Since Eastern Invasion is ridiculous, I want to remake it.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AxalaraFlame

Since Eastern Invasion is ridiculous, I want to remake it.

Post by AxalaraFlame »

I am enough with many wesnoth mainline(MAINLINE!) campaigns make veeeeerrrrry poooooor sense for their stories. It is enough! Let me name a few and let all queries fall to me! I do not fear any queries!

Eastern Invasion!
This whole story completely make no sense! An army which is sent to march south to eliminate undead but finally flee to very far very cold north without big losses but in contrary decimate orcs and undead to grow stronger and stronger during which journey and astonishingly BE decimated at scenerio "Evacuation" and finally draw back to their bedamned capital only to resist 18 turns for a 6v6 duel?!

This is madness, men! I stand here loudly crying for remake this whole campaign!
Last edited by AxalaraFlame on May 21st, 2012, 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
enchilado

Re: It is time. Let us be frankly!

Post by enchilado »

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say I'm highly anticipating your more plausible rewrite.
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

AxalaraFlame wrote: I stand here loudly crying for remake this whole campaign!
I'm sure if you want to remake it, we'd all be happy to play it! :P

Seriously, nobody is going to do that much work on a well-established campaign, just because you want them to. Particularly as you didn't even ask nicely...though I'm not sure that saying "pretty please with a cherry on top" is going to get you anywhere in this case...

You need to remember that Wesnoth devs are not paid for their work - they're making a game that they enjoy, and I suspect that having us like it too is just a bonus. Even non-developers (UMC makers) make things that they personally want to play, and are unlikely to make anything major if somebody else asks them to.

Basically it sounds like you're saying "I want this campaign to be different, but I won't do the work myself" - so why should anyone else be expected to do it for you?

EDIT: Enchilado beat me to it...
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Yes! And while we're at it, what's up with Star Wars eh? An empire consisting of thousands of worlds finally thrown over by tiny furry Ewoks? Wth!

As if human history made so much sense at all times...

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

HomerJ wrote:Yes! And while we're at it, what's up with Star Wars eh? An empire consisting of thousands of worlds finally thrown over by tiny furry Ewoks? Wth!
hehe, reminds me of this. Robot Chicken is the master of parodying star wars.

P.S: and sorry for going a little off-topic
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

It seems that many people think so just as I do. Good. Well I am bad at WML but I think remake maps, conversations, the whole story and ways of journey is doable. This is not even a part of history, but very unclimaticly a silly thing to do. Let me elaborate this with a map:
This journey is called "making sense"? Oh come on! I explain this journey as "Dacyn and Gweddery came to north lands for a winter vacation".
This journey is called "making sense"? Oh come on! I explain this journey as "Dacyn and Gweddery came to north lands for a winter vacation".
Last edited by AxalaraFlame on May 21st, 2012, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

So how do we do it? Well, my idea is to revolutionize the whole design of this campaign. Since the journey is totally wrong (and with evidence), I think remake a story is the first thing.

What kind of better stories do you guys have?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

AxalaraFlame wrote:I think remake a story is the first thing. What kind of better stories do you guys have?
You did not understand. The real question is what kind of better story do you have? You can't tell us to rewrite an entire campaign to make you happy--even if you have evidence. If you want it fixed, you have to fix it.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

You did not understand. The real question is what kind of better story do you have? You can't tell us to rewrite an entire campaign to make you happy--even if you have evidence. If you want it fixed, you have to fix it.
Thank you. Can I consider that words as authorizing me adapting this campaign? I will be glad to do so.

I designed another journey and story for this campaign. These are the processes:
1. King Konard knows exactly it was another undead menace at the begining of the campaign. Since humans have fought undead for nearly or even more than a thousand years, they have horrific experiences. So, the King sends Gweddery,Dacyn and an entire army, not to guard and finally escape from Soradoc, but was sent intended to eliminate undead force once and for all!

2. They head to Fort Soradoc, find that an undead scouting force appears in sight. They destroyed them all without more ado, as a warming experience. Kill each dark sorcessors guarantees an arcane-amulet, which are used for binding the will of undead. The amulets now gives not only an arcane attack but also 20% arcane resistances bonus.

3. The army head forward, and encounter a few orcish attacks. They finally meet the local colonists. These poor men were in peril, fighting undead alone. Gweddery and Dacyn smashed these undead again and evacuated the residents. As gratefulness, local residents joined them; now they can recruit not only loyalists but also footpads and thugs. (Humans have fought undead for a millennium, even illiterates should know to use impact weapon against UD)

4. They move further and meet Owaec, the local colonists offical. They repelled another wave of undead attack. Owaec told them astonishing news of the east. He also told them that a scouting party, led by a Paladin, has come to Estmark Hills to detect the source of eerie undead events. However, these brave men never came back.

5. Heros come to Estmark Hills, ready to eliminate undead. However, they were entrapped and besieged, and surprisingly reveal that beneath all small-scale undead assaults, there is a big plot. Great numers of undead units are massing and gathering at Estmark, lead by Ravanal. Their final purpose is to destroy the kingdom of wesnoth, and overwhelm Weldyn. Gweddery and Dacyn hardly not get out that place, but their loss is great. Still, as the oringinal version set, you can save the paladins and other prisoners. I plan to give these units all loyal trait, and instead of all knights I plan to give one white mage, one paladin, two HIs, one SC and an outlaw(as wayfarer).

6. Heros plan to get back to Fort Soradoc and prepare for war. On the way retreating back, undead chase aftert them. Players will still pass through the scenerio Elven Alliance and Xenophobia. What's more, there will be an extra scenerio for humans coorperating with drakes, fighting against the Skeleton Dragon.

7. Finally, the heros come back to Soradoc. The enemies approach near and start to attack the stronghold. So this can be a city-defense scenerio. The fierce battle continues three days, finally, when the sun rises at the fourth day, undead withdrawl. However, the scouts sent to report situations to the king did not come back.

8. After leaving enough troops to defend the fortress, Gweddery and Dacyn came back to Weldyn, but only to find Weldyn is besieged. The undead can submerge, so when Ravanal find his army cannot breach the defense of Fort Soradoc, he commanded them to crossed River Weldyn. Though they cross slowly, but they can cross exhaustlessly. and the battle at Fort Soradoc is just a bait, largely slowed down Gweddery's force. When they are spotted landing on ford, it was too late. The undead are so many. Weldyn is soon besieged by swarming undead. Gweddery and Dacyn assaulted the undead keep from north and break in to save Weldyn. After a horrifying battle undead are decimated, but humans also have great loss. More undead are spotted to have landed on from different directions and lining up. Mal Ravanal came to the battlefield and lead his soldiers himself. A council is held, and the finale is to start very soon.

10. The finale started and continued several days, and it should be the fiercest war that Irdya has ever witnessed. Humans finally win the battle in numerical disadvantege, Ravanal is killed, but the capital city was nearly destroyed.

11. Ravanal's minions spread to the whole continent and caused lots of trouble and disaters in the next decade. Humans signed millitary mutual-assistance pacts to unite all races in the free world to fight against undead. The year was 624 YW. Eight years later, most of the undead are eliminated. King Konard declares the war is victorious.
Last edited by AxalaraFlame on May 20th, 2012, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

AxalaraFlame wrote: Thank you. Can I consider that words as authorizing me adapting this campaign? I will glad to do so.
While I am not in charge of any of the mainline business, I think there is no one preventing you from rewriting the campaign. However, be sure to know that having a campaign accepted in mainline is a high goal, and needs very high quality. If you cannot offer this, chances are that your remake might get lost. Especially since you seem to opt for a (at least partially) total rewrite, you have to do all the balancing stuff again (and, of course, provide a good storyline and a good, interesting realization with not only "Kill all enemy leaders"-type of battles). So, this will take a lot of your time, and you have no guarantee that it actually will be accepted.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

I have edited and written them again. Now the story is completed, do you think that is fine?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

AxalaraFlame wrote:I have edited and written them again. Now the story is completed, do you think that is fine?
I think the best procedure is to fork the campaign, do your editing and publish it on the addon server.

Depending on the feedback you get, the community can consider replacing the current mainline campaign with your version.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

fabi wrote:
AxalaraFlame wrote:I have edited and written them again. Now the story is completed, do you think that is fine?
I think the best procedure is to fork the campaign, do your editing and publish it on the addon server.

Depending on the feedback you get, the community can consider replacing the current mainline campaign with your version.
OMGOMG。。。。。。 :augh: This is the problem. I am a noob at campaign making. I could only make modifications on the oringinal versions, and I don't know how to upload an add-on.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Since Eastern Invasion is ridiculous, I want to remake i

Post by beetlenaut »

You're in luck! There is a "Create" link at the top of this very page. It is there to solve your problem.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
AxalaraFlame

Re: Since Eastern Invasion is ridiculous, I want to remake i

Post by AxalaraFlame »

beetlenaut wrote:You're in luck! There is a "Create" link at the top of this very page. It is there to solve your problem.
You mean I can ask any kinds of questions and any kinds of scenerios I wanna create? Great.