Four Lands (new map) - Isar cross replacement?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cypreess

Four Lands (new map) - Isar cross replacement?

Post by cypreess »

HI,

I've played over and over again on Isar cross and get little bored of this map. I decided to make my own.

My purpose was to make a map that is compact, fast (like Isar is) and favorize a little more water and flighting units (especially deep water for undeads).

All comments are welcome. (Consider that this was my first map, therefore I read all recommendation on this forum about creating new maps). Allies are Player1 and Player4 vs Player2 and Player3.
FourLands.jpg

PS. How to edit Map default settings (like gold, sides, etc?)
Attachments
Four Lands v1.zip
(936 Bytes) Downloaded 229 times
A Guy

Re: Four Lands (new map) - Isar cross replacement?

Post by A Guy »

Not a bad start. There is too much hilly terrain for my liking though, gives dwarves a huge advantage.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Midpoint village is the hallmark of the new mapmaker.
I suggest reading the guides; there's a lot of good information there.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
cypreess

Post by cypreess »

So I did some MP plays, get some comments from other players, read carefully all tips how to create balanced map, and after two iterations came with this:
FourLands2.1.jpg
Four Lands v2.1.zip
(977 Bytes) Downloaded 236 times
PS. After I submitted I saw that there is one hext upper left that should be removed.
PS2. Windmill is not an another village in 2.1. So number of cities are balanced.
cypreess

Post by cypreess »

Just a few modification, v2.2

PS. Can anybody tell me how to define default settings for map (names of sides, sides configuration, starting money). I can't find appropriate preferences settings in the MapEditor.
Four-Lands-v2.2.jpg
Four Lands v2.2.zip
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

cypreess wrote: Can anybody tell me how to define default settings for map (names of sides, sides configuration, starting money). I can't find appropriate preferences settings in the MapEditor.
You have to make a scenario for it, there is nothing in the editor for it (oh how I wish Wesnoth had Warcraft III's editor)
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and say someone famous said it"
-Abraham Lincoln
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Nightshayde wrote: You have to make a scenario for it, there is nothing in the editor for it (oh how I wish Wesnoth had Warcraft III's editor)
In 1.11, the editor is being changed a whole lot, so you'll be able to set much more directly via the editor. This won't work for 1.10, though.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I like the first version best, but it does have too many hills, and I think the latest version has a tad too much flat and not enough water. Maybe something that's a combination of the two? I like what you're doing here, by the way. Keep it up. :D
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

From my small experience in balancing, I know that it's very important to have neutral or balanced terrain around villages, especially the ones in the middle. You see, in your map one of the middle villages is next to a mountain and the second one next to a forested hill. Forested hill is ok, but mountain would favor the dwarves too much. And I agree that there is a bit too much flat in the center, there is not even a single hill without forest. And my last comment would be that there's almost no way to retreat units for players north and south, their villages are very far, while east&south have their middle village. I'd move one village closer to the middle, or perhaps even place it on the far bottom hex.
But overall, this map looks very promising, I'd love to play-test it sometime :)
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Koo

Post by Koo »

Much of flat and swamps. This is advantage for Drakes (with Saurians). Sand also is favorable for Saurians.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Koo wrote:Much of flat and swamps. This is advantage for Drakes (with Saurians). Sand also is favorable for Saurians.
Normally I would agree with you, but on a map of this small size it may help the drakes compensate for the loss in mobility advantage.

Dunno was correct with what he said about not placing a mountain next to a village. That is mentioned in the tips thread:
Guide for designing MP maps wrote: Putting mountains next to villages is generally avoided...
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."