1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.9/1.10 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't remember if I programmed the hits, but the trolls are supposed to crush you if you try to fight them. Run away from them, to the south, and it shouldn't be too bad.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
taptap

Post by taptap »

Is this campaign considered to be balanced on hard difficulty? I lose interest at latest in the third scenario (due to not being able to win it) and even the first one is quite luck-dependent.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

taptap wrote:Is this campaign considered to be balanced on hard difficulty?
Nope, apparently not.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Swiss_Army_Cheese

Post by Swiss_Army_Cheese »

On the issue of the price-bug for some of the items for sale, I can admit that I was hoping that you no one else would notice it, so that I would be free to abuse it in future.
But to be more specific on which items are for free, it is the shop that sells the boots, and the anti-cold-coats which have the bugged prices. The shopping for the store that sells the shield, the arrows, and the sword works fine.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for letting me know, I'll look at it.
william150

Post by william150 »

in several scenarios an error called image doesn't fit on canvas. an example is the scenery volcano when nemesis appears.
aceyracy

Post by aceyracy »

Playing Bad Moon Rising on the latest Wesnoth release and having just downloaded your add on. Enjoying it but finding it quite tough, especially Payback - I get most of the way down the left hand branch to in sight of the two fortified hexes with a draug on them (closing the side tunnels on my way), but then just get swarmed with skeletons (knights and archers). Although I can hold out a while, I just can't move as I am always surrounded, how can I get past this army of skeletons?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

william150 wrote:in several scenarios an error called image doesn't fit on canvas. an example is the scenery volcano when nemesis appears.
That sounds familiar, though I don't think it happens to me (OS dependent maybe?) I think you can get around it by deleting the image file in the portraits folder.
aceyracy wrote:Playing Bad Moon Rising on the latest Wesnoth release and having just downloaded your add on. Enjoying it but finding it quite tough, especially Payback - I get most of the way down the left hand branch to in sight of the two fortified hexes with a draug on them (closing the side tunnels on my way), but then just get swarmed with skeletons (knights and archers). Although I can hold out a while, I just can't move as I am always surrounded, how can I get past this army of skeletons?
It sounds like you had the right idea, closing the tunnels... It's been a while since I've played it, maybe something has changed with the AI (or something). I'll look at it this weekend.
lipk

Post by lipk »

Recently, I decided to replay the campaign. Since this time I'm interested in the art and story improvements rather than the battles, I picked Easy. It's not quite easy, though.

Scenario 3 (A Trial) seems to be impossible to win. Whenever I hit my opponent, it simply disappears just to come back fully healed in the next turn. I can't reach the holy water, because I get killed on the way. I ended up summoning Nemesis via :debug in order to win the scenario, but then the next one also looks, well, not impossible but at least insanely hard for Easy.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lipk wrote:Scenario 3 (A Trial) seems to be impossible to win. Whenever I hit my opponent, it simply disappears just to come back fully healed in the next turn. I can't reach the holy water, because I get killed on the way. I ended up summoning Nemesis via :debug in order to win the scenario, but then the next one also looks, well, not impossible but at least insanely hard for Easy.
I just played this while trying to see aceyracy's problem, and found this scenario almost trivial (on medium - in this case same as easy). So, I'm not sure what to say or do. The only thing I can think is that my Scarrion was a spearman, maybe yours was leveled up, and so the leveled up opponent was too much?
lipk wrote:Recently, I decided to replay the campaign. Since this time I'm interested in the art and story improvements rather than the battles, I picked Easy. It's not quite easy, though.
Heads up that I have not really been working on this recently, my efforts have been on Tales of the Setting Sun, some of which will be ported back to this campaign. But maybe I should get back to this. Starting with the difficulty selection menu.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Apparently I am missing something major, but on hard I found it impossible to escape from the Necromancer (scenario 4, when I got past the first one luckily once). On medium, I escape, get past the next, but invariably am swamped with skeletons when returning to the Necromancers cave (scenario 6?, the one where one AI has about 300 base income + some thousand initial gold). Same problem as aceyracy. How is anyone managing to win this ever - yes even when closing the side entrances and with my 3 helpers levelled up to L3 and 3 AMLAs for the L4 hero but I can't make any progress anymore from there on. Are there some hidden reinforcements I missed? Either there was some major change in AI behavior or this scenario was balanced in debug mode or well I missed some major reinforcements. So sad, when the story actually looks interesting.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Well, I played Payback through and while it isn't easy, and I did reload twice, it didn't strike me as so outrageous. My three helpers died near the end, but I was able to reach and kill the Necromancer. Because of the way I have it coded, there is no replay unfortunately.

Maybe there is something I'm doing because I have insider knowledge, and it isn't obvious to most players, but I'm not sure what that would be. Keep Scarrion moving, utilize his leadership when possible, target the archers more than the revenants, keep the primevals on cave rather than flat terrain, when possible.
lipk

Post by lipk »

I just played this while trying to see aceyracy's problem, and found this scenario almost trivial (on medium - in this case same as easy). So, I'm not sure what to say or do. The only thing I can think is that my Scarrion was a spearman, maybe yours was leveled up, and so the leveled up opponent was too much?
Please have a look at this replay.
Attachments
RHKF1-A_Trial_replay.gz
(8.25 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The replay stopped after a couple of turns, but I could see that we were not quite looking at the same scenario. Not sure how it happened, but it appears I failed to upload a couple of releases. So...

1.4.4 has been uploaded to the add-on server. It should address most of the issues raised here. Except for Payback, most likely.

Thanks.
lipk

Post by lipk »

It's still kind of broken here, when I hit the opponent, it gets about 100000 hitpoints (not sure if that's an error in your code, though).