can make those things now but they turnout to be huge.

It'd be nice to have maybe a drawbridge or gate castle so you could put roads like I have them.
You can find something similar to this in the multiplayer map 'Siege castles', though I didn't intend them to be entire cities, just self-sufficient castles. However, it could serve as inspiration.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Ok new developement, again not perfect, but it wil be something like that in the end.

No hard edges it won´t diffuses units who stand on the hex
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

The question I have is, what are the in game effects of this. Staring at the picture, I think it might confuse the issues of: what is the defense (is it castle or village)? Do units get healing on the buildings? Do the buildings provide gold/upkeep and are capturable?
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

It should just display big cities for more it must be declared in the cfg files. It´s only a kind of decoration. Of course they can be capturable or anything else if it´s needed